Vintage Singer Sewing Machines

Old January 13th 04, 11:49 PM
Regina

Default Vintage Singer Sewing Machines

Just want some feedback. I know there are people that are devoted to
the Singer Featherweight 221s and 222s. I have read quite a bit about
them on the internet. Is there anyone that has an opinion on the
other early models of portable Singer sewing machines (models 66k,
15k, etc.) that can tell me if they are worth acquiring? I have seen
a few in various conditions in my locale and was curious if they'd be
worth owning. Thanks.
Old January 14th 04, 12:50 AM
Sami

I think it will depend on what you want to do with a machine. If you
want something for piecing, many people like the Featherweights, but
they are not good for quilting because of the limited space to the
right of the needle. I have used my treadle and my handcrank 99 (with
reverse - not all have reverse) for piecing, but have yet to use
either for quilting. If you do sewing other than quilting, these
machines and their attachments can be a lot of fun to learn to use. I
have also used my FW for piecing, and my Janome 8000 as well, which is
what I use for quilting by machine.

What I like about my handcrank is I can carry it outside, sew in the
sun, and bring it back in. It takes the same attachments that the FW
does. The treadle is great for clothes, and just for the rhythm of
the sewing, and the pleasure of the time to take to do something using
it. Also, the attachments are really wonderfully designed and well
made.

Another thing nice about the older machines is they are very
straightforward and easy to maintain. Oiling is necessary, and you
can make a lot of adjustments yourself. When your computer chip
blows, or the electricity goes off, a treadle or a handcrank and an
oil lamp are quite nice - or if there is an earthquake and you are
bored . . . (did that a few years ago).

My two cents - yes, they are worth it, and there are many good ones
out there. A lot of people also like the 201, 301+, and th 401+
series by Singer, which are gear, as opposed to belt, driven. Many
OSMG say Singer quit making good machines in 1960. So...give some a
try. If you like being in the garden, get a good handcrank, and you
can enjoy yourself without a lot of set-up stress!

Sami

Old January 14th 04, 07:58 AM
Helen Howes

See my websites
http://www.raindropkites.co.uk
and
http://www.helenhowestextiles.co.uk
for what can be done on a 15 series Singer. I have a walking foot for
mine and it is a delight to quilt on, also a narrow foot which makes
it perfect for piecing. It's controllable and fast and tough and sews
everything I throw at it; and I wouldn't swap it for an electronic
machine.

See
http://www.treadleon.net

for stuff about old machines.

Don't buy a "long" bobbin machine - the bobbins hold only 20 yards of
thread....

Helen H
Old January 14th 04, 12:28 PM
Mauvice Murphy

My repairman, very knowledgeable guy, said the 99 electric model I have is
the 2/4 sized featherweight, sews like a dream, I love her she is in a
table and is always ready to sew.
--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
remove no spam to reply

om...

Old January 14th 04, 12:53 PM
Bonnie

Regina wrote:
Just want some feedback. I know there are people that are devoted to
the Singer Featherweight 221s and 222s. I have read quite a bit about
them on the internet. Is there anyone that has an opinion on the
other early models of portable Singer sewing machines (models 66k,
15k, etc.) that can tell me if they are worth acquiring? I have seen
a few in various conditions in my locale and was curious if they'd be
worth owning. Thanks.

I have a 66 treadle - not very portable, but a good machine.
And she's very pretty! Finished an Amish WH top on her
the other day and a coat for DGD's dragon ;-)

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old January 14th 04, 03:01 PM
Taria

IMO the 99 is the most unappreciated old Singer.
They are available for low prieces and are small
like a FW. If you don't need to carry to classes
they are a fun little machine. They are heavy though.
You can get cabinets to fit them too.
Taria

Old January 14th 04, 03:13 PM
Diana Curtis

I just recently got a 99, they are a beauty to sew with. Its just like the
one my mom taught me to sew on. Well.. almost exactly. Maybe someone can
help me figure this out. It didnt come with a foot pedal. Off the motor
comes a couple of *things*. Thats the technical term for ... um.. wires with
threaded cylinders at the ends. Moms wasnt like this. Ill post a picture at
my yahoo site in just a moment. I hope someone can tell me what those are
and what I will need to do to make it a working machine again.
Thanks!
Diana, off to post a pic....

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 14th 04, 08:17 PM
Sandy Foster

Mauvice Murphy wrote:

My repairman, very knowledgeable guy, said the 99 electric model I have is
the 2/4 sized featherweight, sews like a dream, I love her she is in a
table and is always ready to sew.

I have a 99K handcrank, and I *swear* I'm going to piece a quilt top on
her someday! I love her -- besides, I can use her if the electricity
goes off.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net -- put s-foster@ in front
Old January 14th 04, 10:09 PM
Regina

Taria wrote in message ...
IMO the 99 is the most unappreciated old Singer.
They are available for low prieces and are small
like a FW. If you don't need to carry to classes
they are a fun little machine. They are heavy though.
You can get cabinets to fit them too.
Taria

A local pawn shop has a fair condition 99k dating from 40's from what
I know about them (crinkle finish & serial #). It has bentwood case,
scuffed a bit. I think it has the key and some extra feet. He says
he's been told it's from the 60's. He says it runs and I'm welcome to
try it. I tried to be low key about it, in order to be in a position
to negotiate price. I've seen in the window for about a month. He
wants $195.