Suggestions for a substitute?

Old July 21st 03, 01:55 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:55:51 -0400, spampot wrote:

At this year's Sheep & Wool Fest, I picked up a pattern at the Euroflax
booth for a knitted handbag. It called for the chunky Euroflax, which
looks rather raffia-like, but that yarn only comes in a few weird
colors, none of which I like or can even stand. I'd like to use a
neutral of some kind. I know I could swatch til I found the right gauge
yarn, but I want something sturdy like the Euroflax stuff. Does anyone
have any suggestions for a suitable substitute?

I would probably take a stab at using polished hemp twine, but skeining it
and washing it first, as it's stiff as wire otherwise. Trouble is, you'd be
stuck with the unbleached tan color it comes in, which may not be any
better than any of the Euroflax colors. Hemp does take natural dyes well,
but I have not tried dying it with any other sort of dye.

As I recall, Fiberworks over in Ashton, MD has a bulky linen or linen/rayon
in some nice colors. Of course she just finished her summer sale, so it may
be gone by now. I did see some when I was there last Wednesday, though.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/