OT - Pronunciation of words

Old October 11th 05, 06:24 AM
Mystified One

Since I have trouble pronouncing it, I actually say foil wrap.

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
: Just curious, since pronunciations of other words are being discussed in
: another thread... Can someone from England please tell me how you, in
your
: part of the country, pronounce the word ALUMINUM please?
:
: My late mother-in-law (from Ashford Kent) used to say A-lu-MIN-ium. She
is
: the only person I (or my parents) had ever heard pronounce it this way.
The
: first time she said it, we honestly had no clue as to what she was talking
: about. She kept asking if we had any, and we thought she might have been
: talking about some sort of medication (like Tylenol for headaches, or
: Pepto-Bismal for stomach problems) that we don't have here in Canada, so
we
: said "No, we don't have that... what is it used for, maybe we have
something
: similar." That was when she said that it is silver coloured and shiny
and
: you cover food with it. The light went on over all of our heads and we
: said almost in unison "Ohhhh, aLUminum foil, yes we have that!" She
became
: very agitated and indignant and said "In England it is pronounced
: A-lu-MIN-ium, and since we speak *proper* English that is the correct way
of
: saying it, NOT the way you say it here in Canada."
:
: Peace!
: Gemini
:
:

Old October 11th 05, 06:40 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

OH GWEN all this wasted not pronounced letters :::
English is sometimes quite Enigmatic , to may of us ...
mirjam
laughing lafing

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:59:44 +1000, "Gwendoline Kelly"
wrote:

Shelagh, I agree with that - I admit we say Lef- ten -ant though.
My best - or worst- example of that is a place name we have here. It is
spelled GooNooGooNoo and is written as I have done, almost as though it is
four words. However the pronunciation in Gun ig a noo - work the sense of
that one out if you can?

God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Norma Woods" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I think

it's
spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it Al-u-min-ee-um in

my
mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we learned the English

pronunciation
"lef-ten-ant" instead of lieutenant.

That's another word that amazes me. How you get 'lef-ten-ant" out of the
spelling is a puzzle. I'm Canadian, and we usually stick with English
things, but to me on this word - it's LOO TEN ANT. (shrug)

Shelagh

Old October 11th 05, 06:52 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

To enhance the fun

When you say in English Me it is the Hebrew word for who ,
When you say in English Who it is the Hebrew word for HE,
when you say in English HE it is the Hebrew word for She
real translation for Me =Oty , Who =Me , He =HOO [who]
She =He
now work that one out hahahhah
mirjam

Old October 11th 05, 06:55 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Another problem we have are translations of names and words from the
Hebrew Bible into other languages ,,,,
Moses = Moshe , Jehuda =Juda, Elias =Elijahu , are the easy ones ,...
mirjam

Old October 11th 05, 06:58 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Well as you all know there are many --ants , they walk in big groups
mirjam
After that, of course it begs the question, is there a "wrong-ten-ant"?

how about an upsidedown ten ant?
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez louise!
running and ducking
Noreen

Old October 11th 05, 07:01 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Flying Ants are Male ants you know ??
Or 1 queen ......:::
mirjam ::::
OMGosh! I actually WAS thinking ten ants, but then tenant flew into my
head and I just HAD to go there, LOL! Noreen
the ants are marching one by one harrah, harrah, the ants are marching
one by one, harrah, harrah,....

Old October 11th 05, 07:05 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I have learned years ago , that many of those `curious ` spellings
were `invented` by scribes who got paid by the letter, thus they went
`out of their way ` to be creative about letter use.
mirjam
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:27:35 -0400, suzee wrote:

Shillelagh wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:

Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i" in

the

word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there. Aren't all our
differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay, but how come if it's spelled `aluminum' and you pronoun only those
letters, it sound like `aluminium'?

sue

I think you missed the post where she said there is the extra "i" in their
spelling. ALUMINIUM. ;)

Shelagh

Yeah, I saw that later. Just like the English to put extra vowels in
words....

sue

Old October 11th 05, 08:08 AM
M Rimmer

In message , Yarn Forward
writes

We many of these in Scotland.. one example being 'Milngavie'
pronounced 'Mulguy'

Or on England (and Canada) , Gloucester pronounced Gloster, Leicester
pronounced Lester, and Towcester pronounced Towster.

Or Ely pronounced Eelie, Islay pronounced Eye-lah, and best of all
Worcestershire pronounced Wusster.

What makes me laugh is English people complaining about Welsh place
names being difficult to pronounce - OK, Welsh has different rules for
example "y" makes an "i" sound, not a "yuh" sound, but once you know the
rules it's perfectly regular, whereas English seems to be deliberately
designed to make tourists feel stupid.
--
M Rimmer