Long Tail Cast On - How much????

Old May 12th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Default Long Tail Cast On - How much????

I rarely use any other cast on. I like the edge it gives, and it's stretchy
enough to be stretchy (if you see what I mean) and firm enough not to
"undulate". But I guess it's horses for courses, as with so many other
things in yarncraft

Love & higs
Christine

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...

Really, really long? g Seriously, though, I wrap once around the
needle for every stitch, and add about another 6 inches. That seems
to work, even though it is a pain sometimes.

Higs,
Katherine

Heh, I haven't used this cast-on, and after watching the women in our
knitting group and reading the comments here, I don't think I'll even
bother. It sounds like a PITA.(grin). But, different strokes for diff
folks.

Shelagh

Old May 12th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Shillelagh wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...
Really, really long? g Seriously, though, I wrap once around the
needle for every stitch, and add about another 6 inches. That seems
to work, even though it is a pain sometimes.

Higs,
Katherine

Heh, I haven't used this cast-on, and after watching the women in our
knitting group and reading the comments here, I don't think I'll even
bother. It sounds like a PITA.(grin). But, different strokes for diff
folks.

I like it - it's only a pain if you're casting on more than about 150
stitches...

sue
Old May 12th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On May 12, 11:46 am, "Shillelagh" wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message

ups.com...

Really, really long? g Seriously, though, I wrap once around the
needle for every stitch, and add about another 6 inches. That seems
to work, even though it is a pain sometimes.

Higs,
Katherine

Heh, I haven't used this cast-on, and after watching the women in our
knitting group and reading the comments here, I don't think I'll even
bother. It sounds like a PITA.(grin). But, different strokes for diff
folks.

What cast on do you use, Shelagh?

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 12th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On May 11, 4:48 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
I am pretty good at estimating short rows of knitting when I cast on.
However, I am not doing a sweater is there a rule of thumb for the
long tail cast on?

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

Thanks for your help!

Padishar Creel

The "official" rule of thumb, which I have seen in more than one
knitting book and in a book of engineering and machining and more
standards, is "an inch a stitch."

Experience has taught me that this works for worsted yarn, with a cast-
on count of 20 to 150 stitches. But then, I do not measure the inches
exactly, just holding the yarn up to my person, extended fingertips to
just past the opposite shoulder for a yard. And if I rip out because
I didn't have enough and start over with just enough more yarn? I
always have a long bit left over!

Cece

Old May 13th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...

What cast on do you use, Shelagh?

Higs,
Katherine

Usually a cable cast on.

Shelagh

Old May 13th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On May 12, 10:48 pm, "Shillelagh" wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message

oups.com...

What cast on do you use, Shelagh?

Higs,
Katherine

Usually a cable cast on.

Ah, yes, that is a good one. For years, the only one I used was
a knitted cast on. That eliminated the need for measuring as well.

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 15th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

On May 13, 5:25 am, Katherine wrote:
On May 12, 10:48 pm, "Shillelagh" wrote:

"Katherine" wrote in message

roups.com...

What cast on do you use, Shelagh?

Higs,
Katherine

Usually a cable cast on.

Ah, yes, that is a good one. For years, the only one I used was
a knitted cast on. That eliminated the need for measuring as well.

Higs,
Katherine

-------------
Wow, I hadn't realized all the types of cast-on. I just knew of two
and I liked the looks of the long-tail cast on the best of those two
choices.

I understand that, according to the Lion Brand website, that there are
5 cast-ons that they mention.

the single-stitch cast-on,
the long-tail cast-on,
the cable cast-on,
the double-knitted cast-on and
the crochet edge cast-on.

As always, there is so much to learn and I guess that is why knitting
is so cool, eh?

Padishar Creel

Old May 15th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Padishar Creel wrote:
On May 13, 5:25 am, Katherine wrote:
On May 12, 10:48 pm, "Shillelagh" wrote:

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There's a blog site which lists 30 some ways of casting on -
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/20...ns-part-1.html
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/20...ns-part-2.html
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/20...used-cast.html
and a reference to sites where you can learn some of them -
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/20...eferences.html
Some of them are variations, but there's a reason to use different ones
for different effects.
She also has an entry on different bind offs too -
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/se...el/bind%20offs

sue
Old May 16th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

On May 15, 8:03 am, suzee wrote:
Padishar Creel wrote:
On May 13, 5:25 am, Katherine wrote:
On May 12, 10:48 pm, "Shillelagh" wrote:

egroups.com...

There's a blog site which lists 30 some ways of casting on -http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-1.htmlhttp://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-2.htmlhttp://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-favorite-and-most-often-...
and a reference to sites where you can learn some of them -http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/links-and-references.html
Some of them are variations, but there's a reason to use different ones
for different effects.
She also has an entry on different bind offs too -http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/search/label/bind%20offs

sue- Hide quoted text -

30!!!!! Wow so much to learn so little time...thanks for the links...

Padishar Creel

Thinking about using horse tail hair to make a belt. Have you done this before? Bricore Yarn 4 April 27th 07 01:05 PM
Thinking about using horse tail hair to make a belt. Have you done this before? Bricore Yarn 0 April 26th 07 06:31 PM
FS: 8 MACAW WING & TAIL FEATHERS FOR CRAFTS PROJECTS dreamspinner3 Marketplace 0 February 15th 07 04:24 PM
Horse's tail fp Knots 2 December 28th 06 07:38 PM
Removing Raised letters on Glass Tail lights Joe Glass 4 May 20th 04 12:49 AM