sorting through Quilting books and magazines

Old November 10th 03, 02:06 AM
juliasb(nospam)

This is one idea I have been pondering. Making a .pdf file of the cover
and the table of content of each magazine. It would be, for me, much
easier to scan the pages and know that I have all the relevant information.
juliasb

hfw wrote:

Same here. But I'd love to figure out a system for keeping track of what's
in what. Especially with Quilters Newsletter Magazine where the covers are
often so similar. I think someone's mentioned copying the Contents pages.
That might be a start.

--Heidi

"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message

Regarding that idea of cutting out what interests you and tossing the
rest of the magazine.... I did that many years back. Then, when I went
thru what I had saved, I was left sitting there pondering *why* had I
saved these photos and directions??? By that time, they weren't colors
that appealed to me and the quilts were styles that didn't appeal to me,
either. Then I started worrying what I might have thrown away! bg I
now save the entire magazine, storage problems or not, because I realize
how my tastes and abilities change, sometimes drastically, as do the
quilts I will need to make- for gifts, babies, donations, etc.

Just a thought.... ;-)

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

--

Conductor of the Squish-mobile

....come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

http://globnet.com/~flair/

Old November 10th 03, 03:26 AM
SandySmth

I keep a computerized list of the quilting books I own and I try to update it
every now and then. Magazines are a problem. They multiply quickly! I keep my
QNM issues in notebooks and download the indexes from their web site. Other
magazines I want to keep are in magazine holders. Periodically I go through
them and cut out articles I want to save. I file the parts I keep and toss the
rest in the magazine recycling box. I don't generally keep patterns, but I save
pictures of quilts for various reasons such as color, pattern, sashing, border,
or quilting ideas. It's amazing the number of log cabin quilts that have been
pictured over the years!

Sandy
in Chapel Hill, NC

juliasb(nospam) wrote:
How do you store your books and magazines. Now I can't imagine
throwing away a magazine so I don't even think that would be a question
unless you somehow ended up with a second copy of a given magazine. Now
I have done that but then given the magazine or book to another quilter.
Does anyone keep a list of what they have on hand or do you know by
recollection?
And last but not least how many quilts do you really complete or even
start from the various books or magazines that you have.
juliasb

Old November 10th 03, 05:36 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I subscribe to just two magazines. I go through them and select what
interests me and add them to an index I keep on a database program. Now, I
wonder if I'll end up where Leslie did--wondering why I chose what I chose
and should I maybe go through them again. Hmmmm.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old November 10th 03, 06:29 AM

I have to jump in on this one. Just this summer I have been sorting and
going thru and taking to a rumage sale and giving away books and
magazines and material. I was getting overflo on everything and I was
finding that I coudn't even concentrate on what I was doing to begin
with which was quilting. I need to do all this again. When I worked I
piled in the magazines and books and fabric for when I retired. Now I am
retired and I had the books and magazines in the attic and under the
bed. In drawers and in the basement. I do not have storage to begin
with. A few of the books like Quilting for Dummies I refer to but for
the ones that are out of the house I do not miss. I don't often get in a
mood for sorting and I need to do it again. I have never made anything
out of the books or magazines but did enjoy looking and reading them. I
got like this with cookbooks also. Wish I had all the money I spent on
quilting magazines and books. I think Clean Sweep from TV is sinking in
my brain somewhat..Michele

Old November 10th 03, 06:42 AM
Neeej

I realize
how my tastes and abilities change, sometimes drastically, as do the
quilts I will need to make- for gifts, babies, donations, etc.

I did consider that, but my ideas for projects multiply much faster than any
actual doing gets did, so I'm not gonna worry about the throw-outs. Prolly will
weed the files every century or so, to get rid of the what-was-I-thinkings and
I've-grown-past-its
-- Jean S
Old November 10th 03, 01:02 PM
Elena

Thanks for saying this. I too, love Clean Sweep. I doubt if you came
back 6 months later though that those people really changed their behavior.
But it's nice to be given a fresh start sometimes. Not to mention have an
organized place for those things that are important to you. I go thru and
rip magazines, just keeping the pictures or patterns that inspire me. I'm
more diligent now about tossing them into the sheet protectors in 3-ring
binders now. Every so often, it's so nice to sit back and relax with one of
them in my lap. If I come back a month or five years later and see
something that doesn't "do" it for me, out it goes as well. What I'm left
with are quilts very similar. For instance, I seem to have a lot of log
cabins sitting in there. Hmmmm is that a hint from on high? Grins.

Elena in Tx
all the usual disclaimers, YMMV, IMHO, FWIW, NBC, AAA, PDQ, ASAP...

Old November 10th 03, 08:34 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Dear Madam,
The Museum of Things That May Possibly Be Necessary One Day
is looking for a new curator-- you interested? VBG

Ragmop/Sandy--no further comment; some of the things I keep:
*sheesh* what AM I thinking?!!??!

"Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)"
wrote in message ...
But, but, but - how do you not know that sometime down the road you'll
become interested in something else that was in that magazine and now it's
tossed. I just can't rip up magazines. Lots of times something I'm not
interested in at the time I get it will grab my interest later on.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

"Sherry Starr" wrote in message
I don't keep many entire magazines. I take out the pattern or article

that
I want to keep, put it in a plastic sheet protector, and put it in a 3

ring
binder. The binders I use are covered in a clear plastic with an

opening
at
the top to insert something on the front of the binder. I keep a list

on
the cover with everything that is in that binder. I have a separate

binder
for patterns that I purchase. I do them the same way. I keep the lists

on
my computer, and just update it whenever I add to it. It has really

saved
me a lot of time.
Sherry Starr

Old November 10th 03, 10:13 PM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

Thanks, Raggedy, but no thanks! Can't keep track of my own stuff, sure
wouldn't want to be the curator of lots of people's stuff!

Old November 11th 03, 02:56 PM
NBHilyard

I have complete runs of QNM and BH&G's AP&Q. I often take a few copies
out, at random, and each time I find projects and ideas that I'd
forgotten about. I keep magazines in magazine file boxes. (12 were
were bought at a library moving sale and 24 others bought years ago
from a library supply company....IMO cereal boxes are too flimsy and I
buy liquid, not powdered, laundry detergent [can't tolerate the
scent].)

I have miscellaneous copies of other magazines (I look for them at
used book sales). If an issue has no lasting appeal I offer it for
sale through Quilting Traders Newsletter or QuiltMarket. If there is
a project that looks possible I tear it out and if I feel so inclined
I three-hole punch it and put it in a notebook.

Sunday afternoon I went through an accumulation of Internet printouts
and torn-out articles -- some of the former dating to 1995 and some of
the latter to the 1970's. I pitched a lot. Felt virtuous!

Nann