Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

Old October 28th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

Default Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

In article 5cm0h.9866$hK.2446@trnddc02, DAB wrote:
Olwyn Mary wrote:
DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so
instead of 2 per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size 13
needles....not sure what to do about that.

Donna

Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on swatching
until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.

Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to find 11's
I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Um... using the ones you have, you got 2.5 sts per inch, but what you want
is 2.0 sts per inch... so you want to use _bigger_ needles. Try size 15.

=Tamar
Old October 28th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Olwyn Mary wrote:
DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so
instead of 2 per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size 13
needles....not sure what to do about that.

Donna
Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on swatching
until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.

Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to find 11's
I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Um... using the ones you have, you got 2.5 sts per inch, but what you want
is 2.0 sts per inch... so you want to use _bigger_ needles. Try size 15.

Or she might be able to get it on 13s.

sue
Old October 28th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Richard Eney wrote:

Um... using the ones you have, you got 2.5 sts per inch, but what you want
is 2.0 sts per inch... so you want to use _bigger_ needles. Try size 15.

=Tamar

OOPS!! Glad you picked that up for me. (It's been one of those weeks,
and looks like next week will be just a bad.)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 28th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Olwyn Mary wrote:
DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so
instead of 2 per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size 13
needles....not sure what to do about that.

Donna
Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on swatching
until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.
Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to find 11's
I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Um... using the ones you have, you got 2.5 sts per inch, but what you want
is 2.0 sts per inch... so you want to use _bigger_ needles. Try size 15.

Or she might be able to get it on 13s.

Oooops. Forgot about the previous post where she said that's what she's
using and still getting too many sts/inch. Yeah, try the 15s.

sue
Old October 28th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to find 11's
I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Donna

You could get a 3/8" hardwood dowel from your hardware store. It's
roughly equal to a size 13 needle. Cut it to the length you want,
stick the ends into a pencil sharpener to make the basic taper (I use
our battery operated one at home), then sand it down ALMOST to a size
12 needle on the body with very rough sandpaper (a wood file takes off
too much and creates a flat surface on your dowel faster than you'd
think), and then switching to finer sandpaper BEFORE you've reached
the thickness you want (8.5 mm), and get a smoother finished surface
on the body of the needle and tips with finer sandpaper to finish
sanding it down to 8.5 mm. Apply a LIGHT coating of linseed (now only
available in the art supply section of Wal-Mart for me) or other wood
working oil to a shop towel or paper towel and rub it lightly over the
needles, then let them sit overnight to soak that in. Use a white
unscented candle to wax any rough spots you may find when using the
needles.

It takes me an hour to make two 12-inch needles (10 is too short, 14
too long for my liking) or one 6-inch crochet hook using dowels. For
the crochet hook, you also need either a Dremel or equal cutting
instrument for faster cutting of the hook head, a wood file to make
the flat hand holds near the head of the hook, or more time and a
sharp pocket knife to hand carve the whole thing, then you also have
to sandpaper it smooth, oil it, and let it soak in overnight. If
using a pocket knife, always point the blade AWAY from you and make
sure there's no one across from you watching, because if you slip, or
catch on a knot in the wood, accidents can happen. Also, when cutting
with the Dremel or sanding, wear safely glasses or goggles.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not rocket science, it's knitting,
and you need only an approximate in between size set of needles to
change your gauge, so having a slight variation in the size around, as
long as it's not 1/4 mm or larger, won't matter when making your own.

I used a 1/4" dowel and got a 6.0 mm set of needles, which is between
size 10 (5.75 mm) and 10.5 (6.5 mm) on my Boye needle gauge, which can
make a difference if I just can't get the gauge I need with 10 or
10.5.

If you're really creative, you can add decorative clay knobs or simply
glue beads to one end of your needles if you want single points and
are afraid your work will slide off the end.

Leah
Old October 28th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Leah wrote:
Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to find 11's
I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Donna

You could get a 3/8" hardwood dowel from your hardware store. It's
roughly equal to a size 13 needle. Cut it to the length you want,
stick the ends into a pencil sharpener to make the basic taper (I use
our battery operated one at home), then sand it down ALMOST to a size
12 needle on the body with very rough sandpaper (a wood file takes off
too much and creates a flat surface on your dowel faster than you'd
think), and then switching to finer sandpaper BEFORE you've reached
the thickness you want (8.5 mm), and get a smoother finished surface
on the body of the needle and tips with finer sandpaper to finish
sanding it down to 8.5 mm.

and

I used a 1/4" dowel and got a 6.0 mm set of needles, which is between
size 10 (5.75 mm) and 10.5 (6.5 mm) on my Boye needle gauge, which can
make a difference if I just can't get the gauge I need with 10 or
10.5.

Where are you getting these sizes from? 10s are 6mm and 13s are 9mm....

sue
Old October 28th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

wrote:
Olwyn Mary wrote:
DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so
instead of 2 per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size
13 needles....not sure what to do about that.

Donna

Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on swatching
until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.

Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to
find 11's I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Um... using the ones you have, you got 2.5 sts per inch, but what you
want is 2.0 sts per inch... so you want to use _bigger_ needles. Try
size 15.

=Tamar

LOL oh right....told yous I was Math impaired. Actually I am dyslectic.

Old October 28th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

wrote:
Olwyn Mary wrote:
DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so
instead of 2 per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size
13 needles....not sure what to do about that.

Donna
Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on
swatching until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.
Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to
find 11's I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Um... using the ones you have, you got 2.5 sts per inch, but what
you want is 2.0 sts per inch... so you want to use _bigger_
needles. Try size 15.

Or she might be able to get it on 13s.

sue

Well now that I understand better I will try and knit looser.

Old October 28th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Leah wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all that information.....I will save this for later as I would
love to make my own needles......the prices for good ones are high....I
prefer the wood ones.

Donna

Sock Yarn Question hesira Yarn 10 June 28th 06 03:16 PM
yarn question Stella Fenley Machine Knit 2 October 13th 04 05:19 PM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Yarn question Janise Ross Yarn 5 October 9th 03 04:15 PM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM