Snap tape

Old September 25th 04, 10:51 PM
Karen Maslowski

Cynthia, I think Polarfleece, et al, are even more flammable, and on the
body they are not self-extinguising the way cotton is. Instead, it has a
very low flashpoint, and melts into a disfiguring mess of super-hot
plastic. I absolutely do not understand this love of Polarfleece and its
cousins for baby and infant wear, in light of this.

Regarding have plastic melt on the body: I once spilled a bowl of hot
fudge, direct from the pan, onto my leg and gave myself a lovely 2nd
degree burn--and that's after immediately getting it off my thigh (I was
wearing shorts). If I'd been wearing something that was melting onto me
I would not be sitting here typing to you today.

Karen in Ohio

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
Cotton flannel does not always 'poof' up
into flame, but the linting factor makes it quite flammable. Lint is so
flammable that we used to save the dryer lint for campfire starters!

Old September 26th 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

Safe flannel? You mean that stuff that bursts into flame at the
slightest hint of a spark?

YES! You make an important point, Tom! Lots of people don't realise how
dangerous flannel (or, as we in Oz call it, 'flannelette') is! The
fluffy nap is so easy to catch flame and the layer of oxygen that makes
the fabric a warm one is what feeds the fire. Mind you, it's hard to
know what *is* the safest fabric for children's sleepwear: synthetic
fabrics melt and 'outgas' while natural ones smoulder and then flame.
It's interesting to note that the 'danger' component doesn't really come
into play while the child is actually *sleeping* in the garment: it's in
the time before bed that vigilance is needed.

And flannel is made more flammable by use of fabric softener: e.g.
http://tinyurl.com/5hcoz
http://tinyurl.com/69u8n

No fabric is perfectly safe and hardly any are outright dangerous. The
key factor in most cases is for the parents to observe how warm or
cool it is and ensure that the child is wearing it when appropriate.

Actually, there is a good fiber for safety that's easily available:
wool. Though it will burn when there's flame applied to it, it's self-
extinguishing. Also stinks enough to give some warning. Now if y'all in
Oz can just get enough wool production going from that flock that has
almost microfiber-fine wool... g

Texture also plays into fire safety. A loopy or napped or very thin fabric
will have enough oxygen around it to easily support flame, while it's tougher
to get a tightly woven fabric of the same fiber to catch. Lace and ribbon
can be problematic, too. Fit also counts: loose stuff (like my beloved
cotton flannel nightgowns) are a bigger fire safety hazard than, say,
closely fitting knit cotton long underwear. Baggy long underwear worn
as pjs, though, are nearly as bad as my flannel nightgown.

Here are the Consumer Products Safety Commission regs summarized for
commercial sleepwear, up to 6x size:
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumsleepwear.pdf

Older kids need some care too (and adults!). One of my young nephews caught
his cotton terrycloth bathrobe sleeve on fire reaching across a toaster. He
was too shocked to do anything. His younger brother, who's often in a world
of his own, started yelling "stop, drop and roll", shoved him down on the
floor and extinguished the fire. Could have been much more hurt than
dignity that time.

Then there are the really dumb moments in life. I had a cat who was
about the intelligence of Kate's Cornflake. The cats were *never*
allowed on the kitchen counter, but this one jumped up to see what I was
doing, and stuck his tail under a pot on the gas stove. Lit burner of
course. Soon, a lit tail. I grabbed him and stuck his tail in the
dishwater... no harm, but he acted like I'd dipped him in cat solvent. g

Kay

Old September 26th 04, 05:50 AM
Tom Farrell

Karen Maslowski wrote in message .. .
Cynthia, I think Polarfleece, et al, are even more flammable, and on the
body they are not self-extinguising the way cotton is. Instead, it has a
very low flashpoint, and melts into a disfiguring mess of super-hot
plastic. I absolutely do not understand this love of Polarfleece and its
cousins for baby and infant wear, in light of this.

I'm not going to try to address every brand of fleece on the market,
but I'm talking here specifically about Polartec, from Malden Mills,
in Lawrence, Massachusetts. I'm not discussing their older Polarfleece
brand products.

Here's their web page about their features:
http://www.polartec.com/fabrics/technologies.php
I quote from the web page:
" * Will not melt or drip on the skin
* Flame resistant properties do not change after use or repeated
launderings"

That kinda surprised me actually, I figured they'd just claim a high
melting point or something. I may have to burn a scrap sometime to see
what happens.

And, I don't know where you get self-extinguishing cotton, but my
experience is that cotton is, plain and simple, fuel, and flannel is
the worst of all. Does this mean that I think we should keep cotton
away from baby? No, I don't. Frankly I think we should, instead,
prevent baby from catching on fire.

I don't understand *your* belief that we have to select different
fabrics for babies than for everyone else. Babies are people and are
just as valuable as other people - no more and no less. If a mother
doesn't believe a fabric is safe for her baby, she darned well
shouldn't be wearing it herself (she has to live to be there for the
baby!) or letting anyone else in her family wear it. Either Polartec
is safe for everyone under appropriate circumstances, or it's not safe
for anyone.

If you want to treat un-meltability as your primary criteria in
selecting fabrics, okay, that's fine. But, my firemen friends wear
Polartec and other fabrics not made of natural fibers, so I feel
Polartec is good enough for myself, my family, and friends in that
regard.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old September 26th 04, 08:34 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Ah:- fill cardboard egg cartons with dryer lint. Store in shed with other
camping supplies. Not a fire hazard if stored correctly. We lived in a
very wet climate and away from 'sporting goods' stores that sold sure-fire
fire starters. Lint and candle bits saved many a camping trip when I was a
teen...
Cynthia
Stuffing toys with lint? How disgusting!

wrote in message

Various fasteners on childrens' clothes (was Snap tape)

(Cynthia Spilsted)
snip most of the interesting parts
Lint is so flammable that we used to save the dryer lint for campfire
starters! Cynthia
---
Lint is indeed very flammable, to the point that it has been known to
self-combust, so I am surprised you saved it!
Tightwad advice has been known to recommend stuffing toys and such
with dryer lint, which totally grosses me out.
Cea

Old September 26th 04, 08:37 AM
Kate Dicey

Kay Lancaster wrote:

[...]

Wool is fine unless you are allergic to it, which both James and I are.

Texture also plays into fire safety. A loopy or napped or very thin fabric
will have enough oxygen around it to easily support flame, while it's tougher
to get a tightly woven fabric of the same fiber to catch. Lace and ribbon
can be problematic, too. Fit also counts: loose stuff (like my beloved
cotton flannel nightgowns) are a bigger fire safety hazard than, say,
closely fitting knit cotton long underwear. Baggy long underwear worn
as pjs, though, are nearly as bad as my flannel nightgown.

Naked flames are the real danger with all these fabrics. Yes, hot
things like toasters and solid cooker rings will set things on fire, but
it takes more effort!

Here are the Consumer Products Safety Commission regs summarized for
commercial sleepwear, up to 6x size:
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumsleepwear.pdf

Older kids need some care too (and adults!). One of my young nephews caught
his cotton terrycloth bathrobe sleeve on fire reaching across a toaster. He
was too shocked to do anything. His younger brother, who's often in a world
of his own, started yelling "stop, drop and roll", shoved him down on the
floor and extinguished the fire. Could have been much more hurt than
dignity that time.

Cooking in this house is done over gas flames, but long hair is tied
back and sleeves are tight fitting and rolled up or short for cooking.
The toaster lives in the cupboard and is only brought out when wanted,
when it sits on the work top in the kitchen with only the wall behind it.

Then there are the really dumb moments in life. I had a cat who was
about the intelligence of Kate's Cornflake. The cats were *never*
allowed on the kitchen counter, but this one jumped up to see what I was
doing, and stuck his tail under a pot on the gas stove. Lit burner of
course. Soon, a lit tail. I grabbed him and stuck his tail in the
dishwater... no harm, but he acted like I'd dipped him in cat solvent. g

Kay

Cat solvent! Ouch, that made my face ache with the giggles! But I do
know what you mean. Kitties are not permitted on work surfaces here,
and Cornflake may be thick as tar, but he has a reasonable grasp of what
I won't allow, and has never tried to get up there. Sugar Puff, on the
other hand, is just so nosy that she has tried. Not often, as she isn't
fond of flying lessons!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 26th 04, 02:27 PM
Taria

Hope Cornflake is better KAte. I thought our kitties didn't go on
counters. I have found that if you get up in the middle of the night
there is a bad cat sprawled across the kitchen table or the counter.
Think the cool tile counter is a draw in the warm summer. I have been
using a lot of the beach wipes since I caught the kitties. Cats
seem easier than dogs but really they are just sneakier!
Taria

Old September 26th 04, 02:39 PM
Trish Brown

Kay Lancaster wrote:

Actually, there is a good fiber for safety that's easily available:
wool. Though it will burn when there's flame applied to it, it's self-
extinguishing. Also stinks enough to give some warning. Now if y'all in
Oz can just get enough wool production going from that flock that has
almost microfiber-fine wool... g

LOL! Funny you should mention that, Kay! I've been thinking meself
lately: where on earth does all our wool go? It's *so* hard to buy 100%
wool any more! AFAIK, there's only one shop in N'cle that sells it and
it costs an arm and a leg! Considering the amount of wool we shear every
year, I have to wonder whether there's some black market arrangement
going on somewhere? Mind you, we don't actually process the wool we clip
- we just sell it on. I wonder why that is? Wouldn't you think some
bright Oz spark would dream up a clever new way of spinning fine yarns?
Oh well! It's the middle of shearing now, so spare a thought for all
those naked sheep romping over the countryside! ;-

Texture also plays into fire safety. A loopy or napped or very thin fabric
will have enough oxygen around it to easily support flame, while it's tougher
to get a tightly woven fabric of the same fiber to catch. Lace and ribbon
can be problematic, too. Fit also counts: loose stuff (like my beloved
cotton flannel nightgowns) are a bigger fire safety hazard than, say,
closely fitting knit cotton long underwear. Baggy long underwear worn
as pjs, though, are nearly as bad as my flannel nightgown.

I have the largest, most voluminous, *greenest* flannelette nightgown
you ever imagined! I made it by hand from doubled flannelette and it's
*enormous* - makes me feel like a hot air balloon sometimes. I'm fully
aware how dangerous such a garment could be, though, and am careful
never to go near a naked flame with it on.

Older kids need some care too (and adults!). One of my young nephews caught
his cotton terrycloth bathrobe sleeve on fire reaching across a toaster. He
was too shocked to do anything. His younger brother, who's often in a world
of his own, started yelling "stop, drop and roll", shoved him down on the
floor and extinguished the fire. Could have been much more hurt than
dignity that time.

Gee, that was well done! Few kids would have the presence of mind to do
that!

Then there are the really dumb moments in life. I had a cat who was
about the intelligence of Kate's Cornflake. The cats were *never*
allowed on the kitchen counter, but this one jumped up to see what I was
doing, and stuck his tail under a pot on the gas stove. Lit burner of
course. Soon, a lit tail. I grabbed him and stuck his tail in the
dishwater... no harm, but he acted like I'd dipped him in cat solvent. g

Kay

Oh! I know it's not funny but, 'cat solvent'??? ROTFL! LOLOLOLOLOL! Poor
cat!

The worst burn I've ever had came from a day when I was visiting my
aunt. She saw smoke coming from her neighbour's garden shed and I hopped
the fence to investigate (the neighbour was out). It was the neighbour's
naughty little grandson playing with matches! He'd set the shed alight
and was sitting inside bellowing because he couldn't see his way out! I
grabbed him and took us both outside, but not before an old terylene
shower curtain had melted and dripped a great drop down my forearm. I
still have the scar! It was *so* painful - the terylene fused with my
skin and continued to cook it. Ice didn't help and it took ages for the
pain to subside and the remainder of the terylene to wear off my skin. I
remember what fun it was to pick away at it with tweezers each day...

Anway, after that, I wouldn't recommend a 'melting' burn! They hurt like
mad!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 26th 04, 02:49 PM
Kate Dicey

Taria wrote:

Hope Cornflake is better KAte. I thought our kitties didn't go on
counters. I have found that if you get up in the middle of the night
there is a bad cat sprawled across the kitchen table or the counter.
Think the cool tile counter is a draw in the warm summer. I have been
using a lot of the beach wipes since I caught the kitties. Cats
seem easier than dogs but really they are just sneakier!
Taria

Ours cats don't have access to the kitchen, or even to the main house in
normal times, so over-night sneaking is a tad more difficult. Our
'conservatory' (posh name for a lean-to wash house!) is got to through
the living room rather than the kitchen, and they usually get shout out
there over night, with access to the great outdoors but not the house.