What binding?

Old May 27th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

Default What binding?

I have gone through my fabric a bazillion times (ok, maybe not THAT
many) but I just cannot seem to get the right binding for this baby
quilt: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...85238655KaGxLE

Would it look ok to just bind it in black? Or should I be looking at
something else? Somebody just tell me what to do so I can get it done
and out of my hair!

Thanks,
Dannielle
Old May 27th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

The link took us to the panel with the teddy bear - is that the one you're
trying to decide on? I don't think I'd go with black, but I could see it
with the blue that's in the border (with the numbers and alphabet) or even
the darker brown of the teddy bear.

Now, if you're trying to decide on the black and gray Turning Twenty, black
would be fine, but I'd put a bright border on it first - maybe a red or
turquoise or lime.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old May 27th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I can help. I was just at nap time reading Helen K's (late, of QNM)
thoughts on decisions that really, h-o-n-e-s-t-l-y don't matter. This is
one of those times. Write your options on little scraps of paper. Put them
behind your back, scramble them, choose one and get going. And no. You can
not use black. Polly

"Dannielle" writeI have gone through my fabric a bazillion times (ok,

Old May 28th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

Louise,

Yep, the teddy bear panel is the one. I tried to get a blue to match
and I have nothing that looks good with it. I hadn't considered brown
yet, but I will now! I'm gonna go through my stash!

Thanks,
Dannielle

Old May 28th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

Alright, alright, I won't use black. I have gone through the blues,
greens, yellows and nothing looked good. I thought red would be a bit
too over the top, the purples really looked off and I just was
clueless. Of course, now I've got your suggestion and Louise's. I'm
gonna play some more with the brown and see what else comes from this
bucket of knowledge.

Dannielle

Old May 28th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_4_]

How about using different colored strips for the binding.....strips
that would match the rug in the quilt. Yellow, green, blue, and
different shades of whatever is in the quilt.

Donna
in WA

Old May 28th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Dannielle wrote:

I have gone through my fabric a bazillion times (ok, maybe not THAT
many) but I just cannot seem to get the right binding for this baby
quilt: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...85238655KaGxLE

Would it look ok to just bind it in black? Or should I be looking at
something else? Somebody just tell me what to do so I can get it done
and out of my hair!

Thanks,
Dannielle

Do you have any blue that matches what's in the center? That's what I'd
be looking for. Definitely not black. Maybe a brown to coordinate with
the yellow? Now I'm going to read the other replies ....

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old May 28th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I might be late in this but my first would be white. Second try to match
the blue. If that doesn't work then the cream or yellow color.
Take Care
Joanna

Old May 28th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I expect I'm too late! But ...

No, not the black,; and I wouldn't really like a dark binding on this
sweet little quilt (and that is from someone who almost always does!!).
If you use a plain colour, a deep cream or creamy yellow would be my
choice.
However, what I think I would like best of all is if you have a small
scale print which has pink, blue and yellow in it. It wouldn't matter
what the pattern was, really, as so little would be showing, but I think
the combination of colours would be fun.

I do like the idea of doing a binding with the quilt colours joined in
strips. But, if you do that, it might be best to avoid the continuous
mitred binding method, as the chances of getting an unwanted seam at a
corner would be quite high! Do the square - sides then top - method in
preference.

It's a dear little picture.
..
In message
,
Dannielle writes
I have gone through my fabric a bazillion times (ok, maybe not THAT
many) but I just cannot seem to get the right binding for this baby
quilt: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...85238655KaGxLE

Would it look ok to just bind it in black? Or should I be looking at
something else? Somebody just tell me what to do so I can get it done
and out of my hair!

Thanks,
Dannielle

--