double points on an airflight?

Old July 19th 03, 12:54 AM
webnutiam

Default double points on an airflight?

Can you take your double point needles on an airplane?

We will be flying from Toronto to Vancouver next week and I'm wishing to
knit on the 5 hour flight.

Glenna

Old July 19th 03, 01:30 AM
SlinkyToy

Check the website of whatever agency is the Canadian equivalent of the FAA.
Most knitting needles are now cleared for US flights, but most folks I know
who take knitting in their carry-on luggage also take a copy of the FAA
bulletin stating that knitting is OK.

.. .

Old July 19th 03, 02:42 AM
webnutiam

I looked it up at Transport Canada website. Not allowed to knit :-(

Knitting needles fall under "penetrating objects" which is between "Parts of
guns" and "Pyrotechnics" on the list of items not allowed in carry on
luggage.

So much for bringing my fireworks too!

Thanks Slinky

Glenna

SlinkyToy" wrote in message
news
Check the website of whatever agency is the Canadian equivalent of the

FAA.
Most knitting needles are now cleared for US flights, but most folks I

know
who take knitting in their carry-on luggage also take a copy of the FAA
bulletin stating that knitting is OK.

.. .

Old July 19th 03, 04:58 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "webnutiam"
wrote:

Can you take your double point needles on an airplane?

We will be flying from Toronto to Vancouver next week and I'm wishing to
knit on the 5 hour flight.

Glenna

No you may not......they will take them and they go in the garbage. I
have lost several scissors, Yes I should know better, but sometimes the
scissors are hidden in with the yarn for my kumihimo.

There are large signs in the Toronto airport telling you what you may and
what you cannot bring aboard a plane. But by the time you come in
theairport it is to late, unless someone stays behind.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old July 19th 03, 04:59 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "webnutiam"
wrote:

I looked it up at Transport Canada website. Not allowed to knit :-(

Knitting needles fall under "penetrating objects" which is between "Parts of
guns" and "Pyrotechnics" on the list of items not allowed in carry on
luggage.

So much for bringing my fireworks too!

Thanks Slinky

stick to your broom kiddo, no problems there,..... you may bring what ever
you like LOL

Els

Glenna

SlinkyToy" wrote in message
news
Check the website of whatever agency is the Canadian equivalent of the

FAA.
Most knitting needles are now cleared for US flights, but most folks I

know
who take knitting in their carry-on luggage also take a copy of the FAA
bulletin stating that knitting is OK.

.. .

Old July 19th 03, 06:40 PM
AGRES

The regulation is silly. Canadians should tell their government that the
regulation is silly and unfair. A "Cross" pen (or mechanical drawing
pencil) is as dangerous a "penetrating object" as wooden or plastic
knitting needles. Yet, the pens and pencils are permitted on board
aircraft. Make your government think about their regulations and
rationalize them. As long as anyone can take a sharp pencil onto an
aircraft, there is no security benefit in forbidding wooden or plastic
knitting needles.

A prohibition on knitting needles only means that the regulation was drafted
without a risk analysis. It means that the department was not thinking. Do
you really feel safer knowing that your government is not really thinking?
Wake them up, and put them to work. Canadians, get out your pens and pencils
and write some letters!

Get some pencils of the appropriate size, sharpen them, then smooth the
tapered area with sand paper and wax the tapered area to smooth it out.
These are pencils, not "knitting needles." They should be allowed on board
aircraft. Then, there is no regulation to prevent you from wrapping yarn
around your pencils while in the air.

Aaron

"webnutiam" wrote in message
.. .
I looked it up at Transport Canada website. Not allowed to knit :-(

Knitting needles fall under "penetrating objects" which is between "Parts

of
guns" and "Pyrotechnics" on the list of items not allowed in carry on
luggage.

So much for bringing my fireworks too!

Thanks Slinky

Glenna

SlinkyToy" wrote in message
news
Check the website of whatever agency is the Canadian equivalent of the

FAA.
Most knitting needles are now cleared for US flights, but most folks I

know
who take knitting in their carry-on luggage also take a copy of the FAA
bulletin stating that knitting is OK.

.. .

Old July 19th 03, 11:54 PM
Els van Dam

In article pofSa.98383$N7.12304@sccrnsc03, "AGRES" wrote:

[...]

Aaron, I find arguing with bureaucracy...a waste of time....Even though we
have a liberal government at the moment......they are very conservative
and slow in making chances....:-))
by the way most of the safety rules for flying, after sept 11th are and
were layed down by the US government.... also for the Canandians

Els

"webnutiam" wrote in message
.. .
I looked it up at Transport Canada website. Not allowed to knit :-(

Knitting needles fall under "penetrating objects" which is between "Parts

of
guns" and "Pyrotechnics" on the list of items not allowed in carry on
luggage.

So much for bringing my fireworks too!

Thanks Slinky

Glenna

SlinkyToy" wrote in message
news
Check the website of whatever agency is the Canadian equivalent of the

FAA.
Most knitting needles are now cleared for US flights, but most folks I

know
who take knitting in their carry-on luggage also take a copy of the FAA
bulletin stating that knitting is OK.

"webnutiam" wrote in message
.. .
Can you take your double point needles on an airplane?

We will be flying from Toronto to Vancouver next week and I'm wishing

knit on the 5 hour flight.

Glenna

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Double needle quilting..... Leslie in MO Quilting 12 January 8th 05 02:12 PM
Thread - Double or not? Mika Quilting 6 June 23rd 04 12:54 PM
Matching Stars and points Diana Curtis Quilting 2 January 24th 04 01:10 AM
Photo of the Lone Star points MerryStahel Quilting 42 September 13th 03 12:33 PM
Double Happy Dance! Marcia Smith Quilting 5 September 2nd 03 06:38 PM