Hand Embroidery Software

Old June 28th 05, 01:58 AM
Annie

Default Hand Embroidery Software

I've been searching for hand embroidery software that will allow me to
design my own patterns and/or scan pictures, etc. and then have the
software convert them to an embroidery pattern for stitching.

Most of what I've found is for machine embroidery. I haven't found
anything for hand embroidery.

Any suggestions?

Old June 28th 05, 04:04 AM
Jaenne Bonner

www.hobbyware.com

PatternMaker is a good software and the support from this company is
wonderful. Go to my website at www.jaenne.com and download one of my
patterns and the PatternMaker Viewer and see some of the benefits of the
software. Any questions, feel free to ask me. I've been with Hobbyware since
1997.

Jaenne Bonner

oups.com...

Old June 28th 05, 03:30 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Are you talking about surface embroidery patterns? I think so from your
reference to machine embroidery.

What I do is use cheap white paper to make the original sketches, then
tracing paper (vellum) to do a final draft. Then scan into my graphics
program, add written details, clean up messy areas, then print. Large
pictures, of course, won't print through a normal printer. So in those
cases I use the local office supply store that has large photocopy
capabilities (up to 11 x 17).

I know of no software that will produce designs for surface embroidery.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old June 29th 05, 02:54 AM
Phylis Maurer

Not having done this process before, will you tell me what the advantage of
working with vellum is? I was thinking of using more "cheap white paper"
and a light box to make the final draft. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Phyllis Maurer

Old June 29th 05, 05:25 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I said "vellum" and should have said parchment tracing paper.

The advantage of the final draft on tracing paper is that I ink the
final draft with a micro fine pen so that its crisp and clear. Inks
don't bleed on the parchment, so copies of clear and distinct. It's
also easier than trying to use a light box. I also store my designs by
rolling them up and tracing paper holds up under humidity, for instance,
as opposed to regular paper.

Dianne

Old June 29th 05, 10:08 PM

I also store my designs by
rolling them up and tracing paper holds up under humidity, for instance,
as opposed to regular paper.

Dianne

Tracing paper (unless its the plastic film type that draftspeople used
to use) can stretch terribly with the varying humidity though.

Yvette Stanton
Vetty Creations
Author of "Elegant Hardanger Embroidery" 2002, 2005
www.embroidery.more.at

Old June 29th 05, 10:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Mine have never budged an inch and I've been using them for over 10
years. :-) The stuff I use is very expensive. That may be a part of
it: the actual type/brand tracing paper used.

Dianne

Old June 30th 05, 01:31 AM
Annie

I checked out PatternMaker and it looks like the software is for
cross-stitch only.

Can it work as well for hand embroidery patterns?

Thanks,
Annie

Old June 30th 05, 02:36 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Pattern Maker is not just for cross stitch, but actually can be used for
any counted stitch pattern, including some surface stitches such as lazy
daisy. And you can even use it to create symbols for things like spider
web ribbon roses.

However, it is not designed for surface embroidery. It is designed for
square gridded stitching on countable grounds or canvas.

I've also used it for creating symbol charts for knitting . . . but
that's beside your question. :-)

To make patterns for surface embroidery you need pencil and paper. Or
you can use graphics software which may contain "brushes" that will make
things like five-petaled flowers (or six, or eight, or whatever). But
it's awfully hard to make patterns in this manner without a graphics
tablet. So, your back to pencil and paper.

Dianne

Old April 3rd 13, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fran

capbillie wrote:

I've been searching for hand embroidery software that will allow me to
design my own patterns and/or scan pictures, etc. and then have the
software convert them to an embroidery pattern for stitching.

Most of what I've found is for machine embroidery. I haven't found
anything for hand embroidery.

Any suggestions?

Hi Anne!

I'm looking for the same thing. I usually do cross stitch
and have the pcstitch software that I love.
but there are some projects I'd like to do using the
traditional embroidery which I enjoy also.
Have you found anything anywhere and if so, mind sharing the location info.?
Thanks so much.