Question about Doodle Cloths

Old August 5th 03, 06:51 PM
NancySue

Default Question about Doodle Cloths

Susie Jordan wrote:

How do any of you utilize doodle cloths. Do you make a list
somewhere about the stitches you used, or what?

I used to stitch doodles on leftover fabric pieces and took no notes. Of
course I'd remember what I did!

Now, I use large pieces of fabric & baste lines to mark off areas about 8" x
10." I pin a 4" x 6" index card to the fabric and record what I did - stitch,
thread & color number. When the fabric is filled, I can cut it apart & place
the pieces in page protectors with the index card.

HTH

Nancy Sue,
Professional Project Starter
Old August 5th 03, 07:35 PM
Joan Erickson

Susie Jordan wrote:

How do any of you utilize doodle cloths. Do you make a list
somewhere about the stitches you used, or what?

In Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Stitches (I think that's the
title--not positive), there are spaces where you can either draw in or
attach an actual sample. I haven't done it, yet, but I am going to
attach a sample of a stitch I modified to look like a wheat head (you
can kind of see what it looks like in the link in my .sig. Since I came
up with this stitch myself, I *know* it isn't in any other book and I
also *know* the next time I want to use it, I won't be able to remember
exactly how! Especially since it's done in 2 layers, one on top of the
other. Therefore there will be drawings and an actual sample of each layer.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.HeritageShoppe.com/heritage/temp/joan1.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old August 6th 03, 02:29 AM
Linn Skinner

Gee, I wonder what class that wasG

Linn Skinner
"Meredith" wrote in message
I did one in a class a few years ago and we actually wrote on the fabric
what stitch is what.

Meredith

Old August 6th 03, 07:39 PM
SEL

How do any of you utilize doodle cloths. Do you make a list
somewhere about the stitches you used, or what?

Wow, never thought about listing the stitches used. I've just always used a
piece of fabric that I baste the edges - or the latest one I've hem stitched
around the edge. I do my stitches in complimentary colours to one another -
the latest one is all blue and white. And in the end the piece is a mini
sampler - albeit a disorganized one - that I've used as a doily or a dresser
scarf or put under pictures, etc. on a bookshelf. My latest one has turned
into something of a band sampler actually. I quite like it.

I honestly never thought about making notes of the stitches I used.
Interesting idea

Shannon L.

Old August 7th 03, 05:43 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I have a Quilter/artist friend who likes my
doodle cloths as another interesting cloth to cut out pieces that fit
into her work . so she gets mine when filled .
as to writing down names and descriptions , i have a card index , if
i learnedc from book or mag i note that , if i got it from somebody i
describe it on card .
mirjam
Old August 7th 03, 05:51 AM
Debra

On 05 Aug 2003 17:51:21 GMT, (NancySue) wrote:

Susie Jordan wrote:

How do any of you utilize doodle cloths. Do you make a list
somewhere about the stitches you used, or what?

I used to stitch doodles on leftover fabric pieces and took no notes. Of
course I'd remember what I did!

Now, I use large pieces of fabric & baste lines to mark off areas about 8" x
10." I pin a 4" x 6" index card to the fabric and record what I did - stitch,
thread & color number. When the fabric is filled, I can cut it apart & place
the pieces in page protectors with the index card.

HTH

Nancy Sue,
Professional Project Starter

Why not backstitch the info onto the cloth?

Debra in VA
Old August 8th 03, 11:33 PM
Marjorie

If I'm doodling just one motif or design I tend to make it into an ornament,
nametag, card, small picture, etc. Others, that are really basic stitch
samples, just gather dust hither and yon, except for the few that have made
it into notebooks. Which is why I make a concerted effort to make them into
something. Marjorie