EXTREMELY OT! I built a doggie door!!!

Old September 21st 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default EXTREMELY OT! I built a doggie door!!!

My hubby won't be available tomorrow to tend to The HairyButt Gang's
every want and desire while I'm in Springfield looking at quilts with
Jan. I had a choice of taking them to my dog trainer and friend Susan
for doggie day care, but that's $10 per day for each dog- a bit pricey.
Or I could leave them alone in the house for 7-8 hrs. and hope for the
best. Or I could take Hoover The Rambuncious Puppy with me for company
and let him wait in my pick-up truck. That wouldn't be very nice to do
to a sweet lil fella. So.....

I bought 2 ten foot sticks of 1.25 in. PVC pipe, four 90 degree angles
and 2 Ts and built a doggie door to fit into the opening of my 6 ft.
sliding glass door into the backyard! I just insert it into the door
frame and close the door up to the edge of the doggie door's frame. I
measured Simon, the biggest of the gang and made it just above his
shoulder height and just a few inches wider than his chest. All the
dogs have used the door and approve. I have the top portion covered
with 4 thicknesses of heavy duty clear plastic drop cloth right now,
but come Saturday will buy a hunk of clear acrylic sheet to cover the
top portion. Once they are comfy with using it, I will try some type
of flexible door over the opening for winter. With four really big
dogs in the fenced backyard and our very peaceful neighborhood, I have
no fears of unwanted "guests".

Off to the quilt show in the morning with no worries about my precious
canine children!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 21st 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Leslie, the flap on our doggie door wore out and it was going to be over $30
to replace it! I went to Wally World and for $2 bought a clear car mat. One
of the small ones for the back seat. I cut it to fit and it is perfect.

Cindy

ps.com...

Old September 21st 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well if it was a QI door than you might be On Topic? And since
you are readying for a quilt show it might be anyway : )

Your door sounds great. We could really use a doggie door. Our
problem is the inside only cats. Other than getting the pricey
doggie door with the radio control that the pooch wears I can't
think of anything else that would work. Anyone have any other
ideas for letting the dog out but keeping the cats in?
Anyone have the electronic one that can give a review? Georgia
is kind of a weenie and I don't get too far away but there are times
I need to and winter is coming.

You guys have fun at the show.
TAria

Old September 22nd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

WTG Leslie, you innovative and crafty little handywoman! Sounds like a
super idea and also sounds like you did a dog-gone good job! grin

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old September 22nd 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Leslie, that is too cool! And my poor Clifford goes for many, many hours on
the days (2-3 times a week) that DH and I both work. But if he gets put in
the backyard he digs out. Doesn't go anyplace but still...
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old September 22nd 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article om,
[...]

Leslie, we have a doggie door (not custom-made though G) for our
sliding door, and we love it! I hope you'll find yours as easy and
convenient as we do ours.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 22nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

[...]

Wow, you are handy! I'd love to have a kitty-door, but I'm afraid of a
different type of unwanted guest. We have so many racoons and such.

Sherry

Old September 22nd 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Our doggy door stays locked except for just a nose hole. Yorkies shouldn't
go out alone but they certainly do like to poke their little button noses
out and do a weather check. We really should offer his services to the tv
weatherman. Yogi is extremely accurate about bad weather coming in. Doggy
doors in gator country are not a good idea. If they want to complain about
the food supply, we'd rather they do it outside. Polly

Old September 22nd 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Believe me, the cats will convince the dog to let them out.

NightMist

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:53:40 GMT, Taria
wrote:

[...]

The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old September 22nd 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"NightMist" wrote in message

Believe me, the cats will convince the dog to let them out.

NightMist

Right-O. My son installed a control collar activated door The dogs were
the only ones with the collars but it only took a few weeks for his cats to
figure out who to follow closely or scoot between doggy legs. His one cat
would even sit outside and yeeeeowl for the dog to come poke his head
through to open the flap so he could get in. If there is no supervision
you'll most likely have a problem.

Val