OT - Gum drop fruitcakes

Old November 30th 04, 11:23 PM
Donna in Idaho

Default OT - Gum drop fruitcakes

Just finished my holiday baking. My family loves my gum drop fruitcakes (no
citron or candied fruit in this recipe). After we found out my DH was
diabetic we quit making them. My son was commenting the other day how much
he used to like the gum drop fruitcakes. So, we decided we could make them
for the kids this year. Just made 5, enough for 2 for two son & daugher &
one for the other son. We won't keep any for us.

It was kinda fun to make them again. They're in the oven now & the kitchen
smells so good!
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

Old November 30th 04, 11:27 PM
maryd

I made a lot of breads before I found out I was diabetic. I boxed and
bagged my breadmaker and all the special flours and will give them to my
future DIL today. I already gave her the cookie making stuff since she is
the cookie queen of our family.

--
Mary
news

Old December 1st 04, 01:10 AM
Kate Dicey

Donna in Idaho wrote:

Just finished my holiday baking. My family loves my gum drop fruitcakes (no
citron or candied fruit in this recipe). After we found out my DH was
diabetic we quit making them. My son was commenting the other day how much
he used to like the gum drop fruitcakes. So, we decided we could make them
for the kids this year. Just made 5, enough for 2 for two son & daugher &
one for the other son. We won't keep any for us.

It was kinda fun to make them again. They're in the oven now & the kitchen
smells so good!

Even with a diabetic DH I still make chocolate christmas cake... 6
sitting waiting for marzipan and a chocolate topping! And I'm thinking
of making chocolate stollen this year.

I think managing diabetes must be so much harder for type 2's.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 1st 04, 06:14 AM
Lenore Lawrence

How 'bout making some with sugar free gum drops???? They taste great!

Lenore

news Just finished my holiday baking. My family loves my gum drop fruitcakes (no

Old December 1st 04, 06:04 PM
Donna in Idaho

I've seen lots of other sugar free candy, but I didn't realize there were
sugar free gum drops! I'll have to look for those next year. Thanks.

--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org
ink.net...

Old December 1st 04, 07:22 AM
Sharon Harper

What about making just one and then slicing and freezing it in single slice
serves? A real PITA if you want to eat, eat, eat but as a once every so
often treat - and planned for, not too bad. This is one of my habits. I
either do that or give most of it away.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old December 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Neeej

recipe please?

-- Jean S
Old December 1st 04, 07:24 PM
Donna in Idaho

When I made this yesterday, I did it in half batches. One half of this
recipe will fit in the bowl of my Kitchen Aid mixer. I used to do triple
batches, but I just don't have the strength to mix that much by hand
anymore. The batter is very, very stiff.

If we happen to get Gum Drops that have licorice ones, we don't use them in
the cakes. The Spicy Gum Drops I got this year didn't have licorice.

Gum Drop Fruit Cake

Cream together:
2 C butter or margarine
2 C sugar
2 tsp soda dissolved in a little water

Add:
4 eggs, one at a time
3 C applesauce

Sift together & add:
8 C flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp each cinnamon & cloves

Add:
4 lb gum drops (we cut the gum drops in two - dip your scissors in water to
keep the gum drops from sticking to the scissors blades)
2 lbs. raisins
3 cups nuts (we use pecans)

Pour into greased & floured loaf pans.

Bake at 275 degrees until tooth pick comes out clean. Let cool partially,
then remove from pans to finish cooling. We soak the cakes in rum or orange
juice for several weeks wrapped in aluminum foil.

I'm not giving you the time for baking, because it depends on the size of
the loaf pans. We use the disposable (which I wash & use over & over) pans
in a couple different sizes. It took about 2 1/2 hours for the larger size
disposable pans.

Enjoy! My kids and grandkids love this recipe. The slices look like
stained glass when you cut the cake!

--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

"Neeej" wrote in message
recipe please?

-- Jean S

Old December 1st 04, 07:44 PM
Donna in Idaho

I forgot! Be sure to take half the flour mixture & mix well with the gum
drops, nuts & raisins or you'll have a gooey mess!

--

"Neeej" wrote in message
recipe please?

-- Jean S

Old December 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
Neeej

Thankee mam---I maight have to try this, Weight Watchers or no G

-- Jean S

Drop Ship Joe & Judy's Discount Jewelry Jewelry 1 October 9th 04 08:20 PM
fusing with a drop mold stephen cartwright Glass 3 January 29th 04 08:48 PM
ISO round drop beads Deborah Beads 0 October 25th 03 01:19 AM
Where to buy Prince Rupert's Drop Keith Patrick Glass 13 September 6th 03 02:51 AM