Pen help needed.........

Old June 28th 05, 08:19 PM
Mary in Washington

Default Pen help needed.........

I am calling on the expertise out there to help me with a problem. I
made a quilt for my niece that I am taking to the wedding festivities
and will have it signed by everyone, then bring it home and quilt it
for her.

Question: Do I need to buy a bunch of Micron Archival ink pens or would
fine point sharpies in black to the job? What are the experiences out
there?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Old June 28th 05, 08:21 PM
Betty in Wi

I think the Sharpies would bleed.

Betty in WI

oups.com...

Old June 28th 05, 08:59 PM
Taria

If I remember right when I did my dad's quilt the sharpies I bought
were fine point and said in fine print on the package of 2 not to use on
fabric. I am thinking the Pigma ones I used.
Taria

Old June 28th 05, 09:19 PM
Susan Laity Price

Yes, you need to use the permanent pigment pens. The Micron are the
best that I have tried. Do Not use the Sharpie brand. Even though they
say they are permanent they will bleed on cloth.

Susan

Old June 28th 05, 09:54 PM
pajaritaflora

Mary in Washington wrote:
I am calling on the expertise out there to help me with a problem. I
made a quilt for my niece that I am taking to the wedding festivities
and will have it signed by everyone, then bring it home and quilt it
for her.

Question: Do I need to buy a bunch of Micron Archival ink pens or would
fine point sharpies in black to the job? What are the experiences out
there?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Mary,
I recently got ZIG Writers. They have a ballpoint end and a brush end.
I love the ease of writing on fabric with them. Previously I used
micron or fabric markers. The micron pens don't hold up with alot of
fabric writing. And the markers didn't flow nearly as easily with
script and fine lines. I think any guest who signs the quilt will have
an easy go of it with the Writer (ZIG)

Hope that helps,
Mary Ann

Old June 28th 05, 10:22 PM
Liz A.

Mary, are you also going to iron freezer paper to the back to make it
easier to sign the fabric?

Liz A..
Kent, WA

Old June 29th 05, 12:46 AM
~Ann~

Mary wrote...Question: Do I need to buy a bunch of Micron Archival ink
pens or would
fine point sharpies in black to the job? What are the experiences out
there?
Thanks in advance.
Mary
-------------
I am sure not an expert but I did have some experience with the sharpie
pens when I took a fabric dying class.. it was required that we
"number" our individual fabric pieces prior to class (fabric
washed/dried before doing so)...im sorry to say that I dont remember if
we were to heat set the numbers with a hot iron or not...but I can sure
remember that after soaking in the solution for 20 min or so, that the
ink from the sharpie permaent pen had bled and I made a mental note of
that....so perhaps a litte testing of your own might help before ruining
anything.

Ann

Old June 29th 05, 02:07 AM
Betsy Ross

I have a miserable time writing on
fabric with my Micron pens. In another
thread, others suggested sandpaper to
hold the fabric. I have yet to try it.

If the quilt is already completed, it
will be very difficult to write on
especially with the fine tip Microns.
Perhaps a broaded tip would work. I
would try writing on a sample of the
same construction.

Old June 29th 05, 02:36 AM
Susan Laity Price

I have heard good things about the ZIG pens also but haven't tried
them myself.

Susan