Handles

Old August 3rd 03, 02:13 AM
Cecilia Wian

Default Handles

"L.Mac" wrote in message
om...
I seem to have hit a wall in the handle making department. I was
doing fine with both pulled and rolled handles but suddenly I can't
seem to make one to same my life. Actually, my problem is in
attaching the handle--they don't want to go on or stay on. The
biggest problem is with cracking when I attach the top part and then
curve it to attach the bottom part. Does anybody have any
suggestions?
Thanks for your time.
L.Mac

So, what you're saying is they crack when you bend them? That it's pulling
off when you try to get it to the shape you want?

Cecilia

Old August 8th 03, 04:45 AM
Jim Carr

Pull a few handles at a time. When you finish pulling one, break it
off and immediately smoosh the top end down onto a table edge, allowing
the rest of the handle to loop up and hang over the edge of the table.
Let them firm up like this for a while before attaching them and you
wont be bending them so drastically while your trying to attach them.
(Your kind of training them to keep the correct curve while their
firming up.)
As for the attachment point itself, if your scruffing up the
attachment point with a pin tool and using thick slip to prep the area,
you shouldn't be having any problem.
BTW, remember not to attach the bottom of the handle directly below
the top, on a thrown piece. Usually the cylinder will "unwind" a bit
during firing, so you should attach the bottom a little to the left,
(relative to the top), of where you would like it to end up.
Hope some of this is usefull.....

jim

Another Mystery "heirloom" Jack Schmidling Jewelry 20 March 26th 11 09:11 PM
AD - Four new vessels going up - Tink Tinkster Beads 3 November 21st 04 08:10 AM
turning old silverware into kitchen pull handles terry Jewelry 6 June 5th 04 04:59 PM
Beginners Knife?? Jim Warren Carving 5 March 17th 04 06:36 PM
tips on handles GaSeku Pottery 8 July 17th 03 07:51 AM