The Hat picture

Old August 18th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default The Hat picture

On Aug 17, 4:00 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

t...

Well, thank you all for your sympathy but Mum was 96 and for the last few
years knew nothing about anything outside her world, which was television.
She died peacefully, in her sleep and well cared for in a hospital.

I'm feeling relieved because I no longer have to worry about her and make
those very difficult telephone calls which always went the same way, I knew
by heart what she would say :-( And I'm pleased that she didn't suffer at
all, unlike my Dad many years ago.

I'm sad because my brother didn't contact me when she went into hospital,
before we were away. I'd have dropped anything to go and be with her.

My mother was a clever, creative, energetic and artistic woman, a great
force in the community, ambitious for me and disappointed that she felt my
Dad held her back. My attitude is that one's achievements should be measured
in personal happiness, not in financial or career terms.

More appropriate to this group, my Mum taught me knitting, crochet,
embroidery, dressmaking and the like, as well as cooking and baking. I still
think of her every time I make bread, which is every week. But that was in
her young and middle years, before my Dad died.

The great unhappy reality about situations like these, which we can't avoid,
is that we're looking at a reflection of ourselves in the future. I'm very
like my mother in many ways ...

Nobody's said anything about my hat ... I'm quite proud of it and I've
described the long process of making it, I thought someone would be
interested :-)

Thank you all, again,

Mary, I enjoyed looking at your hat, but felt awkward mentioning it
and
your mother's death in the same post.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 18th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:00:36 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I think it looks super Mary. It just didn't seem right to go straight from
condolences to a "where did you get that hat" theme.

LOL!

OK, I understand that. It's just that this hat saga has been running for so
long that I thought I'd better explain the latest hold-up :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing it on either you or your husband.

I'll try again.

Mary

Old August 18th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Spouse wearing the hat.

It can be worn in lots of positions. He's not the best model though :-)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6c8i82s

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4kn6dl1

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4m31tuw

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4q8uzps

Mary

Old August 18th 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:26:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It can be worn in lots of positions. He's not the best model though :-)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6c8i82s

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4kn6dl1

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4m31tuw

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4q8uzps

Mary

Aha! Now that is more like it :-)

That looks rather smart on him and I like the triangle shape - it makes
it that bit different. Will you make more of the same, do you think?

Bernadette

Old August 18th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:26:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It can be worn in lots of positions. He's not the best model though :-)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6c8i82s

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4kn6dl1

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4m31tuw

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4q8uzps

Mary

Aha! Now that is more like it :-)

That looks rather smart on him and I like the triangle shape - it makes
it that bit different. Will you make more of the same, do you think?

I don't suppose so, I was using up thick wool from the stache and there are
only bits - literally inches - left now. I did think about making a pom pom
but it might be over the top in more ways than one!

Mary

Old August 18th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Hi Mary! *hugs of comfort to you in your time of loss* I haven't been
checking the newsgroup for a couple of days... been a bit too busy to spend
*too* much time on the computer. Of course I received your email and
expressed my sympathy in that about the loss of your beloved mother, but you
were still unsure as to how you would handle the trip and all at the time.
I hope you did make it and everything went okay. You mentioned some lovely
memories of your mother and how much she has taught you in your life... I'm
sure she is smiling knowing that you feel that way about her.

As for your hat, it looks very nice and I have to admit I don't remember
seeing a knitted triangular hat before. ;o). I love the colours! I'm
sure the others all enjoyed seeing your hat too and just felt it a bit out
of place to express condolences about the loss of your mother and interest
in your hat in the same post. )

*hugs*
Gem

Old August 18th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
It can be worn in lots of positions. He's not the best model though :-)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6c8i82s

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4kn6dl1

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4m31tuw

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4q8uzps

Mary

Love the pictures... they show of the hat much better on your husband than
just lying flat. Tell him I think he made a very good model. LOL

It's a shame (I just read in another of your posts) that you won't be making
more of these hats, I think it's neat. I can't honestly remember what was
said about the hat before, so if I ask something that was already mentioned
please forgive....

Did you make up the pattern yourself, or find it somewhere?
Is it knit in one piece or three separate pieces? Also on double pointed
needles (can't use due to the comfortable way I'm used to holding my
needles), circular (can't use, for the same reason mentioned already), or
straight needles (if you did the hat on straight needles, I could do it)?

Type of yarn, and size of needles?

I know... I'm nosy! LOL But I won't know unless I ask, right?

*hugs*
Gem

Old August 18th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
[...]

I can understand, I shouldn't have juxtaposed them in the same post, sorry
to everyone who felt like that and thanks again for your condolences.

Mary

Old August 18th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

Love the pictures... they show of the hat much better on your husband than
just lying flat. Tell him I think he made a very good model. LOL

No, he gets so many compliments (although never before about his looks!)
that his head only just goes through the door :-)

It's a shame (I just read in another of your posts) that you won't be
making more of these hats, I think it's neat. I can't honestly remember
what was said about the hat before, so if I ask something that was already
mentioned please forgive....

Well, I told the story of finding the pattern (in the EZ book) and how I'd
tried a couple of times and pulled it out then, instead of starting from the
headband, began from the crown. I didn't follow the instructions, just the
idea, because my yarn wasn't right. I don't understand American yarns ...
:-)

No bloomin' pattern's going to beat me so I persevered and used the yarns I
had according to my idea. When I'd got to a circumference which was
head-size I stopped decreasing and knitted (actually k. a row, p. a row, but
circular so that it looked like garter stitch and would be stretchy) then
cast off. You must remember that I've been knitting for more than sixty
years and at one time even knitted and crocheted to order for pin money so I
can work from an idea. I just lack the ideas. Also, it's been a few years
since I knitted anything, people seemed to prefer machine-made garments and
I don't like using my knitting or sewing machines. I've spent those years
sewing and embroidering but now that knitting is back in fashion I'm taking
advantage of clearing the stache.

Did you make up the pattern yourself, or find it somewhere?
Is it knit in one piece or three separate pieces? Also on double pointed
needles (can't use due to the comfortable way I'm used to holding my
needles), circular (can't use, for the same reason mentioned already), or
straight needles (if you did the hat on straight needles, I could do it)?

It could be done on straight needles but I began with three needles, then
four, then five, then, when I could use my shortest circular needle, I moved
to that.

Type of yarn, and size of needles?

Sorry, can't tell you - it's not a secret, I've just forgotten the needle
size and the yarn (mostly wool) was just oddments with no band but more or
less the same gauge. The blue had some man-made stuff in it I think, it
wasn't as elastic as wool, but I liked the sheen.

I know... I'm nosy! LOL But I won't know unless I ask, right?

Well true, but you still don't know :-)

I'm sure you could work out how to do it on two needles, do you have the
book - I think it's the one which gives a project for months of the year. I
bought it for the pi shawl and made one with 2ply baby wool but although it
looks like a cobweb I didn't enjoy the process. Next time I do another shawl
it will be one which increases gradually.

Sorry if I've gone on, I'm waiting for bread to prove, I'd better go and see
to it.

Mary

*hugs*
Gem

Old August 18th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

That is a wonderful hat , and I just have to say that with the hat on
your husband would make a wonderful portrayal of Dumbledore from Harry
Potter.

Hugs,
Coggie in MI

A new picture Shillelagh Yarn 14 April 9th 07 04:31 PM
New Picture Shillelagh Yarn 10 August 17th 06 07:47 PM
My BOM picture joysjane Quilting 27 February 12th 05 10:23 PM
New picture Norma Yarn 3 October 22nd 03 07:17 AM
New Picture Unclbennie Quilting 2 July 30th 03 01:36 AM