aurora borealis finish

Old April 21st 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default aurora borealis finish

I make polymer clay beads, and I would like to know if anyone out there
knows of a finish that is like the finish used on glass and plastic
beads, swarovski has this finish option for all the colors it makes. It
is a clear finish so that you can see the color of the bead, but when
you move the bead there is a rainbow like iridescent finish at
different times when the light hits it just right. I went to Michaels
and asked, but the person I talked to knows nothing about crafts at
all, so was no help. I have checked every polymer clay webstore I can
find, and found no such product, but if the companies that make the
glass and plastic beads have access, I don't see why I can't buy it!
When buying the beads with it it's called an AB- aurora borealis
finish. I don't know if they call it something else too. PLEASE if
anyone knows of a product like that let me know.

Old April 21st 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

If you add a little mica powder, especially one of the pearlescent
interference colors, to liquid translucent clay and apply it to the
beads, that will approximate an AB finish.

Go to Glassattic.com and look up mica powders.

Barbara

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.

Old April 27th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Thank you so much! I never thought of that, I am going to try it right
now! Do you think it would work if I mixed the powder with future?
Well, I guess I'll try both!

Old April 27th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

No, don't mix the powder with the future. Either apply it to the beads
(use a q-tip and go sparingly) then bake and apply Future or mix it with
the translucent liquid and paint it on.

check out http://www.glassattic.com and read the sections on mica
powders and finishes!

Good luck!