OT sewing pj pants question

Old August 5th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Default OT sewing pj pants question

(this has nothing to do with quilting except that once I get a few more
sewing projects finished I need to start on a quilt, either for myself
or the little one who is to arrive in January. I've asked this over on
the sewing group but so far have gotten no answers and I'm needing to
get these pj pants started so they can be finished soon)

For years now I've made pj pants for my two DGDs in California and am
now adding my two DGDs here in Western New York. I only have to trace
patterns for the older girls since I rarely throw anything away ;( and
I've made so many of them they go together really quickly. (Thanks to
Juno for the serged on elastic waistband method I use!)

Monday I got some flannel out to start cutting, one is a snazzy glittery
pink and orange print that I bought with the glitzy loving redhead in
mind. But when the 4 yo saw it she told me it was her favorite, she just
loves it, and can she please have it for her pjs? I tried for a while
figure out how to have enough fabric for both the size 10 and the size 4
but it just wouldn't work.

So, my question is (finally, sorry to be so long-winded) would it be
better for me to find a new pattern? The one I have always used has a
one piece leg rather than a separate front and back. It seems I might be
able to get more from a yard of fabric if I used a front and back but
not sure of the fitting differences between the two.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I find a new pattern? The one
piece pattern does use a lot of width and doesn't leave much usable
yardage. Would it use less fabric if I could use a pattern with a front
and back leg rather than the one piece leg I use now?

Judie
Old August 5th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I saw your post on alt sewing, but my only suggestion would be to check in
the major sewing books for a pattern like you are describing and see how
much fabric it takes in each size that you need.
I keep a small notebook in my purse with the person's name and a pattern
number for pj's, slacks, & top, and how much fabric I need.
Hope this is clear.
Barbara in SC

Old August 5th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I am not sure which uses less but I bet you the one piece pattern has plenty
of fullness and you could just make them a bit narrower without anyone
missing the extra. Just take a tuck along the leg side of the pattern a
bit.
That should help a bit.
I am curious why folks don't wear matching pj's anymore. There seem to be
bottoms everywhere but nobody has tops, just t-shirts. And what is it with
young women wearing pj pants out in public? Sheesh if you are too lazy to
dress stay home!
Taria

Old August 5th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Judie, go back to alt.sewing and read all of the crotch seam question. It
began on 7/24 and will make you an authority on pj patterns, saving fabric
if you open a shop for constructing Levis in Ballahallawonga and all manner
of occasionally related subjects. Furthermore, I would guess that you could
cut pjs more economically if you actually had a front and back piece.
Wouldn't save any time but if you have pink glitz that you need to stretch
as far as you can, it may help. Polly

Old August 5th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

Taria wrote:
I am not sure which uses less but I bet you the one piece pattern has plenty
of fullness and you could just make them a bit narrower without anyone
missing the extra. Just take a tuck along the leg side of the pattern a
bit.
That should help a bit.
I am curious why folks don't wear matching pj's anymore. There seem to be
bottoms everywhere but nobody has tops, just t-shirts. And what is it with
young women wearing pj pants out in public? Sheesh if you are too lazy to
dress stay home!
Taria

I agree Taria! And it isn't just teen girls. I've seen women and men
doing the same lately. My girls wear tank tops with their pj bottoms.
They buy them all separate.
Old August 5th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Taria,

I know what you mean about the pj pants in public, they call them
"lounge pants" I think. I even see fat old men (in slippers no less)
wearing their pj pants at the grocery store these days.

As far as my own DGDs go, they like to wear over-sized t-shirts to sleep
in with the pj pants as bottoms in the winter months. But I quite often
make them pj tops in coordinating color knits to go with the flannels.
Only the youngest like the flannel as tops and I make them raglan style
(usually) with a knit ribbing neckline.

I already cut up the pink/orange glitz but wish I had thought to just
take a tuck in the middle (where the side seam would be)when I was
cutting. Sometimes I think I forgot how to think. Thanks for the
suggestion, I will keep it in mind.

Judie

Old August 5th 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Taria,

and another thing is pjs are quite often sold as separates these days,
not the matching tops and bottoms that used to be the standard. I really
don't like this as the bottoms seem to be priced the same as a whole set.

Judie

Old August 5th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Can't really answer your question, except to comment that PJs are
about as simple as a garment ever gets. "Tailoring" them by adding
more pieces, IMO, will only increase the fabric requirement because it
adds extra seam allowances. You could probably reduce the overall
width slightly so the fit is a bit tighter, but maybe the pattern is
already a slim cut. And this only works on slim kids.
My suggestion would be to make shorty PJs, ideally sized so they would
fit through next summer.
Roberta in D

Old August 5th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:03:02 -0500, Taria wrote
(in article ):

And what is it with
young women wearing pj pants out in public? Sheesh if you are too lazy to
dress stay home!
Taria

I'm with you on that Taria!

Maureen

Old August 5th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think you might have hit on the whole reason this trend has started.
Manufacturers make more money this way.
It is getting tougher to find 'old fashioned' jammies all the time. We were
watching the movie Captain Blood last night and laughing about the captured
woman in the beautiful pegnoir. (is that how you spell it?) Olivia
deHaviland is a class act. No mis-matched sets for her!
Taria

OT fleece pants Anne Rogers Quilting 5 September 18th 09 01:57 PM
baby pants Zargurretta Needlework 1 October 29th 07 10:51 PM
pajama pants betsy Sewing 5 February 13th 07 10:24 PM
Help with material for pants. Johnny Sewing 1 October 11th 06 11:43 PM
ironing pants Dr.Quilter Quilting 1 July 12th 04 04:07 PM