A very ambitous project for a very worthy person

Old April 8th 05, 01:12 AM

Default A very ambitous project for a very worthy person

I have been working on figuring out what kind of quilt to send my
daughter at college, and I'm just about ready to start working on it.

Here's a pic of the quilt pattern:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html

(My daughter is a bookworm extraordinaire if this didn't make you
suspect that already)

And here's the fabric I just bought on Ebay to make the books with:

It's going to be wonderful! Now if only I can manage to get it made
before Christmas! If not, I have a few more years to get it done.

I wanted to make her the pattern called, "Comforts of Home," but it's a
scrap quilt and I don't have enough nice material to make it with
(notice how I am *not* posting this on RCTQ -- I make quilts but am not
a quilter, and I fully appreciate the difference) and I gave up the idea
until I came across the pattern for the 3rd or 4th time. If I am
systematic about it, I should get it done.
Old April 8th 05, 01:42 AM
chris

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Melinda,
I've loved this pattern from the first time I saw it! I hope it goes well
for you, I'm sure your daughter will love it.

chris (also a non-quilter maker of quilts)

:-)

Old April 8th 05, 02:27 AM

chris wrote:

I've loved this pattern from the first time I saw it! I hope it goes well
for you, I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Ironically enough, the lady who created this pattern lives in the same
county I do. I actually saw the pattern a long time ago when I went
into a quilting store to see what it looked like, but it just looked too
ambitious for me even though it was perfect for her. Well, after
investigating a number of alternatives that were not going to work out,
I'm going to take my advice and do the best thing instead of the most
expedient or cheapest or whatever.
Old April 8th 05, 02:36 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Wow!
I think that is a beautiful project for your daughter - and I'm sure that
she will treasure both the quilt and the dedication of her mother!
Last 'quilt' I did was for my brother-in-law and I did it more for closure
than any other reason. It is part of the Canadian Names Project now and can
be seen with its section mates on-line he
http://www.quilt.ca/section_57.html
I would much rather do a quilt like yours, Melinda! (One day, when I have
more time......)
Cynthia

Old April 8th 05, 03:15 AM
Donna

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote in
:

I have been working on figuring out what kind of quilt to send my
daughter at college, and I'm just about ready to start working on it.

Here's a pic of the quilt pattern:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html

Melinda, I love it!

P.S. Waving at you. Haven't seen you around SciMed in eons!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donna

Old April 8th 05, 05:24 AM

IMS wrote:
What a great quilt! Your daughter will love it. The little cat on the
book is a great touch, too.

Oh, the little cat is something that has to be added. And she loves
cats, so I will definitely have to add one.
Old April 8th 05, 05:36 AM
Angrie.Woman

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I have been working on figuring out what kind of quilt to send my daughter
at college, and I'm just about ready to start working on it.

Here's a pic of the quilt pattern:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html

Oh my gosh - I'm not a big fan of quilts. However, I absolutely LOVE that
quilt. Now for the first time in my life I want to make a quilt.

(notice how I am *not* posting this on RCTQ -- I make quilts but am not a
quilter, and I fully appreciate the difference)

Uh - what's the difference? You don't design your own, maybe?

Old April 8th 05, 06:06 AM
Diana Curtis

I'm curious, too. Lots of quilters dont use their own patterns, so that
isnt likely the answer. I vote that anyone who makes a quilt, no matter
what methods they use to achieve that end is a quilter. Tho,
technically, anyone who actually quilts, that is, sews the layers of
top, batting and back together, is a quilter, and the person who makes
the top is known as a piecer, etc (depending on whether its a pieced top
or some other form of top making)
Just trying to confuse the issue. :-)
Diana

Old April 8th 05, 07:10 AM

Angrie.Woman wrote:

(notice how I am *not* posting this on RCTQ -- I make quilts but am not a
quilter, and I fully appreciate the difference)

Uh - what's the difference? You don't design your own, maybe?

I think the politically correct answer woudl be to go put your
flameproof suit on and ask at rec.crafts.textiles.quilting LOL. But "a
quilter" (according to the RCTQ folk, or maybe it was the quilting
mailing list folk) is someone whose life revolves around quilting --
you know the expression of a hammer that thinks everything is a nail?
Well, to a quilter, they look at everything and evaluate it by how it
could be used to make a quilt -- whether it's something that could be
used physically to make the quilt or something that would be a great
idea for a quilt, like a bookshelf. Now personally I think the book
shelf quilt is just too, too, but I never would have thought of it
myself. A quilter probably did. Anyway, I have a life and my main
passions in life fall outside of quilting, although I have made 8 or 9
quilts or so in my life so far (and have no time to make this one but I
have to -- the quilt I made her when she was a preschooler is too "real"
-- Velveteen Rabbit style -- to be able to use any more.
Old April 8th 05, 07:15 AM

Diana Curtis wrote:
I'm curious, too. Lots of quilters dont use their own patterns, so that
isnt likely the answer. I vote that anyone who makes a quilt, no matter
what methods they use to achieve that end is a quilter.

You are welcome to say that and I won't argue with you even though I may
disagree, but this was sort of an inside thing. A quilter the way I
used the term is someone who has a fervent passion for quilting.

IOW, someone can make one bird house but that doesn't make them a
carpenter, and carpenters come in all skill levels.

I see the same thing in home schooling. There are those people who
happen to be teaching their children at home, and there are those people
who eat, drink, sleep, walk, and live home schooling 24/7. I sort of
fall into the middle and can see both sides.