When you have Leftovers , how do you plan something ?

Old November 15th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Default When you have Leftovers , how do you plan something ?

When you find loads of Different leftovers , how do you go about
planning something with it.??????
i sort them out by weight first , and than by colour , and than think
i could use all kinds in one work /
when i have a different amounts of wool baals in each color , an neat
way it to knit the number of raws by number of balls ,, for example if
i have 3 blue 2 red and 1 white balls i might knit 3 blue raws, 2 read
raws and 1 way ,, this way i will use up all the wool equaly , and
won`t get stuch having finishe one before the others ,,,,
mirjam

Old November 16th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bruce wyatt

On Nov 15, 8:16�am, mirjam wrote:
When you find loads of Different leftovers , how do you go about
planning something with it.??????
�i sort them out by weight first , and than by colour , and than think
i could use all kinds in one work /
when i have a different amounts of wool baals in each color , an neat
way it to knit the number of raws by number of balls ,, for example if
i have 3 blue 2 red and 1 white balls i might knit 3 blue raws, 2 read
raws and 1 way ,, this way i will use up all the wool equaly , and
won`t get stuch having finishe one before the others ,,,,
mirjam

I save every little piece that is longer than 12 inches. I use them
for embroidery on afghan stitch squares and then put the squares
together for an afghan. Frances
Old November 16th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

I just toss them all into sacks of like-weight and like-fiber
content. Periodically I get a sack out, spread all the goodies on the
sofa, and then decide what to make -- hats/scarves/mittens for school
children, sweaters for little ones, afghans, etc. I have found that
leftovers are very handy to test out various color patterns. If I
like one particularly well, I make a sample and may use it later for
something, and if I don't like one very much that's OK, too -- it's a
smallish item and I'll be finished with it soon! Meanwhile, I have
the pleasure of designing and knitting, and people who need things get
them.
Old November 16th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

I save every little piece that is longer than 12 inches. *I use them
for embroidery on afghan stitch squares and then put the squares
together for an afghan. *Frances

Nice idea Frances ,, for embroidery i like longer threads , or i mix
some left over ones,,
mirjam
Old November 17th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
King's Crown[_3_]

"mirjam" wrote in message
When you find loads of Different leftovers , how do you go about
planning something with it.??????
i sort them out by weight first , and than by colour , and than think
i could use all kinds in one work /
when i have a different amounts of wool baals in each color , an neat
way it to knit the number of raws by number of balls ,, for example if
i have 3 blue 2 red and 1 white balls i might knit 3 blue raws, 2 read
raws and 1 way ,, this way i will use up all the wool equaly , and
won`t get stuch having finishe one before the others ,,,,
mirjam

I always wondered what to do with the leftovers too. They're too good to
get rid of yet not enough to do anything with. Then I joined a machine
knitters group and one thing they do every month is make hats to donate for
cancer patients. They use the scraps very nicely with these hats. Some
have many many stripes of colors. Some have a brim of color. Some are half
and half. Made me realize my scraps could go to a good cause.

Lynne

Old November 17th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

I always wondered what to do with the leftovers too. *They're too good to
get rid of yet not enough to do anything with. *Then I joined a machine
knitters group and one thing they do every month is make hats to donate for
cancer patients. *They use the scraps very nicely with these hats. *Some
have many many stripes of colors. *Some have a brim of color. *Some are half
and half. *Made me realize my scraps could go to a good cause.

Lynne

Lynne this reads , as a very nice act.
I have found that i can knit also doll clothes as well as make FF
crochet bags for bazzars ir my own presents ,,
some of my sweaters are also quite colorful and i also use many
leftovers in my weaving ,,, but there are always more ideas around ,,
mirjam
Old November 17th 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

On Nov 16, 7:35*pm, Mary wrote:
I just toss them all into sacks of like-weight and like-fiber
content. *Periodically I get a sack out, spread all the goodies on the
sofa, and then decide what to make -- hats/scarves/mittens for school
children, sweaters for little ones, afghans, etc. *I have found that
leftovers are very handy to test out various color patterns. *If I
like one particularly well, I make a sample and may use it later for
something, and if I don't like one very much that's OK, too -- it's a
smallish item and I'll be finished with it soon! *Meanwhile, I have
the pleasure of designing and knitting, and people who need things get
them.

Mary you just reminded of this project in Knitter`s , it was called
something like the Big American Afgahn or something like that , it was
made of many samplers like you describe ,, mirjam
Old November 18th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda Lee

I make crochet yoyos with my left-overs and turn them into 12" squares
for a lapghan for a Seniors' Home. I have enough left-overs to make one
every year.

For the tiny pieces I use them to add a little color to a pom-pom for a
child's hat.

Also blankets for the animal shelters. I just pick up one color after
another no matter where it ends and make a square. Sandwich 2 squares
together and trim in black or white. The animals don't care.

I have very little waste.

Old November 18th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
King's Crown[_3_]

"mirjam" wrote in message

I always wondered what to do with the leftovers too. They're too good to
get rid of yet not enough to do anything with. Then I joined a machine
knitters group and one thing they do every month is make hats to donate
for
cancer patients. They use the scraps very nicely with these hats. Some
have many many stripes of colors. Some have a brim of color. Some are half
and half. Made me realize my scraps could go to a good cause.

Lynne

Lynne this reads , as a very nice act.
I have found that i can knit also doll clothes as well as make FF
crochet bags for bazzars ir my own presents ,,
some of my sweaters are also quite colorful and i also use many
leftovers in my weaving ,,, but there are always more ideas around ,,
mirjam

mirjam,

"Lynne this reads , as a very nice act." What is meant by this? It comes
across as I'm putting on a show... or being dishonest? Am I reading this
incorrectly? I was just joining in on my favorite topic... yarn.

Lynne

Machine cover from leftovers John Quilting 21 February 24th 09 06:12 PM
Using up the leftovers John Quilting 17 February 3rd 09 10:00 PM
Log Cabin Leftovers, 1.5" strips, anyone? Sherry Quilting 17 October 17th 08 03:59 PM
OT - Thanksgiving leftovers Tinkster Beads 12 November 26th 04 07:15 PM
FA: leftovers from GRAPE LAMPSHADE (all handmades) Howard Glass 0 August 20th 04 07:26 PM