Your favorite trick?

Old March 17th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Your favorite trick?

My grandmother would call this an "old Indian trick". She didn't worry
about being politically correct since she was an American Indian. Anyhow .
.. .
I just set 28 beautiful sampler squares on point. Generally, the
outside of the squares are ivory. The setting triangles are so dark green
that they are almost black.
Naturally, any oops would show. Even from a horse galloping by at least
15 feet away. They needed to be perfect.
My Bernina does not take kindly to stitching over pins so I hauled out
my favorite old Indian trick. I weaved a fine needle through the stitching
for about 3/8" of the opposing seams to hold everything steady.
Voila! (or viola, whichever) Yesss. Every one of those rascals is
standing up perfectly on point.
There was the tiny problem of finding that fine needle after stitching
so I finally threaded it with about 3" red thread so it was easy to remove
and proceed. Do you have a trick we need to know about? Polly

Old March 17th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

read that twice and still none the wiser.
maybe i need some caffeine or
maybe someone else who got it could splain it so i
understand it.

i'm assuming you were talking about sewing seams similar to
2 x 2 patches into a single 4 patch block.
i make sure the upper seam allowance goes under the needle
first, then i have control over it.
the lower seam that i can not see or control follows behind.
the presser foot shoves the top fabric towards you,
the feed dogs pull the lower fabric away from you and
those nested seams snuggle into one another ever so sweetly.
shrug,
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old March 17th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Yes, Jeanne. Another cup of caffeine sounds good. In a perfect world, you
can press the seams so that they nestle and everything comes out perfect.
Sometimes, it just doesn't happen.
This quilt top had too many seams needing to go the same way or the
wrong way or so they couldn't be seen and angles coming in from all
directions. These blocks were more like robbing a bank and shouting 'Nobody
move'. Polly

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
read that twice and still none the wiser.
maybe i need some caffeine or
maybe someone else who got it could splain it so i understand it.

i'm assuming you were talking about sewing seams similar to 2 x 2 patches
into a single 4 patch block.
i make sure the upper seam allowance goes under the needle first, then i
have control over it.
the lower seam that i can not see or control follows behind.
the presser foot shoves the top fabric towards you,
the feed dogs pull the lower fabric away from you and
those nested seams snuggle into one another ever so sweetly.
shrug,
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote...
My grandmother would call this an "old Indian trick". She didn't worry
about being politically correct since she was an American Indian. Anyhow
. . .

Old March 17th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

And that, dear Polly, is why you are making those blocks and I'm not.
I will drool over your quilt when you show it to us, but I could
never, ever stick with something like that until I got it done. I so
admire all of you who are "well a-pointed" quilters. All that nesting
seams stuff just drives me crazy. Not good for somebody who probably
needs Ritalin.

Sunny
Old March 17th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Polly Esther wrote:

My Bernina does not take kindly to stitching over pins so I hauled out
my favorite old Indian trick. I weaved a fine needle through the stitching
for about 3/8" of the opposing seams to hold everything steady.
Voila! (or viola, whichever) Yesss. Every one of those rascals is
standing up perfectly on point.

This is why I piece by hand. I can't get
points to match to save my life using a
machine!

-- Anita --
Old March 17th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Read about this in one of Carol Doak's books, she does a couple of little
stitches just at the seam intersections, checks to be sure they all match
just right, then sews the whole seam. Easier taking out only a couple of
stitches if you mess up.
Roberta in D

Old March 17th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default Your favorite trick? HUH??????

Still befuddled. I will be happy to ooo and ahhhh if we ever get to see it,
but Polly doesn't have a camera, right? So who's to say all those points
really match up.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old March 17th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

If Polly says they all match up, then it's good enough for me! LOL (But I
sure wish she'd get a digi cam and show us her projects- reading about them
just isn't as satisfying as seeing them!) I like to sew with a long basting
type stitch. If something doesn't match, then it's easy to snip a few
stitches, re-align the seams and baste again. When everything is good, then
I sew over the basting stitches with my normal 18 st. per in. I sew v-e-r-y
slowly over my pins. Why pin only to pull the pins out again before you sew
the area you've just pinned???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

. ..

Old March 17th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I have much better luck pressing my seams open, but that's just me. I can't
stand the "hump".

Cindy

Old March 17th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

EGADS! did some one cast doubts on Polly's claim to perfect points? *gasp*
Bring me my salts! ~fanning~ However, I too desperately wish Polly would
get a camera and post photos ....if only to see how long it takes for some
of her pictures to show up on the 10 o'clock news. *snort!*

I can set in a perfect sleeve using just one pin or no pins at all (another
old Indian trick) and I sew over pins at full speed ahead, in fact a great
deal of my sewing is 'hammer down-full speed ahead. (Probably why I will
never make it into the Quilting Hall of Fame.) BUT, for really persnickety
stuff I baste. I've found that spot on accuracy doesn't happen with pins,
just the pin going through fabric can wonk up a "to the gnat's a** exact
match". A fine needle and single strand thread is tantamount to a procedure
where "this'll work" is not accurate enough. If you don't have time to do it
right the first time, where does the time come from to re-do it over, and
over, and over.........?

Val

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
If Polly says they all match up, then it's good enough for me! LOL (But
I sure wish she'd get a digi cam and show us her projects- reading about
them just isn't as satisfying as seeing them!) I like to sew with a long
basting type stitch. If something doesn't match, then it's easy to snip a
few stitches, re-align the seams and baste again. When everything is
good, then I sew over the basting stitches with my normal 18 st. per in.
I sew v-e-r-y slowly over my pins. Why pin only to pull the pins out
again before you sew the area you've just pinned???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

An applique trick Polly Esther Quilting 11 August 23rd 07 05:46 PM
OT a little techy trick? Polly Esther Quilting 8 April 25th 06 08:30 AM
OT a cheap trick frood Quilting 18 February 18th 05 07:32 AM
Cabbing Trick Jack Schmidling Jewelry 4 June 30th 04 06:40 AM
A cheap trick Polly Esther Quilting 24 September 26th 03 01:18 PM