piggy bank

Old July 13th 03, 09:09 PM
Tasha Ruegsegger

Default piggy bank

Hello,

I've done almost all my work on the wheel before.. but now I want to make a
piggy bank.

Does anyone have some tips or some direction (such a an article, website, or
book) that could be useful in constructing a piggy bank?

Thanks..

-tasha

Old July 14th 03, 12:19 AM
Steve Mills

In article , Tasha Ruegsegger
writes
Hello,

I've done almost all my work on the wheel before.. but now I want to make a
piggy bank.

Does anyone have some tips or some direction (such a an article, website, or
book) that could be useful in constructing a piggy bank?

Thanks..

-tasha

Throw a small bottle. Longish neck, closed in at the end (=snout!). When
leather hard, attach ears, feet, and tail, and THEN cut the money slot.
Fire.
The trick for emptying is a dinner knife, don't put a stopper in its
belly.
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old July 14th 03, 07:48 PM
Eddie Daughton

Reason they is called piggy banks? emptying them with a dinner knife is a
PIG
Eddie
(a once poverty stricken 5 year old.....)
"annemarie" wrote in message

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
[...]

I was going to suggest the same method. My sister in law makes them like
this, but she gives them big ears to make them flying pigs!!

Old July 15th 03, 12:10 AM
Fiona Jarvis

I use the snout to hold the cork stopper. Exxagerate the ears and tail.
Make sure you allow for shrinkage when you cut the slot for the coins - I
made that mistake first time round!

Fiona

Old July 15th 03, 08:28 AM
A.

Why don't you just put some clay around a rubber air balloon and let it dry?

(might be a stupid idea from a rookie)
A.

Old July 15th 03, 03:07 PM
Clayslinger

I start all my beginner classes making piggy banks. 2 large (about 1lb for
both - split that in half) pinch pots stuck together to make the body, add
legs, face etc. and cut the hole when it is leather hard. ( I like the
little phtt it makes as the air escapes!). Takes time but is a great
beginner lesson. Incorporates pinch pots, adding bits, slab work (legs, ears
etc), texture, whatever your heart desires.
I've also done them on the wheel for a sale. Just throw a closed form, any
size or shape will do. I tend to go more round then tall and cyindrical.
Getting to the point where you can do a closed form is a task all in itself
=-)
Penni

Old July 15th 03, 06:12 PM
Tasha Ruegsegger

That would be too much handbuilding for my tastes! Maybe when I'm not
impatient and don't mind sitting down for hours throwing one piece I'll move
to that

-tasha

Old July 15th 03, 10:18 PM
annemarie

"Clayslinger" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I start all my beginner classes making piggy banks. 2 large (about 1lb for
both - split that in half) pinch pots stuck together to make the body, add
legs, face etc. and cut the hole when it is leather hard. ( I like the
little phtt it makes as the air escapes!). Takes time but is a great
beginner lesson. Incorporates pinch pots, adding bits, slab work (legs,

ears
etc), texture, whatever your heart desires.
I've also done them on the wheel for a sale. Just throw a closed form, any
size or shape will do. I tend to go more round then tall and cyindrical.
Getting to the point where you can do a closed form is a task all in

itself
=-)
Penni

I might use that idea for my classes. I try to give several options for the
first class, but always pinch pots.
Thanks

Old July 16th 03, 02:40 AM
Clayslinger

I might use that idea for my classes. I try to give several options for

the
first class, but always pinch pots.
Thanks

You're welcome. Any ideas you can pass my way I would be more then happy to
shoplift (so to speak)
Penni

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penni Stoddart
of Penelope's Pots
Full Time Education Assistant,
Part Time Potter

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing!

Old July 16th 03, 07:28 AM
annemarie

"Clayslinger" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

I might use that idea for my classes. I try to give several options for

the
first class, but always pinch pots.
Thanks

You're welcome. Any ideas you can pass my way I would be more then happy

shoplift (so to speak)
Penni

I do pinch pots first class but I have a few samples and pictures of
different things that people can try to do. Little decorative teapots,
animals, bowls, orbs/balls for garden, fruit, birds those are the sort of
thing that people have been making. Some people come up with great original
ideas, one time someone made a wonderful mortar and pestle, another sculpted
a head from pinch pots.
After pinch pots I go on to do, slab, coil, wheel,
Annemarie

why i hate e-bay Michele Blank Glass 41 August 28th 04 12:36 AM
Story - And this little piggy went wee, wee, wee Diana Curtis Beads 2 November 23rd 03 02:55 AM