My name has been stolen!

Old September 16th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sunny

Default My name has been stolen!

Hello,
I was cruising through when I saw my name (I'm a member of the quilting
NG) on a post that turned up on my regular news group but that I never,
ever wrote. The link it to something vile. This troll has been plaguing
our group and has been stealing screen names for posting hideous stuff.
Please don't open the entry a bit down the list that purports to be
from me and offers a link to a "quilt". It's not a quilt. You don't
want to know what it is. It's not from me.

Sorry for the lousy introduction from me,
Sunny
(the real one)

Old September 16th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Sunny wrote:
Hello,
I was cruising through when I saw my name (I'm a member
of the quilting NG) on a post that turned up on my
regular news group but that I never, ever wrote. The link
it to something vile. This troll has been plaguing our
group and has been stealing screen names for posting
hideous stuff. Please don't open the entry a bit down the
list that purports to be from me and offers a link to a
"quilt". It's not a quilt. You don't want to know what it
is. It's not from me.

Sorry for the lousy introduction from me,
Sunny
(the real one)

Sunny, don't worry about it. It's called "spoofing" or "forging"
and unfortunately no one can really prevent it. I saw, and
immediately deleted, the post you are referencing. Some people
just have very sick minds.

Beverly

Old September 16th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

BEI Design wrote:
Sunny wrote:

[...]

Hi there, Sunny. That was not a "people." That was some adolescent,
pimply-faced boy engaging in self-stimulation. School is back in
session now, so we're less likely to see him until holidays. ;-)

On the topic of forging, someone is using my email address again. For
spam, not posting. He's even sending it to me - like I wouldn't notice!

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old September 16th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
Sunny wrote:

[...]

Sigh Some evil miscreant did that with one of my identities
(sent a spam run with my nym in the "From:" line), and managed to
get a complaint sent to my stoopid ISP, who shut down my account
for "spamming". Took me several days to get it all straightened
out. I had to point out to "support" that the headers in the
complaint most certainly did not contain "my" IP address. They
grudgingly put me back online, but never would show me the
"evidence". Stoopid Comcast.

Beverly

Old September 16th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

BEI Design wrote:
Pogonip wrote:

Hi there, Sunny. That was not a "people." That was some
adolescent, pimply-faced boy engaging in
self-stimulation. School is back in session now, so
we're less likely to see him until holidays. ;-)
On the topic of forging, someone is using my email
address again. For spam, not posting. He's even sending
it to me - like I wouldn't notice!

Sigh Some evil miscreant did that with one of my identities
(sent a spam run with my nym in the "From:" line), and managed to
get a complaint sent to my stoopid ISP, who shut down my account
for "spamming". Took me several days to get it all straightened
out. I had to point out to "support" that the headers in the
complaint most certainly did not contain "my" IP address. They
grudgingly put me back online, but never would show me the
"evidence". Stoopid Comcast.

Beverly

This happened a while back to me, now again. I recall Kate had the
problem when I did before, but I haven't seen her domain in spam lately.
My ISP is a really old one, a local one, and so far, pretty savvy.
*knock wood* That's why I stick with them even though I could get
similar service cheaper. I'd lose their tech department, and their
knowledge base.

Old September 16th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
Pogonip wrote:

[...]

Lucky you! My original ISP was a small local one (Teleport.com),
which was swallowed by Mindspring/Earthlink/Whatever and I did
not like their service, so finally bailed on dialup and went to
cable. First cable company was @Home, later swallowed by
ATT.com, which was swallowed by Comcast. I've too many e-mail
addresses in the last several years!

It is just totally inexcusable when an ISP abuse desk accepts a
spam complaint (which should include full headers of the spam)
and uses the "From:" address as a basis for shutting off their
customer's service. They know very well that the "From:" can be,
and often *is*, forged. The IP address of the sender is the ONLY
legitimate way to determine who actually sent the spam. LAZY,
incompetent, mumble, mumble, grumble....

Beverly

Old September 16th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

Oh yes.
I at one time before I got my pop3 mail account had the web mail forwarded
to me. My ISP at the time blocked all my emails as spam because the
"Blacklist" had my domain on it. I get hundreds of spam and viruses everyday
from myself.

--
Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
PO Box 60, Sand Lake, NY 12153
"BEI Design" wrote in message
. ..

Pogonip wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
Pogonip wrote:

[...]

"From:" address as a basis for shutting off their customer's service.

Old September 16th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

BEI Design wrote:

Lucky you! My original ISP was a small local one (Teleport.com),
which was swallowed by Mindspring/Earthlink/Whatever and I did
not like their service, so finally bailed on dialup and went to
cable. First cable company was @Home, later swallowed by
ATT.com, which was swallowed by Comcast. I've too many e-mail
addresses in the last several years!

It is just totally inexcusable when an ISP abuse desk accepts a
spam complaint (which should include full headers of the spam)
and uses the "From:" address as a basis for shutting off their
customer's service. They know very well that the "From:" can be,
and often *is*, forged. The IP address of the sender is the ONLY
legitimate way to determine who actually sent the spam. LAZY,
incompetent, mumble, mumble, grumble....

Beverly

That's what comes of hiring tech support at minimum wage, minimum
background, training and experience. Maybe it would work if they would
actually train them before turning them loose, but who will train the
trainers?