Sweater on Circular needles?

Old January 2nd 05, 02:19 PM
Katherine

Default Sweater on Circular needles?

emerald wrote:

When I used to knit, before, one of my least favourite things was
doing the finishing on garments - I really do a poor job of the
seams. Could someone please recommend me a book, or website, about
knitting sweaters on circular needles?

Patons has two - one for pullovers and one for cardigans. Not only are they
on circulars, they are from the rop down, which makes things even easier.
That being said, my mother refused to knit of straigh needles for the last
ten years of her knitting life. SHe just converted every pattern to
circulars. Just check out the Patons website, and look for Upside-Downers.
In fact, doing a Google for that might help.

HTH
Katherine

Old January 2nd 05, 02:43 PM
Stella Fenley

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/circular.html
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/FEATtheresa.html
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html
http://www.skacelknitting.com/free_patterns.html
the last site has patterns that you can make with circular needles.
Good luck . Stella
"emerald" wrote in message

When I used to knit, before, one of my least favourite httpthings was
doing the finishing on garments - I really do a poor job of the seams.
Could someone please recommend me a book, or website, about knitting
sweaters on circular needles?

Thank you!
Eimear

Old January 2nd 05, 03:45 PM
Wooly

Elizabeth Zimmerman, "Knitting Workshop" and "Knitting Without Tears".
The former is truly a knitting retreat in a book - you'll learn how to
make sweaters that fit, in the round and using any yarn/needle
combination, from the bottom up with only a few stitches to graft at
either underarm.

The latter is more of a "how to knit" book, one I keep on the shelf
and to which I often refer.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:35:26 GMT, "emerald"
spewed forth :

Old January 3rd 05, 06:02 PM
emerald

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've bookmarked the websites and
I'll try and track some of the Elizabeth Zimmermann books down.

Eimear, enjoying working away on my NYCO wrap, but contemplating sweaters,
and life (!), as I go.

Old January 3rd 05, 09:12 PM

Jacqueline Fee's book, "The Sweater Workshop" (ISBN 0-89272-533-8 or ISBN
0-89272-533-9) is an update of Zimmerman's concept with Zimmermann's
permission. Fee starts out by having her students knit a sample tube to
learn all the stiches, then shows how the stiches can be combined to make
several variations on a raglan sleeve sweater. This is a book for someone
with limited familiarity with knitting to use to learn to knit a good
sweater. I bring this up because, Fee's book is is in print and sold
nationally at Barn's and Nobel book stores.

A much more advanced text is "Knitting in the Old Way" by Gibson-Roberts and
Robson (ISBN 0-9668289-2-5). This text offers 3 ways to knit a sweater from
the bottom up, and a dozen other ways to make a sweater. Of these, Plan 11,
page 102 is the Zimmerman concept. This is a book for someone that is
seeking excellence in sweaters. The "Old Way" is carried by Border's. (if
you sign up with Border's, in advance, (online) they will send you discount
coupons by email.)

Oh, and by the way, a paperback edition of Mary Thomas's 1938 classic text
on knitting is out. I am not sure that it is real useful, but it sure is
whimsical and fun.

Fee seems to just want you to have fun knitting something that you can be
proud of, Gibson-Roberts and Robson are ever so serious, but they do have
some very good ideas.

Aaron

Old January 4th 05, 01:45 AM
Barb and Tom Milledge

I have a sweater started but did not bring all the instructions for E.
Zimmerman's percentages that work for any yarn- for circular knitting- I
have the numbers to start but not the percentages- can anyone help?
thanks barb-can snowbird in Fl

Old January 4th 05, 03:51 AM
JJMolvik

"emerald" wrote in message

When I used to knit, before, one of my least favourite things was doing

the
finishing on garments - I really do a poor job of the seams. Could someone
please recommend me a book, or website, about knitting sweaters on

circular
needles?

Thank you!
Eimear

My suggestion is "The Wonderful Wallaby" sweater pattern. It is like a
hooded sweatshirt with the one "across" pocket. The ONLY seaming is a few
inches under the arms. Following is the website for their "FAQ" page:

http://home.earthlink.net/~adbatiste/WW_FAQ.html

HTH

JJMolvik

Old January 6th 05, 09:17 AM
Els van Dam

In article eNfCd.681721$nl.88776@pd7tw3no, "emerald"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've bookmarked the websites and
I'll try and track some of the Elizabeth Zimmermann books down.

Eimear, enjoying working away on my NYCO wrap, but contemplating sweaters,
and life (!), as I go.

Eimear, I could lend you my Elizabeth Zimmerman knitting book, what are
you doing this coming Saturday. would you like to come to our Guilds
Distaff day. It is held in Duncan, here is the notice, it would be great
to meet you and we have a great time, last year there were over 60 people
there, if you do not spin, bring your knitting, there are lots of knitters
there as well. Els

****************Saturday, January 8, 2005

*************Bring your spinning wheels or drop spindles
*************and join us for a day of spinning or visiting.
****************Please bring show and tell.
***********
*************************St. Johnıs Church Hall
**************Jubilee and 1st Street, Duncan

hate spam not welcome
Old January 7th 05, 07:05 AM
emerald

Eimear, I could lend you my Elizabeth Zimmerman knitting book, what are
you doing this coming Saturday. would you like to come to our Guilds
Distaff day. It is held in Duncan, here is the notice, it would be great
to meet you and we have a great time, last year there were over 60 people
there, if you do not spin, bring your knitting, there are lots of knitters
there as well. Els

Hi Els,
Thank you, I'd love to come. I always love to see other people's work. Will
you be there all day?

Eimear