Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

Old March 29th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

I would like to assemble a quilt top with blocks representing all the
service men and women killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Unfortunately,
the death toll is now over 2300. So I would like to use machine piecing
to get near the current total. Each additional block would then be
added by hand.

The design of the quilt would be simple square blocks, 2.5" finished.
To facilitate assembly, blocks would be joined into units that were 10
blocks by 10 blocks for a total of 25.5 inches (unfinished). The
individual blocks and 10x10 units could be any color, with or without
inscriptions or signatures.

The quilt top could be made available for display if its safety can be
assured. (Once worked on a similar project that disappeared after being
borrowed.)

Would anyone like to participate in this effort? Looking for 23 people
to make one 10x10 unit.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 29th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This is an awesome idea, and a noble undertaking. You say you need 23
people to make 100 miniature blocks each? That seems quite intimidating to
me, that's a lot of blocks. What if we all just mail in several 2.5" blocks
(raw measurement 3" - right?), and then after the first batch, say in 4 to 6
weeks, put out another call? You could keep calling every couple months
until you have all 2300 blocks. I realize this means you would have the
entire assembly, but you could sew them together in tens as they come in,
and it would just progress as it goes. What do think of this idea?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old March 29th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Susan,

Do you want us to make a 10X10 unit, then just send it to you?? And,
are you going to put the names on it? What will be done with the quilt
once you are finished?? My thinking is that it should be sent to the
White HOuse as a reminder, but that is just me. NO, I don't want this
to turn into a political argument. I would make the same suggestion
regardless of who was in the White House, just expressing my thoughts.

Larisa

Old March 29th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Susan, you're talking about 2.5 inch squares of fabric rather than miniature
blocks, right? If so, I'd be glad to help.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

et...

Old March 29th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Susan/Betsy:
This is an interesting concept. Please
clarify what you mean/need for each 2.5"
block. If it is just a square of fabric, then
I could do the 10 by 19 unit.
PAT

Old March 29th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I would be happy to participate but I have one awful suggestion. Since
we will probably finish the quilt before the troups are brought back
to US I suggest a quilt as you go technique to which squares could be
added as necessary. This is a very sad commentary on the situation but
otherwise how are you going to honor everyone. You could set the
number as those who had been killed as of the 2006 anniversary of the
start of the war. If the quilt has no borders and you use sashing
between your 10 by 10 squares, additional squares could be added each
year. I know you want this to honor those who have died and not be a
political statement but I can't see how you can do both.

I thank you for the number of Quilts of Valor you have made.

Susan Price

Old March 29th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The 10x10 units would be composed of 3" unfinished squares, not pieced
blocks, just plain fabric squares. High contrast squares would be
better to represent the individual lives they represent. But each
contributor is free to choose to piece mini-blocks and choose colors.

I wanted to get help assembling the quilt to date. After that I can
hand sew an additional square if another fatality occurs. If, praying
that it doesn't happen.

I didn't anticipate writing names on each square, rather leave it up to
anyone contributing to writing anything they might wish on squares.
This could be names from your state or local.

I really didn't have any plans to add batting and a back. Perhaps this
could be done when our troops are all home safely.

There is no intention to politicize the war. Just a way to show people
what 2300+ looks like. They are our brothers, sisters, mother, fathers,
sons and daughters. They were real people with family and friends who
weep for them.

Yes, I have been against our invasion of Iraq from the first. But that
doesn't stop me from making quilts of valor for the men and women
wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. I support the warriors 100%; I do not
support the war. I say this as some might think I have an ulterior
motive. No, I just cry with each new casualty report.

Please continue to post any questions or suggestions you may have about
this project. It will be a collective act of love and art.
--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 29th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Susan,

Count me in.

Michelle in NV

Old March 29th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think I can do this. Is there a deadline? (I work better with one) Can I
make my squares all different patriotic (red/white/blue) fabrics? (yes, I
really have that many)

--
TerriLee in WA (state)

et...