What is your preferred yarn for sweater knitting?

Old March 9th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default What is your preferred yarn for sweater knitting?

I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?
Pamjam

Old March 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Pamjam,

I always used acrylic yarn for any sweaters that I've made.

Hugs,

Nora

Old March 9th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Qintes" wrote in message
I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what yarn
to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do youns use?
Pamjam

It depends on the pattern, for spring/summer knitting, cotton blends, or
silk. Afghans are usually blends of wool/acrylic.
Most of my knitting is done with natural fibers.
DA

Old March 9th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Qintes wrote:
I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?

I've always used acrylic, but I also get too hot in them.... even before
hot flashes. I made a couple last summer in cotton and cotton/acrylic
that were fine. I have two cardigan/shrugs in the cotton/acrylic and
Lion's Jiffy - I wanted warmth for these. Have just ordered some Wool of
the Andes from knitpicks to make a sweater from Weekend Knitting, so
we'll see how that works out.

sue
Old March 9th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Qintes wrote:
I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?

Mostly acrylic, because of ease of washing.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 9th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I'm a fiber snob. I like wool for sweaters, superwash if the sweater
is for a kid. In a pinch I'll use other non-cotton fibers and blends
- cashmere, angora, mohair, silk...

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:49:30 GMT, Qintes spewed
forth :

I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?
Pamjam

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old March 10th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine wrote:
Qintes wrote:

I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?

Mostly acrylic, because of ease of washing.

Higs,
Katherine

I agree a sport weight acrylic. Sport weight is more comfortable and
lighter. I also think it flows better.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old March 10th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Real Yarn Snobs use wool!
Ultra Yarn Snobs use silk!
Mega yarn Snobs use frog's hair!

Practical peoples use synthetic. I mean, I have nice wool sweaters, but the
sweaters I wear on a daily basis are acrylic or acrylic/nylon. If you are
too warm in acrylic, use a thinner yarn or a looser gauge.

And Suzee, tell us about the Knitpicks! Inquiring knitters want to know!

Aaron

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Old March 10th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Suzee wrote:

Qintes wrote:
I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?

I've always used acrylic, but I also get too hot in them.... even

before
hot flashes. I made a couple last summer in cotton and cotton/acrylic
that were fine. I have two cardigan/shrugs in the cotton/acrylic and
Lion's Jiffy - I wanted warmth for these. Have just ordered some Wool

of
the Andes from knitpicks to make a sweater from Weekend Knitting, so
we'll see how that works out.

I'm making a sweater with Wool of the Andes right now, and it's working
out wonderfully! And you can't beat the price, either; less than $30
for enough yarn to make a 44" chest sweater.

I know some people have had problems with KnitPicks, but I've never had
any problems. Any concerns I've had have been addressed promptly, and
the yarns have been great.

With regard to the question asked, it depends on who's gonna be wearing
the sweater. If it's for my youngest daughter, the yarn better be
machine washable and dryable 'cause she's 7 and likes to play rough
outside. If it's for me or my older daughter I can use wool; we don't
get as messy g Baby clothes are always done in a nice, soft, washable
yarn; it would be cruel to make a new mother hand-wash baby sweaters.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old March 10th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Go to www.knitpicks.com which sells good quality yarns at very good prices;
they also sell tools, books and patterns and offer some free patterns.

--
Jan in MN

et...