v-e-r-y OFF topic, a query about Catholic statues

Old April 9th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Default v-e-r-y OFF topic, a query about Catholic statues

Some of my family is Catholic and they've got an ongoing argument query about
placing a statue of Joseph in your yard when trying to sell your home. SOME
say you bury him upside down, some say you bury him facing away from the home,
and some say you do both.
Anybody know?
I personally don't believe in this, and am not Catholic myself, but am willing
to help the family out with the right answer.
Thanks!
Noreen
--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com

Old April 9th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

suzee wrote:

YarnWright wrote:
Some of my family is Catholic and they've got an ongoing argument
query about placing a statue of Joseph in your yard when trying to
sell your home. SOME say you bury him upside down, some say you
bury him facing away from the home, and some say you do both.
Anybody know?
I personally don't believe in this, and am not Catholic myself, but
am willing to help the family out with the right answer.
Thanks!
Noreen

I was raised Catholic, and I never heard of this! Could be it's a
superstition (?) unique to this family...?

sue

I "Googled" for it and found these links for you.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mstjoe.html

http://www.fisheaters.com/stjoestatue.html

I hope these help.
Bernadette

Old April 9th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
Some of my family is Catholic and they've got an ongoing argument query
about placing a statue of Joseph in your yard when trying to sell your
home. SOME say you bury him upside down, some say you bury him facing away
from the home, and some say you do both.
Anybody know?
I personally don't believe in this, and am not Catholic myself, but am
willing to help the family out with the right answer.
Thanks!
Noreen

I was raised Catholic, and I never heard of this! Could be it's a
superstition (?) unique to this family...?

sue
---

end quoted

Thanks, anyways, Sue.
(I was raised Catholic, the Church left me at age 13-ish, I left IT at age 18,
and I HAD heard of it. It COULD be a Polish Catholic thing, they're very big
on St. Joseph....
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000731-1, 04/08/2007
Tested: 4/9/2007 2:02:51 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old April 9th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Bernadette spun a FINE 'yarn':

suzee wrote:

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Bernadette!
I'll forward this info to the feuding family mambers.
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000731-1, 04/08/2007
Tested: 4/9/2007 2:02:53 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old April 10th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

Ah that could be. I lived in the West so there weren't big ethnic groups, in
or out of the Church. Unless you count Mormons...

sue
---
avast! AV: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000731-1, 04/08/2007
Tested: 4/9/2007 10:12:24 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

end quoted

Yes, like the Irish with St. Patrick, the Poles (and Italians) in Chicago and
up in WI claimed St. Joe, BIG-time, on March 19. In Chicago, all the Poles and
Italians wore RED on St. Joes Day...
funny that I still remember all this, it's a LONG time ago that the Church left
me and I later left it....

Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000731-1, 04/08/2007
Tested: 4/9/2007 10:18:44 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old April 10th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

YarnWright wrote:
suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

Old April 12th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"YarnWright" wrote in message
suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, and never heard of this superstition
(and my Mom was from an Irish background and was *very* superstitious) until
I moved into this house 3 1/2 years ago and the neighbour (a Dutch Roman
Catholic) was trying to sell her house... she mentioned it to me then. She
also said something about painting her door yellow to boost the sale of her
house. Nothing to do with the statue, but a completely different
superstition. Personally I find it disrespectful to bury a statue of any
saint.

By the way... although you may not have meant it as such, I also find it
disrespectful to call St Joseph "St Joe" just as I do not like to hear some
people call St Anthony "St Tony". Unless you lived back when they did and
knew them personally (which I highly doubt that anyone shortened names back
then anyway), I don't think it is very nice to abbreviate someone's (most
especially a saint's) name to make him/her sound like they are your buddy.

Just my opinion!
Gemini

Old April 13th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Default Gemini: v-e-r-y OFF topic, a query about Catholic statues

Not Likely spun a FINE 'yarn':

"YarnWright" wrote in message
suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
suzee spun a FINE 'yarn':

YarnWright wrote:
[...]

Gem,
Sorry, didn't mean to offend, but gotta tell ya, our church,the one I grew up
in, honest to god, was St' Joe's. NOT St. Joesph's. St. JOE'S.
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com
http://yarnwright.com
http://noreensknitche.com
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us
http://optional-knitting.com
http://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-0, 04/11/2007
Tested: 4/12/2007 10:01:50 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old April 13th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Carey N.

"YarnWright" wrote in message
YarnWright spun a FINE 'yarn':
Gem,
Sorry, didn't mean to offend, but gotta tell ya, our church,the one I

grew up
in, honest to god, was St' Joe's. NOT St. Joesph's. St. JOE'S.
Noreen

AND, maybe it was a Chicago thing, but the church my Dad grew up in was

not St.
Patrick's, but St. Paddy's, honest to god, AND the church my uncle Lefty

grew
up in was St. Aggie's NOT St. Agnes's!
Just my two cents,
Noreen
Oh, mom says her church, St. Stanislas Kostka, had the official

*letterhead of
St. Stash's*, and that one was in northern Wisc.

Noreen,
Just what were they stash-ing: souls?! ;-))
--
Carey in MA