Finally getting better

Old July 6th 03, 03:58 AM
Mischief

Default Finally getting better

I figured it was time to update everyone with regards to my thumb
surgery. It's been two and a half weeks since surgery and am very
happy to say that the pain that I was living with since November is now
gone. The stitches were removed on Wednesday and I am very happy to
say that the scare is going to be minimal. The scare may be about
1-1/2 inches in length but I think after a little time things will fade
in time.

I am now able to knit, crochet, cross-stitch and petite point again and
soon hope to be trying out my spinning wheel. I still don't have
entire movement but given therapy and determination I will be back to
my old self hopefully by the fall.

Again thanks for the support that everyone has given me through all the
this and as I have said before I am very glad to call everyone here a
friend.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Old July 6th 03, 05:57 AM
Molvik Family

A scar is nothing to have use of your thumb again! Just remember, it is a
badge of all you've gone through and are grateful for. Glad to hear all is
healing well!

JJMolvik

Old July 8th 03, 06:33 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

DARLENE PLEASE HEAL QUICKLY
Come on HEal girl !!!!
mirjam

Old July 10th 03, 02:49 PM
NoraBalcer

Kathy,

Welcome to the greatest group there is, IMHO.

Nora
Old July 10th 03, 08:11 PM
Sue Carlson Dunn

Hello Kathy, and a warm welcome from the north of England!
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Old July 16th 03, 12:27 PM
Mischief

Sorry for the delay in spending this reply. Now that I can do my
crafts again I have avoided the computer for a few days.

The surgery that I had was called release surgery. I had tendon in my
thumb and he opened up the tunnel for the thumb muscle. I am happy
that I had the surgery because the pain has gone way down and I can
finally do things again.

Welcome to the group.

Old July 17th 03, 09:20 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Mischief WELCOME BACK , may your healing process be quick lovely and
may you be for ever healthy and well !!!]
mirjam

Old July 18th 03, 03:15 AM
Nick & Dolores Della Fave

I'm happy to read that you are doing better after the surgery. I think I
may have the same problem you had. Please tell me what you felt in your
thumb before the surgery. My pain starts in the wrist and goes down to the
thumb. Were these some of your symptoms? How was the surgery? How long
was the recuperation? Please give me as much information as you can give me
so that I know what to look forward to?

Thank you,

Dolores Della Fave

Old July 18th 03, 03:16 AM
Mischief

OK let's see if I can help.

The pain that I was experiencing was in my thumb and also wrist. I was
unable to lift anything of any weight at all just before the surgery.
I had been told it was carpal tunnel but thank goodness to the
wonderful plastic surgeon who figured out it was severe tendonitis.

The surgery was done as an outpatient procedure. I was in the hospital
itself for under two hours as it's done with only a local freezing.
The pain that I experienced after wasn't too bad and an extra strength
motrin was able to help reduce that pain.

I am still recovering from the procedure as it was only done June 18th
but am happy to say that I am crochet and cross-stitch without pain
which I haven't been able to do since November of last year.

A cortisone shot was first tried in March to see if that would help
solve the problem. It did help the pain for about two weeks then I was
back to severe pain 24 hours a day. I did continue to work but it was
difficult.

I am now going for therapy each week to try and get the movement and
strength back in my wrist/thumb considering I haven't been using it
very much since November.

I hope that I have been able to help you and please let me know if you
need any additional information and e-mail off line using my website
e-mail address if you just want to talk. I know having people to talk
to during all I went through really helped and am willing to help you.