Looking for Help

Old January 19th 04, 02:25 AM
Roy Neudecker

Default Looking for Help

A bench for working glass may be a highly personal thing. But, is there such
a thing as a standard for size, shape or arrangement of equipment, etc.?

My wife has been doing stained glass off and on for a number of years. I
being a woodworker have been more then happy to make benches for her to work
on except we have not come up with a design that has worked all the way for
her. The last one was an "L" shaped design that had an inset for her bandsaw
and work area for her grinder. A problem with that design was she had
trouble working with large windows because she had trouble reaching the
center of the work. How do the experts handle their large pieces?

Help please. We again have the chance to design a dream workshop for her and
we want to do it right. Could someone help?

Roy Neudecker

Old January 19th 04, 03:07 PM
Michele Blank

i have a large table that i can access from all 4 sides. That way working
large is not a problem.
Equipment does not go on the table but on benches running along the walls.

Old January 20th 04, 12:54 AM
Roy Neudecker

Michele,

What about grinding don't you have to spend time grinding a little bit at a
time to fit a into your work making it necessary to go back and forth
between your machines and work table?

Do you do your cutting on your work table and have the work on the same
table or are you using a seperate bench for work piece and one for cutting
and one for machines?

Thank you for any information to help us work through this.

Roy

Old January 20th 04, 05:05 PM
Michele Blank

i have my side benches set up so all i need to do is turn around, hit the
foot switch and grind the piece. I work only on the full size table after i
cut all the pieces. I set them on a side table as i cut the full sheets. You
can only cut down so much time going from one station to the next, so plan
to have the work stations you use most closest to the table where you'll be
working. m

Old January 20th 04, 05:40 PM
Moonraker

At one time I had a grinder mounted on one of those "monitor movers", the
swing arm deal that fastens to a desk and allows you to position the monitor
wherever you needed it. I had mine screwed to one end of a walk-around work
table that was about 36"X80, made out of an old solid core door. At that
time I was frequently working on several projects at once, so I swung the
grinder to whichever side of the table I was standing at the time.

I also had a workbench once where the grinder was on a pull-out shelf from
under the work surface. I had the work surface at about 39" and that made
the grinder top at about 34 or 35". I arranged the shelf so that the
grinder would just clear the underneath side of the table support.

Now, I have a free-standing 4'x8' main work table with counters and cabinets
on the wall along one side and around one end. I currently have the grinder
on the counter, so I only have to turn around and take one step from the
middle of the table to be at the grinder. I have another table, the old
36X80" one, that I carpeted, which I use for cutting. I also mounted my
lead vice and stretcher at each end of that table, along one edge. My came
bender is screwed to the edge at the middle of the long length of the big
table. I keep the bandsaw under the big table on a shelf, and drag it out
as needed.

news