Recommended Quilting Books

Old October 27th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Recommended Quilting Books

DS gave me an Amazon token for my birthday, and I think its time I spent
a bit of it!

I have been looking at actual quilting books, and have found these:

"Quilting Inside the Lines" by Pam Clarke

"Machine Quilting Solutions" by Christine Maraccini

"Quilting Possibilities, Freehand Filler Patterns" by Sue Patten

Unfortunately I am only able to look on Amazon, no quilt shop near who
stocks them, and the bookshop here doesn't know what quilting is, so can
anyone give their views on these - and recommend any others I should
look at.

I have the McTavishing book and Barbara Chainey's already. I really want
to know what to do when I have the quilt sandwiched up! I am inclinded
look at it for a long time and then take the easy way out and stitch in
ditch and diagonals, as the quilts I've done recently were gifts, but I
have some ready sandwiched which are staying here, so I want to try
something new on them. Just using Janome 6500. Want easy to do but looks
complicated!!!

I tried the 'look inside' facility for some of the books I looked at,
but some had the pictures removed (copyright? have people been copying
the pictures?)

Any other recommendations welcome - but I have to use the UK Amazon -
the token says so! I did think about the triangle book that's a bit like
Dear Jane, but that wasn't listed, nor is the birds applique one - not
that they are quilting - they were just where I started before I looked
at the quilting ones.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old October 27th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have the Sue Patten book, Sally.
I like it a lot, though I haven't tried anything from it yet - I haven't
finished anything since I got it gg The principles do look sensible.
Did you try looking inside the books on Amazon.com? I bought some CD's
recently from Amazon.co.uk, but used the 'listen' feature on Amazon.com
to listen first. Amazon.com might have better 'look' facilities, too??
I almost certainly got my book from Amazon.co.uk, as I don't think I
found it in a shop and I don't send for anything in the US.
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 27th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

"Quilting Inside the Lines" by Pam Clarke

"Machine Quilting Solutions" by Christine Maraccini

"Quilting Possibilities, Freehand Filler Patterns" by Sue Patten

I don't have the first, I think I've seen it, but haven't looked at it
sufficiently to comment. I have the 2nd and it's highly recommended, she
gives so many different possibilities, including trapunto, they are
mostly freehand and she breaks down how you make each individual line.
The 3rd I also have and I don't recommend it at all, there are very very
few quilted examples, it's all line drawings and she doesn't actually
tell you how to do anything, or even mark the starting point, so you
have to find a point and trace your finger around the diagram to figure
out how you might do it, she builds everything up from about 4 basic
fillers, but without instructions how to do those that doesn't really
help. Mostly I don't even like her examples, there are 36 different
blocks, each quilted a few different ways, but they are mostly not very
common blocks. There are a few bonus patterns for sashing dotted through
the book, but no ideas how to combine them, compared to the 2nd book,
where there is lots of help on analysing the quilt top and pulling
patterns together as well as analysise of the purpose of the quilt and
what type of quilting is appropriate.

Cheers
Anne
Old October 27th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Yes I did look on the US site too, but only the Machine Quilting
Solutions had anything, and that was just the basics for machine
quilting, too small to read, and was really the bit at the beginning of
the book before you get to the stuff that makes the book different to
all the other quilting books. The contents list looked interesting .I
presume it costs to let people look inside, + the copyright issues, so
few do it.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Patti wrote:
I have the Sue Patten book, Sally.
I like it a lot, though I haven't tried anything from it yet - I haven't
finished anything since I got it gg The principles do look sensible.
Did you try looking inside the books on Amazon.com? I bought some CD's
recently from Amazon.co.uk, but used the 'listen' feature on Amazon.com
to listen first. Amazon.com might have better 'look' facilities, too??
I almost certainly got my book from Amazon.co.uk, as I don't think I
found it in a shop and I don't send for anything in the US.
.
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

Old October 27th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_p...02_excerpt.cfm
i found this page at the publisher for the 2nd book, fwiw.
jeanne

"Sally Swindells" wrote...

Old October 27th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Qui...s_BD44506.html
inside book #1.
jeanne

"Sally Swindells" wrote...

Old October 27th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

inside
#3http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting%20Possibilities%20Freehand%20Filler%20Pat terns_BD44393.html
jeanne
gotta love connecting threads site, eh.

"Sally Swindells" wrote...

Old October 27th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

"Quilting Inside the Lines" by Pam Clarke

I have this book. It concentrates on stencil work. Pam takes the
stencils and breaks them up to you can understand better how to quilt
them. It features borders also. How you can take a stencil and break
it up to do the design as a border. She also shows you how to follow
the design. She uses a couple dozen stencils, and the graduation of
difficulty.

The reason I bought it was the feature of breaking down the design. I
have a machine quilting frame and can't do a whole stencil at one
time. I have to break it down in sections. She also shows how to
take the measurements of your borders, break it down into grids and
make a stencil design fit your quilt, either shrink or enlarge. And
the biggest feature is you can do this on the frame or sitting at your
sewing table.

Just remember one thing there is a learning curve. Once you get the
hang of it you can do it freehand.

You will start with simple loops and graduate to feathers. And
feathers are not difficult once you learn now to breakdown the design.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old October 28th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Aren't you clever - I could never have found that! Tomorrow I will order
the book (too late for brain to work tonight - just looked at my watch
and its far, far too late!)

Thanks.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old October 28th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Thanks, the Maraccini is winning at the moment, sounds as though it will
hold my hand more.

My token was rather large so the others may tempt me, or......

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Ok trying again to share Linda recommended Picture trail So here are some photos of my work Just Jewelry this time to try that some are new Vicky Beads 1 April 19th 07 08:38 AM
Quilting Books Cheryl Quilting 9 February 15th 06 06:46 PM
embosser replacement disk needed- recommended suppliers? Keith General Crafting 2 August 17th 05 08:33 AM
FA: Quilting and Craft books Home Marketplace 0 October 29th 04 01:00 PM
Using Flannel For Quilt Back - Recommended? J. Hooley Quilting 12 February 21st 04 05:46 AM