Hoops/ scroll frames and more

Old September 2nd 04, 02:51 AM
D.M.Evans

Default Hoops/ scroll frames and more

Now, I am sure this is has explored here before. I can't decide if I am
a hoop person( that is what I learnt with) I like the nice taut surface, but
I undestand it crushes the threads( I never left my work in it). I have
done large stuff on scroll frames, but they are harder to transport and they
always lose tension. I can't seem to master the cloth in hand method. Is
there one way that is more accepted amongst experienced stitchers?

The other thing, now that I am looking to use the hoop more, where did
all the nice bamboo hoops go? The ones available now are very thin and
rough. I did buy the plastic ones and have wrapped the base hoop in ribbon.
I have tried the metal holding ring in the plastic ring- I just can't seem
to make them stay together.

At one store, I did see some nice wood frames, but they cost about $50
and I couldn't afford it, and I have never seen them again.

Darlene
with my first burning question.

Old September 2nd 04, 02:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Embroidery on a hoop is best done on a hoop no larger around than your
fingers can comfortably reach the center. 5 or 6 inches is about
maximum diameter for holding in your hand.

There are German hoops (Klass & Gessen) and another brand (Hardwick
Manor) which are high quality hoops. The Hardwick Manor (which I
learned about here not too long ago, then saw in person) come in varying
depths. Both of these brands hold your hoop tight and come in a wide
variety of diameters. German hoops cost about $5 US and the H. Manor
hoops are a bit more pricey.

Hoops DO NOT crush your threads, although it might seem so when you move
them about. After washing and pressing, they will pop right back to the
beautiful stitches you first made. I even use them for padded
whitework. It DOES NOT affect the final outcome. Of course, I'm also
careful.

That being said, you wouldn't want to use a hoop for a piece larger than
the diameter of the hoop, such as goldwork, or a wired stumpwork piece,
or beads. That definitely wouldn't "do". But for normal embroidery,
including cross stitch and some drawn fabric (pulled work) or drawn
thread, hoops are perfectly sane devices to use. Despite all the
negative press they receive from gurus who insist only a frame of some
sort is the "proper" tool to use.

Depending upon the region of the world wherein you live, hoops are
either wrapped: the inner hoop . . . or the outer hoop. I sometimes
wrap both.

If you need something larger, you might consider a tambour hoop. If
you're really getting serious (whatever that means) you might consider a
floor frame that holds both hoops and frames. :-)

Dianne

Old September 2nd 04, 02:58 PM
Joan Erickson

D.M.Evans wrote:

Is there one way that is more accepted amongst experienced stitchers?

Darlene, just remember this mantra (and keed repeating it to yourself):
The best way to do it is what's comfortable *for me*!!!! ))
I always use a hoop (best for me is a metal/cork/spring-loaded type,
4-5") and have *never* had it permanently crush stitches of normal
thread-type floss. As Dianne said, once it's washed and ironed, they
pop right back up. I am a little more careful with metallics (still use
a hoop for that) but beads, definitely not! And beaded work can be
washed and ironed (face-down on a terrycloth towel) with no problem.
HTH!
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old September 4th 04, 03:24 AM
D.M.Evans

Thanks folks for the size recommendations for hoops. With your
encouragement, I think I am going to go back to hoops for my main work and
use the scroll when doing beading.

The next 'burning question' is about laying tools. I have one, and the use
of it makes sense,do you only use it with work in a supported scroll frame
?

Darlene
"

Old September 4th 04, 02:23 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Actually, I've used one while using a hand-held hoop. A bit more
tedious, but not too much so if you use the sewing method. :-)

If you're using two strands, a laying tool isn't necessary. You can
simply railroad the thread by placing your needle between the strands.

Dianne

Old September 5th 04, 12:38 PM
Catrin

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Actually, I've used one while using a hand-held hoop. A bit more
tedious, but not too much so if you use the sewing method. :-)

If you're using two strands, a laying tool isn't necessary. You can
simply railroad the thread by placing your needle between the strands.

Dianne

I am probably about to commit heresy, so be warned

I have used a laying tool, a trolley needle. I have arthritis in my
fingers and I cannot hold something extra, so I do like working with the
trolley needle (I hope that is spelled right).

Anyway, I can tell no real difference between something that I have used
the laying tool on, and not. I am working a current project and the
first half has laid stitches, and the section I am currently working on
doesn't have laid stitches. I cannot tell a difference between the two.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Catherine K.

Old September 5th 04, 01:22 PM
D.M.Evans

I have read that using a laying tool, reduces the knots that occur in the
back of your work as you stitch.

Darlene