best way to prepare fat quarters for washing

Old April 12th 05, 08:35 PM
Kate Dicey

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

I know you all will think I'm a dunce here, and I guess that's okay, but
I have never bought fat quarters before, and I am wondering if it's okay
to zigzag the edges of them before washing them or if that is not
recommended because it will distort the edges and put it out of square
or something and it might be better to use Fray Chek or nail polish or
something instead.

Yes, I'm obsessing-compulsing over doing this perfectly.

No, I don't have a serger.

Yes, the fabric is lovely and feels like it's good quality and I'm
delighted to know that. The lady who was selling it had a four-figure
rating on Ebay and a 100% satisfaction percentage so I'm not surprised.
It came with a sticker on it saying, "Thank you! Happy sewing!" which
I thought was really sweet, and there was NO propaganda trying to
encourage me to buy from them again, which is a plus in my book -- the
worst case I got of that type of thing was being notified by the seller
after the auction that now that I had bought something from them, I was
being put on their mailing list that will highlight all their latest
auctions, etc. Needless to say, I did not think kindly of that seller
for doing that.

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any ideas. I'm going to wash these babies
twice if I see any inkling of bleeding from any of them, because I don't
want the colors bleeding onto each other.

And does anybody know where is a place to buy reasonably-priced but
good-quality black fabric for the black part of the quilt? Fabric.com
doesn't have it.

Thanks tons for any info

Best idea I saw for stopping them fraying away to nothing was to pop
them into one of those underwear washing net bags: they get washed, but
don't have the freedom to tangle threads and fray to vanishinf point...

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old April 12th 05, 09:17 PM
BEI Design

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
I know you all will think I'm a dunce here, and I guess that's
okay, but I have never bought fat quarters before, and I am
wondering if it's okay to zigzag the edges of them before
washing them or if that is not recommended because it will
distort the edges and put it out of square or something and it
might be better to use Fray Chek or nail polish or something
instead.
Yes, I'm obsessing-compulsing over doing this perfectly.

Rather than a full machine-wash-and-dry, I would be inclined to soak
in very hot water, then air dry. Do it a couple of time if you really
see a lot of bleeding. If you really want to run them through a
washing machine, why not pink the edges? Any machine stitching will
be a problem later IMNSHO.

And does anybody know where is a place to buy reasonably-priced
but good-quality black fabric for the black part of the quilt?
Fabric.com doesn't have it.

I'm not sure exactly waht you're looking for. They have this:

http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/bcr-002.html
Fabric Content: 100% cotton Width: 45'' $2.75/yd.

and
http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/ebr-001.html
extra wide (108") at $6.95/yd.

Check TSWLTH flat-folds, *and* use a coupon?

http://www.fabricdepot.com/product.aspx?ItemKey=3378
44" $4.49/yd?
http://www.fabricdepot.com/Product.aspx?ItemKey=2408
60" $6.99/yd?
http://www.fabricdepot.com/Product.aspx?ItemKey=3295
44" $4.49/yd?

NAYY,

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 12th 05, 09:47 PM

BEI Design wrote:

Rather than a full machine-wash-and-dry, I would be inclined to soak
in very hot water, then air dry. Do it a couple of time if you really
see a lot of bleeding. If you really want to run them through a
washing machine, why not pink the edges? Any machine stitching will
be a problem later IMNSHO.

Will soaking in hot water and air drying take care of shrinkage as well?
If it will, that will be fine with me. I have a very nice clothesline
I could drape them over.

And does anybody know where is a place to buy reasonably-priced
but good-quality black fabric for the black part of the quilt?
Fabric.com doesn't have it.

I'm not sure exactly waht you're looking for. They have this:

*chuckle* I think I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, either.
It's for the primary quilt top fabric that the other fabrics are either
patched into or paper-pieced onto -- I'm sure this is probably not the
correct way to say it, but I hope that explains it.

http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/bcr-002.html
Fabric Content: 100% cotton Width: 45'' $2.75/yd.

Hey, I didn't know they send swatches. This is a great price if it's a
decent fabric.

Check TSWLTH flat-folds, *and* use a coupon?

I haven't been terribly impressed with the quality of their fabric, and
my eyes glaze over when I go in a store.

But the 60-inch Kona cotton would probably work -- good quality,
reasonable price for a Kaufman fabric. And I've bookmarked that web
site for further perusing.

Thanks bunches!
Old April 12th 05, 10:20 PM
Arri London

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

I know you all will think I'm a dunce here, and I guess that's okay, but
I have never bought fat quarters before, and I am wondering if it's okay
to zigzag the edges of them before washing them or if that is not
recommended because it will distort the edges and put it out of square
or something and it might be better to use Fray Chek or nail polish or
something instead.

My mother-the-quilter takes the fat quarters of similar colour and
washes them in a small net bag I made. Each one is ironed before using.
Same is done with lengths of fabric prior to any sewing or quilting; we
made net bags of different sizes.

Old April 12th 05, 10:23 PM
Sarah Dale

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
I know you all will think I'm a dunce here, and I guess that's okay, but
I have never bought fat quarters before, and I am wondering if it's okay
to zigzag the edges of them before washing them or if that is not
recommended because it will distort the edges and put it out of square
or something and it might be better to use Fray Chek or nail polish or
something instead.

Don't see why you shouldn't zigzag the edges and then wash them Melinda
- after all its how we all deal with yardage for other projects.

If you use fray check or nail polish the edges will be hard & horrible
and have to be cut off anyhow.

The thing is to be accurate and on-grain with your cutting, and
zigzaging the edges may distort the fabric a little, but you can always
rip it out after and give the FQ's a good press to return them to normal.

BTW - I really like your proposed quilt - comes of me being an
ex-librarian and a confirmed bookworm! And such a nice idea to do it for
your daughter at Uni.

One thing to think about is how your daughter is going to be able to
use, look after and launder the quilt. Remembering back to my student
days - stuff has to be bomb proof because anything and everything will
happen to it, and Uni washing machines and dryers are the industrial type!

I'm not a quilter myself but did go through a couple of years at the end
of Uni when I did a lot of hand sewn patchwork using papers.

HTH, Sarah
Old April 12th 05, 11:09 PM

Kate Dicey wrote:

Best idea I saw for stopping them fraying away to nothing was to pop
them into one of those underwear washing net bags: they get washed, but
don't have the freedom to tangle threads and fray to vanishinf point...

Hey, I have a few of those. I could group them by color.
Old April 12th 05, 11:13 PM

Sarah Dale wrote:

One thing to think about is how your daughter is going to be able to
use, look after and launder the quilt. Remembering back to my student
days - stuff has to be bomb proof because anything and everything will
happen to it, and Uni washing machines and dryers are the industrial type!

Oh, she already has a bedspread. This is just going to be something to
remind her that somebody at home loves her. I made one years ago for my
13YODS's Kindergarten Sunday School teacher for her high school
graduation and used a thin layer of Warm and Natural for the batting,
and the whole quilt fit into a shoebox. Boy, was she surprised when she
opened it and found what was inside! (It was tons of fun.)
Old April 13th 05, 01:12 AM
BEI Design

BEI Design wrote:

Rather than a full machine-wash-and-dry, I would be inclined
to soak in very hot water, then air dry.

Will soaking in hot water and air drying take care of shrinkage
as well? If it will, that will be fine with me. I have a very
nice clothesline I could drape them over.

Test a couple? Takes *one* you don't like, cut in half, measure
carefully, give one piece a *very* *hot* *water* soak and air dry.
Zig-zag the edges of the other half and put it through a regular
washer-dryer cycle, and compare the end results. Et, voila! ;-)

*chuckle* I think I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for,
either. It's for the primary quilt top fabric that the other
fabrics are either patched into or paper-pieced onto -- I'm
sure this is probably not the correct way to say it, but I hope
that explains it.

For something with as much effort in it as a quilt, I'd be inclined to
splurge a little on the materials. But that's just me, the mother who
purchased $99/yd lace for DD's wedding gown...

http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/bcr-002.html
Fabric Content: 100% cotton Width: 45'' $2.75/yd.

Hey, I didn't know they send swatches. This is a great price
if it's a decent fabric.

It is indeed. I don't know anything about them or that fabric, but it
might be worth getting several swatches at $.50 each and paying the
$1.50 S&H to be sure you liked the quality.

Check TSWLTH flat-folds, *and* use a coupon?

I haven't been terribly impressed with the quality of their
fabric, and my eyes glaze over when I go in a store.

My local store isn't too bad, but the fabric selection is poor. I
usually go there for interfacing and notions on the 40% off coupon.

But the 60-inch Kona cotton would probably work -- good quality,
reasonable price for a Kaufman fabric. And I've bookmarked
that web site for further perusing.

Fabric Depot is local to me. Love 'em! ;-)

Thanks bunches!

You're welcome, good luck with the quilt.

Old April 14th 05, 10:21 PM
Pat in Virginia

Melinda:
I buy FQ all the time ... I just put into the wash
as is. There is some raveling and snarling, but
easy enough to trim before I put the cloth into
the dryer. Some people like to serge the edges, so
I guess a zig zag stitch would be fine. Some like
to cut edges with pinking shears. I do like to
wash the fabric with a color run sheet ... woolite
or the other one. (NAYY.) I do like your fabric
and the library quilt design!
PAT in VA/USA