I built an Ironing Center for myself!

Old October 19th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default I built an Ironing Center for myself!

Leslie The Handyman strikes again!!! (VBG)

I went to Big Lots and bought two cheap bookcases ($19.99 each) which
are 35.5 in. tall- just the perfect ironing height for me. (That's the
height of a kitchen countertop.) I assembled the frames of both
bookshelves and glued them back-to-back, then made a top of 1/2 in.
thick plywood (I'd use 3/4 in. thick plywood next time) which was cut
to 2 ft. X 4 ft. I covered the plywood in two thicknesses of Warm &
Natural batting and a silver-y Teflon material for the ironing surface
and bolted the covered plywood to the top of the bookshelves. I have
photos of the entire process at-

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...54957513bOrgds

It cost less then $55 for everything and the total time investment was
less than 2 hours- which was broken up ovr two days to allow the paint
and the glue to set up. When we finish the new house my sewing room
will be more than twice as large as the little bedroom that I'm using
right now, so I will make another top about 2.5 ft. X 6 ft. to replace
the top I just made and then set the Ironing Center away from the wall
so I can use it from all four sides. But for now.... I'm in
pressing/ironing heaven!!!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 19th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well I'm blessed, Leslie! Are you for hire? And is distance a problem?
Travel expenses included in the fee, presumably?
..

In message .com,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old October 19th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Very nice!

Way to go, Leslie!!

Ragmop/Sandy

On 10/19/06 1:03 PM, in article
, "Leslie & The

Old October 19th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
GrammyKathy

Leslie,

What a wonderful idea, you did a great job. I hope you leave it on
your webshots cause I would sure like to make one of those for myself
when we get moved. Wish I could come up with neat ideas. I am good a
makeing once I see them but I guess I just don't have any imagination.
DARN. Althought I did think of a way to make it bigger, hummm maybe I
DO have some imagination.
Kathy D in Illinois

Old October 19th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

And storage as well! Good job Leslie!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old October 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Leslie:
Fantastic! I am impressed with the
utility and the streamlined good looks
of this ironing center. Suggestion for
when you replace the top to make it
larger: Attach an electric outlet to the
outside side wall, and run the extension
carefully along the floor form that.
Then you can plug the iron into the
table, rather than have the iron cord
running over to the wall. Clear as mud? PAT

Old October 19th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Kathy-

Funny you should mention making it bigger.... I've decided to buy two
more bookshelves to attach to the two I have now- side-by-side.
That'll be MORE storage and MORE support when I go to the larger top.
And Pat in VA's suggestion of adding an electrial outlet via an
extention cord is very clever, too. I'll add that as well "The Next
Time"!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 19th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary Anna

On 19 Oct 2006 11:03:58 -0700, Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:

Leslie The Handyman strikes again!!! (VBG)

I went to Big Lots and bought two cheap bookcases ($19.99 each) which
are 35.5 in. tall- just the perfect ironing height for me. (That's the
height of a kitchen countertop.) I assembled the frames of both
bookshelves and glued them back-to-back, then made a top of 1/2 in.
thick plywood (I'd use 3/4 in. thick plywood next time) which was cut
to 2 ft. X 4 ft. I covered the plywood in two thicknesses of Warm &
Natural batting and a silver-y Teflon material for the ironing surface
and bolted the covered plywood to the top of the bookshelves.

That's really neat! I think I'll have to remember that for when I have room
for something like that, if you don't mind me copying your idea that is,
lol!

Mary Anna in NY
Old October 19th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Mary Anna-

No, I don't mind anybody using the idea- not at all! That's why I
posted it. You could also use a dresser or a kitchen cabinet or a
number of different "things" under the ironing top.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.