Minimalism, No - Creativity, Yes

Old April 1st 04, 06:02 AM
lula

Default Minimalism, No - Creativity, Yes

It has occurred to me that as a stitcher with several related vices,
it's impossible for me to be a minimalist no matter how much I yearn for
Zen simplicity and order.......I'm a stitcher who has serious reasons to
collect everything related to my art........
There are so many stitching related things that I can't live
without......

I can never choose just a few colors of anything.......my heart lusts
for every color available of every thread and yarn I see........and
since I have a lot of threads and yarns........I must also buy
attractive storage to display these prizes........beautiful baskets and
boxes among some interesting containers.

Then there are the collections of fabrics to go with all the threads and
yarns....there are so many times that I MUST HAVE the right "materials"
to work with at 3:35 am and can't go shopping!
How handy it is to have baskets and boxes full of supplies to make
anything I come up with.........but even with such largesse, there's
always a missing color or shade I need to have, so must go
shopping....."again".

AND......there are the books......so many wonderful books to inspire and
motivate, to entertain, to daydream.......books I can't live without for
many reasons.

I've filled up all the wall to wall to ceiling bookshelves with many
interesting books and collections of interesting objects, or my "toys".
These "toys" inspire my work and add a lot of color and texture to my
surroundings......a lot of these "toys" are folk art dolls, carvings,
ceramics and figurative pottery from all over.......no one can be
depressed in this place with all those colorful, happy, smiling faces
around.....a great mental health reason to be surrounded by things one
loves.

For practical purposes, many of the books are stacked neatly and make
wonderful "end tables"......in fact, I have quite a few matching sets of
"end tables" that also hold my baskets of threads, yarns and projects
along with other books that I'm currently reading.....all at the proper
heights so I don't have to strain to reach anything.
It's handy how useful books can be in so many ways, educational,
decorative and useful! One can never have too many books and homes
without books are without soul in my opinion.

I've come to the conclusion it's an impossibilty for me as a creative
person, to be a follower of the minimalist school of interiors
decorating no matter how much I admire clean, wide open
spaces.........hahaha, Roger claims I could fill up an empty factory
loft with my collections in no time..........his favorite line is, I
expand to fit the spaces!!

As far as I'm concerned, it's wonderful to be surrounded with such an
array of stuff to create with even if I have to zig zag around stacks
and piles from room to room........
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures
Old April 1st 04, 10:26 AM
Pat P

"lula" wrote in message
[...]

You`re definitely not alone, Lula -and I bet I`m not the only other!!! I
keep my immediate needs in a huge toolbox (the kind used by electricians and
plumbers) which sits by my chair. My husband gets very nervous when we go
to a DIY store as I`m always off looking for an even bigger, better one. He
gets all the castoffs, so his tool shed is very well equipped!

It`s soon reaching the stage of being a hazard to shipping - or at least to
people coming through the lounge door, which is close to where I sit!!!
I`probably have to install a flashing light on it before long!

Pat P

Pat P

Old April 1st 04, 02:32 PM
anne

lula said
It has occurred to me that as a stitcher with several related vices,
it's impossible for me to be a minimalist no matter how much I yearn for
Zen simplicity and order.......

ROFLMAO -- yet another reason to like you ;-)

My daughter seems to have adopted her husband's neat freak, clutter-free ways.
Not long after she completed decorating her new home, I think I raised her
hackles a bit because I said it looked very minimal as there was almost no
trinkets adorning the tables and just a few large pictures on the walls. I
backpedaled and said it was very tasteful, just not my taste.

fwiw, I don't decorate; I accumulate

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 1st 04, 06:09 PM
lula

Anne,

Thanks for your compliment......here's a compliment in
return........what a clever fun quote you've come up with!

"I don't decorate; I accumulate"

Makes for a good quote on a "sampler" type design........
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

lula said

Old April 1st 04, 06:15 PM
lula

Oh my Pat......hahaha, Roger will like your suggestion......it'll help
prevent him from banging up his shins......

Geez, don't know if you have flashing blue light specials in shops as
they have here in the states.
In some stores, they wheel a cart around with a flashing blue light to
indicate where the current specials are........getting a funny picture
of Lula's house of specials!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old April 1st 04, 07:24 PM
BDS2pds

I keep a minimal and organized sewing room. I only buy a product I need for
the immediate project. I do not have all of the DMC for instance. It is kept
organized and will use it again if I can. Now, as to why I was able to do that
involves moving 14 times in 27 years. I will check back in with you if I can
in 27 years and we will see what I've got!
Old April 1st 04, 08:11 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Minimalizm ??? LULA i live in the Middle East !!!! i have a salad of
techniques i use ,, as well as LOOM , Sewing Machine , Knitting
needles ,Mine bought in 3 different numbering systems !!!! as well as
inherited ones , threads beads cloth , clothes to be sewn , to be
recyvcled , wools cottons books works in progres [ on the loomin
basket in bags in copybooks
minimalism .....i try i really realy try ,,, but it spouts out more
and a little more ,, and this Works come out ,, torn between
minimalism and a full soul that needs to make ...
mirjam

Old April 1st 04, 08:19 PM
clancy

Don't you just wonder about people who can actually say 'they're bored' ...
with all the wonderful things to do in this world, I can't imagine it. A
lot of nights when I can't sleep, I wander into my sewing room and just sit
and go thru magazines, books, patterns, etc. - of course it gets your mind
all wound up again cuz you start making plans to do this quilt, that
x-stitch, this pillow - oh the list goes on .... I've been known to put a
small quilt top together in the wee hours of the morning or start a x-stitch
Christmas tree ornament ... I wish sleep wasn't necessary really ..... so
much fun stuff to do, so little time it seems.

Sharon (N.B.)

I have two big bookcases and a little one just loaded with stuff - and I'm
eyeballing my husband's bookcase .... :-))

Sometimes I just open up one of my many bins of fabric and refold while
stroking it like a new-found pet .... are we all as crazy? How anyone could
not have a hobby is beyond me. I can lose myself for hours in my room and
totally enjoy the 'me' time - no noise ... just books, fabric, sewing
machine

Old April 1st 04, 09:18 PM
Debra

wrote:

For practical purposes, many of the books are stacked neatly and make
wonderful "end tables"......in fact, I have quite a few matching sets of
"end tables" that also hold my baskets of threads, yarns and projects
along with other books that I'm currently reading.....all at the proper
heights so I don't have to strain to reach anything.
It's handy how useful books can be in so many ways, educational,
decorative and useful! One can never have too many books and homes
without books are without soul in my opinion.

End tables! I love it! Why didn't I think of that? What else are
you using books to build? I could use the ideas.

BTW, I have seen a floor lamp made from badly outdated books.

Debra in VA
Old April 1st 04, 09:53 PM
anne

lula said
Geez, don't know if you have flashing blue light specials in shops as
they have here in the states.
In some stores, they wheel a cart around with a flashing blue light to
indicate where the current specials are........getting a funny picture
of Lula's house of specials!

I'm getting a few images myself -- one is X rated and features Chocollata
(spelling??) eg
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply