New Miniatures web site

Old January 19th 04, 05:58 PM
Rick K

Default New Miniatures web site

Hello all!
I've been interested in making dollhouse miniatures for quite some
time, and have been reading messages here for the past couple months
or so. I've never known anybody else personally who liked to make
miniatures.
I've recently gotten more serious about it (including giving a try at
selling some on eBay).

I have just put some web pages up all about my Adventures with
Miniatures! I put them up on the internet this morning. It's divided
into 3 pages because there are so many images. I've also included on
the web site a little Windows program I wrote to help me convert
full-size measurements to 1:12 scale.

My story can be found at

http://lphrc.org/Mini

I have a big web site with pages on all sorts of topics cross-linked,
and I'd like to hear some comments about my newest section before I
start linking to it from other pages on my web site.

Rick
Malvern, PA
(see the third page on the web site for a preferred e-mail address)
Old January 20th 04, 01:58 PM
Carol

"Rick K" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You're located not too far from me. I'm in central NJ.
I checked out your website. I buy quite a bit from Cottage Industries. I
think they have some nice things, reasonably priced.

Comments on the miniatures section of your website:

1. I personally hate flashing, blinking etc graphics. It adds nothing to
the site and it's very distracting. I suggest you use non-animated
graphics. Also, your "making miniatures" graphic is larger than some of
your photos. You might want to think about making that smaller.
2. Many of the photos aren't very clear
3. Use a webmail form instead of having your email addy on your site. I
learned that the hard way after the spammers harvested my email addy from my
site and I had to set up a new email addy. You're also using a real email
addy in your posts and that's another way to attract spam.

I liked your bookshelf clock and the cube puzzle was nifty.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old January 22nd 04, 02:59 PM
Rick K

Are there some good places for miniatures in central NJ? I go there
once in a while lately: I have an uncle somewhere in central NJ and a
sister who recently moved to Collingswood and sometimes I go to the
Latin Mass in Berlin. Is there anything in the area you would suggest
seeing?

I've never seen anything from Cottage Industries for sale! It's been
several years since I made things for them, but it would be amusing if
you've bought something that I'd made.

I appreciate your comments on my web site.
I'll think about the flashy graphic. I like having a bit of activity
on the web page, but maybe I could cut down on it.

The thing at the top isn't a graphic! It's just text, with a bit of
stylesheet embellishment.

On the other hand, the e-mail address on the web page is a graphic!
That's a little trick to make it unharvestable (is that a word?) by
spammers. It must be copied by hand. It also makes it easy to change
the e-mail address on every page on my web site at once, just in case
the address somehow does get onto a spammers' list at some point.

The e-mail address on my posts is not an e-mail address I actually
use. G oogle groups requires a real e-mail address to sign up, but as
soon as I posted a message with that address, the mailbox immediately
started filling up with viruses!
The e-mail address on the web page is almost the same, except it's
rmkq rather than rmkg.

Rick K
Malvern, PA
http://LPHRC.org/Mini

Old January 23rd 04, 05:28 AM
Carol

"Rick K" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The only thing worthwhile in my area is Princeton. Beautiful town, good
restaurants, no mini shops.

I sell quite a few things by Cottage Industries. They have nice, reasonably
priced, accessories.

You can put in a phony email addy on your newsgroup posts. You don't have
to use a real one.

There is a downside to using a webmail form. You would not believe the
number of people who don't think to put their email addy in the form or
spell it incorrectly. I haven't figured out how to make it a requirement
and to be able to check whether it's a valid email addy before it's
submitted. I also ask for a phone number so that if the email addy doesn't
work I can call them. Most people put in their phone number. On the plus
side I don't have to change the webmail form if I change email addys as it
goes through my web hosting server.

The thing at the top of your pages which is not a graphic is still a bit
large and colorful for the page. Good thinking about making your email a
graphic rather than a real email but I bet some people try and click on it
and when it doesn't work, they don't bother. There are a number of not so
savvy computer users out there.

I'm not a professional web designer, I just did my own site and I tried to
do it from a user's point of view. As a user, I hate a lot of extraneous
graphics, blinking stuff, music or cute cursors. Most people don't like it.
I emphasize the products I'm selling by trying to have very good photos. My
site is plain vanilla and boring but it does what it's supposed to do which
is sell stuff. I have been tempted at times to jazz it up but have decided
to leave it alone. The last time I tried to make it fancy, I had webtv
users complaining that it wasn't working for them.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old February 5th 04, 02:38 AM
Rick K

I appreciate your additional comments.

I rather like the flourish at the top, but I have reduced its size. I
also eliminated most of the animated graphics, keeping them only at
the bottom of the page at the link for the next page and things.

I've used web forms and believe me I know how often people put down
their e-mail address incorrectly!
I fixed the e-mail graphic so that now people can click on it and it's
a link to send me e-mail -- using a combination of a few tricks so
that it can form a link without the e-mail appearing on the page at
all, so it's almost impossible to be harvested. I use the same
technique on almost all the pages on my web site.

BTW, I've changed the address of my miniatures web page slightly. It's
now at

http://LPHRC.org/rmk/Mini

Rick K
Malvern, PA
e-mail: rmkq at the domain above.

"Carol" wrote in message hlink.net...
[...]

web site suggestion Barbara Otterson Beads 38 March 18th 04 02:54 AM
Bead and jewelry site. Mary Ann Beads 6 October 20th 03 04:11 AM
Apology and New Web Site AD Kandice Seeber Beads 0 September 19th 03 05:47 PM
Change of auction handle/ID and Web Site Name CrystalLuv Beads 6 August 24th 03 05:36 AM