knitting socks

Old May 5th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jennym

Default knitting socks

Hello all

I'm trying to teach myself how to knit socks and I'm getting on all
right (once I figured out that when knitting in the round stocking
stitch you just keep on knitting and it's fine). I just wondered about
wool types. Currently I'm using DK. Would knitting in 4-ply be worth
all the extra time? I'm quite enjoying ploughing through with
"thick" wool.

Also, any recommendations for good sock yarn?

Thank you (shame about all the spam on here recently)

Jenny
Old May 6th 11, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kirsten Watson

In article ,
Jennym wrote:
Hello all

I'm trying to teach myself how to knit socks and I'm getting on all
right (once I figured out that when knitting in the round stocking
stitch you just keep on knitting and it's fine). I just wondered about
wool types. Currently I'm using DK. Would knitting in 4-ply be worth
all the extra time? I'm quite enjoying ploughing through with
"thick" wool.

It depends on what your shoes are like. I quite like thicker socks, but
some of my shoes won't go over them.

Also, some of the specific sock
yarns are really nice, reinforced with nylon for strength, and pretty
colours, so that's worth the effort, and antibacterial chemicals
(there's one which is infused with horse chestnut juice for
antibacterial properties, for example).

You don't get the same sense of a quick fix that you would from
knitting socks out of a thicker yarn though - as one of my friends is
keen to point out, a pair of 4ply socks usually takes about as many
stitches as a sweater.

Also, any recommendations for good sock yarn?

I love Socks that Rock but it is very expensive. I also enjoyed
working
with Schoeller & Stahl Fortissima Socka - and it washes well. It's what
I used for the skirt in this pictu
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/...8e8fac36_z.jpg

Thank you (shame about all the spam on here recently)

Indeed. I remember when this was one of the more active groups, and
definitely it's still one of the most friendly. Then the spam just
didn't seem as bad (I think maybe there was less as well?)

Kirsten

Old May 13th 11, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jennym

Hey Kirsten

*It depends on what your shoes are like. I quite like thicker socks, but
some of my shoes won't go over them.

Well, I was silly not thinking of that, thank you I've bitten the
bullet and got some 4-ply fancy sock wool and am looking forward to so
slow burn knitting. Now all I need are some tiny double pointed
needles!

Thank you for your help.

Jenny
Old May 13th 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kirsten Watson

In article ,
Jennym wrote:
=A0It depends on what your shoes are like. I quite like thicker socks, bu=

some of my shoes won't go over them.

Well, I was silly not thinking of that, thank you

You and me both... I didn't think of it until the socks were finished
and on my feet

I've bitten the
bullet and got some 4-ply fancy sock wool and am looking forward to so
slow burn knitting. Now all I need are some tiny double pointed
needles!

Good luck, and have fun!

Kirsten
Old March 9th 12, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aussie Spinner

On Friday, May 6, 2011 3:21:48 AM UTC+10, Jennym wrote:
[...]

If you are happy knitting with thick wool then go for it. It really depends what you want to use the socks for. If you intend wearing them around the house then I don't think it really matters. You really only need to pay special attention to thinner yarns if you want to knit socks to wear outside with shoes.
I spin my own wool so it is not the finest (yet) nor the most consistent. Whilst I have only knitted a few pairs of socks everyone loves the homespun character, with all the lumps and bumps.
Just have fun doing it. I'm finishing off a set of leg warmers, two on a single circular needle. Maybe I will try two sock on a single circular next time.
Are you knitting toe up?
Keep calm and keep knitting. :-)
Suellen
Hand Spinning in Oz (on Google Groups)

knitting in green , knitting with Multi multi colors knitting for fun mirjam Yarn 8 March 7th 10 08:54 AM
knitting socks Spike Yarn 3 July 21st 09 11:51 PM
As a socks Manufacturer in the sock capital of the world, We export Sports Socks, Dress soxmaker Yarn 0 September 15th 07 09:21 AM
Those Lithuanian socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book spampot Yarn 1 September 29th 06 05:38 AM