Question on Metallics

Old October 24th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

Default Question on Metallics

I know some one here has an answer to this.
I'm working on a cross stitch design that requires two strands of floss and
one strand of gold metallic thread. The metallic thread is a real bear to
work with. Half of the time it falls out of the needle or tangles on the
front or back. I've tried numerous things but no joy.
My questions are as follows;
(1) Do you twist the metallic thread around the floss in order to keep it
manageable?
Note - If this is done, I find that a lot of the metallic thread is either
hidden by the floss of the first half of the cross stitch or shows up on the
backside more than the front. Not much point in using metallic thread if it
can't been seen!
I have tried several ways to do each stitch,
(1) Stitch complete cross stitch with floss and metallic thread together but
a lot of the metallic thread gets hidden.
(2) Half cross stitch all required stitches then floss, then half cross
stitch all required stitches with the metallic thread, then complete all the
stitches required with other half of the cross stitch with floss, then do
the same with the metallic thread. Works but time consuming and a lot of the
metallic thread still gets hidden.
(3) Complete all required cross stitches with floss, then do a half cross
stitch over top with the metallic thread. This appears to work the best as
most of the metallic thread is on top of the floss of the last part of the
cross stitch, in the same direction and shows up better.

Method (2) and (3) work, (3) better than (2) but keeping threaded needles
separated is a bit of a pain. This still does not solve my problem of the
metallic threaded needle becoming undone!! Some times I have to re-thread
the needle every five or six stitches - grrrrrrrrr!

Sooooooooo what to y'all do to get the results you want without going stark
raving mad???

BEWARE!! They that add metallics to designs are sadistic in nature!!!

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old October 24th 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley[_2_]

"Fred" wrote:

I know some one here has an answer to this.
I'm working on a cross stitch design that requires two strands of floss and
one strand of gold metallic thread. The metallic thread is a real bear to
work with. Half of the time it falls out of the needle or tangles on the
front or back. I've tried numerous things but no joy.

Sooooooooo what to y'all do to get the results you want without going stark
raving mad???

Always knot the filament/metallic onto the needle
(http://www.kreinik.com/articles/news.php?newsid=8). Use short
lengths so it won't tangle so viciously. It will twist with the
floss, and usually that's the desired effect.

Sometimes I want the effect of the metallic peeking out every so
often. In that case, I knot the filament onto the needle, thread the
floss in, and stitch as usual.

Sometimes I want the metallic on top, in which case I stitch the
entire section (full cross) with floss and then overstitch the top
cross with the metallic.

Sometimes I want something a little more subtle, and go to a two
needle approach -- half cross with floss, then metallic, then top
cross with just floss.

And sometimes I punt and use cord or braid instead of the
floss/filament combination.

--
Jenn Ridley :
Old October 24th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote:

[...]

Thank You very much for the reply. I'm now doing the full cross stitch and
then overstitch the top cross with the metallic thread. Keeping the metallic
thread smack dab on top of the floss is still a pain - I even railroad the
two floss threads to try to help the metallic thread from falling off the
top of the floss.

I have been using short lengths of metallic thread as you say it causes less
tangles.

As for knoting the metallic at the needle I found that it restricted pulling
the metallic thread through the holes. I used a small knot. My problem might
be that I'm using a #26 needle. I will try a slightly larger needle later
today.

Once again thanks - it was good to know that some one else has tried
something different.

Old October 25th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Fred,

A true metallic or blending filament. If it's a true metallic, I change to
one I like working with more.

Cheryl

Old October 25th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Fred,

A true metallic or blending filament. If it's a true metallic, I change to
one I like working with more.

Cheryl

True metallic, false metallic, how should I know??? LOL

It appears to be some sort of gold metallic material wrapped around a tiny
white thread.

I have run the metallic through my fingers and across my lips to see if was
smooth in one direction and rough in the other before threading the needle
but I can't tell if there is any difference. I have used metallics before
but not with this much greif keeping the needle threaded.

As you can see I am not a metallic guru.

Old October 25th 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
blkndvudu[_2_]

I've been having to use a lot of the metallic thread and I use thread
haven to keep it under control. So far so good.
Old October 25th 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"blkndvudu" wrote in message
I've been having to use a lot of the metallic thread and I use thread
haven to keep it under control. So far so good.

I've used Thread Heaven and Bees Wax every few stitches while the floss is
in the needle and still attached to the fabric. I've also found that you
can get a little help by keeping a small wet sponge nearby and running it
across the floss fairly often.

Of course for those of us who aren't particularly squeamish, you could get
the same thing done by just running it across your wet tongue. That's
always available and, therefore, easier to find.

Lucille

Old October 25th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Oct 24, 9:34*pm, "Fred" wrote:

It appears to be some sort of gold metallic material wrapped around a tiny
white thread.

When I'm stitching with the metallic alone (over the top of the
floss), I usually strip this white thread out first, then I don't have
to deal with it. The metallic will stretch a bit (which is what the
carrier thread is supposed to prevent), so you just need to be wary of
how tightly you're pulling on it.

Good luck!

Joan
Old October 25th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Joan E." wrote in message
On Oct 24, 9:34 pm, "Fred" wrote:

It appears to be some sort of gold metallic material wrapped around a
tiny
white thread.

When I'm stitching with the metallic alone (over the top of the
floss), I usually strip this white thread out first, then I don't have
to deal with it. The metallic will stretch a bit (which is what the
carrier thread is supposed to prevent), so you just need to be wary of
how tightly you're pulling on it.

Good luck!

Joan

What a good idea. I always wind up with the white thread annoying the hell
out of me and strip it out in midstream. From now on it's going first and
foremost. It certainly is worth the time and effort to make it easier to
remove, instead of battling with it when you're in midstitch.

It's the simple things in life that get you.

Old October 26th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Joan E." wrote in message
On Oct 24, 9:34 pm, "Fred" wrote:

It appears to be some sort of gold metallic material wrapped around a tiny
white thread.

When I'm stitching with the metallic alone (over the top of the
floss), I usually strip this white thread out first, then I don't have
to deal with it. The metallic will stretch a bit (which is what the
carrier thread is supposed to prevent), so you just need to be wary of
how tightly you're pulling on it.

Good luck!

Joan

Thank You!! I didn't know you could do that.
The knowledge base of this group is fantastic.

metallics Donna D. Needlework 4 July 14th 10 06:57 PM
Kreinik Metallics Sharon Needlework 22 March 26th 06 03:30 AM
Washing a piece with metallics Cheryl Isaak Needlework 25 September 20th 05 05:32 AM
which metallics do you prefer and why? KCat Needlework 16 August 7th 05 11:26 AM
Acrylic Paint - Metallics & Pigment Powders questions Rob Pierce General Crafting 2 April 12th 04 11:07 PM