OT Truly Ticked

Old January 6th 05, 05:57 PM
NanaV

Default OT Truly Ticked

Okay - so since we had this great storm and work was called off, I figured
I'd take the time I had been gifted with and, instead of resting up for my
treatment next week, I'd get in touch with my Dad's agency nurse (since he's
home now on a breathing machine and oxygen) and get some questions answered.
I called the agency and left a message. No call. I called a second time,
got her co-worker, explained what I needed to know as asked if she'd call me
back. Nurse Co-worker said she was in today and seeing patients and she
would page her and have her call me. No call. My Mom called and said the
nurse called her to tell her she'd be 30 minutes late. I called the nurses
office again and was told she had gotten the message but they would page her
again. I explained I really needed an answer to my questions since they
concerned equipment issues that I could only take care of. I asked if the
Co-worker would write down the questions so when the nurse called she could
rely them to her and then the nurse only needed to call me with a couple of
yes/no answers. No call. I decided I'd be better off speaking to nurse in
person. So....seeing I don't drive, I walked a half-mile through the cold
sleet over the ice (on crutches no less) to my parents'. The nurse showed
up 90 minutes late and said she had no idea where the time went. She didn't
have her glasses (forgot them somewhere, she said) so, when she took Dad's
blood pressure I had to read the numbers out to her. She said he was "fine"
but "his heart rate was irregular" and he "is wheezing". I asked what I
wanted to know (whether or not tens socks would help with his feet which are
very swollen) and she replied they might or might not. I asked if they were
worth trying and she replied they might be but she didn't know. She said he
should try to walk more and stay off his feet (????????). I asked if it
would be helpful to affix his oxygen tank to the walker so he could use it
when he walked which left him out of breath. She said it might be okay.
So, seeing as I had my questions answered and she was leaving (and I had to
get home to cook dinner so I can bring it over to them tonight when my DH
gets home), I figured I'd leave too. When we got outside I asked how she
felt he was doing. She replied "For such a sick man, he's very healthy."

And for this he had to sign a waiver (according to HIPPA) so I could get
info from the nurse.

Just venting....and planning to call the agency in my "free" time.

Nana

Old January 6th 05, 08:39 PM
Joanna

Don't blame I would be ticked too. In fact I would have been on the
phone demanding to speak to her boss. Probably screaming at the top of
my lungs. Which doesn't always get you anything good. But I feel for
you. Stick with it.
Take Care
Joanna

NanaV wrote:

[...]

Remove Quilt to reply

Old January 7th 05, 12:56 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Sorry, NanaV, I don't like the sounds of the answers the nurse gave you.
Maybe call your father's doctor for better answers. Most nurses are as
knowledgeable as doctors about some things, but not everything. Her failure
to call you shows a real lack of communication in her company. If possible,
maybe you and your parents can look elsewhere for the care your father
needs.

I know what you mean about the HIPPA laws, I work in the business office of
a hospital, and we have a devil of a time with the fact that we cannot give
billing info to *anyone,* even a husband or wife, unless the patient has
specifically agreed that we can do so. The only exception is minor
children, we can give the information to the custodial parent(s). What was
supposed to make healthcare information more private has made things tougher
for a lot of people. Get your dad's signature on a release that says you
are privileged to any and all information regarding his medical care and
medical billing information. Carry copies with you wherever you go. It
works like a charm. Our hospital makes those forms freely available to
patients, so that family members can be part of the process if the patient
desires. My mother signed one for me, and I keep copies in my file cabinet,
in my purse, and at my office so that I am prepared no matter what happens.

In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone to get that form filled out
and signed ahead of time, so they can share in the medical care of a loved
one.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old January 7th 05, 03:42 AM
Polly Esther

It's "Gator Time". Send that nurse to the Swamp. Butterfly keeps them
well-fed but there's always room for one more. I read your post with just
such "I can't believe it". Bless your heart, so very sorry you have such
insanity to contend with. Polly

Old January 7th 05, 04:01 AM
Butterfly

SEND her down to Polly!
I got a superb vampire today : ) She remembered me from when they brought me
in in a wheelchair from the Drs office--last July when I was too weak to
walk. She was sssssssssssooooooooooooooo gentle : )
Gators are gonna need feeding : )
Butterfly

ink.net...

Old January 7th 05, 02:29 PM
Polly Esther

That breaks my heart too. I'll come and get the lab klutz and rub him well
with chicken fat. Hug that little dd for us. Polly

"Jan" wrote in message
. net...
Do the gators handle other bad medical personal? Or does Buttefly's keep
them fed? A lab tec left a heck of a bruise on dd's arm Monday... she's
not quite three so it breaks my heart.

Jan

"Butterfly" wrote in
:

Old January 7th 05, 03:05 PM
taria

When I was a kid I almost passed out from a bad tech trying to
get blood. Make sure you let whoever is taking her blood know
she has trouble and question how good they are. I have found
I get the really good tech when I suggest I may pass out if
they aren't any good! Hugs to your sweetie.
Taria

Jan wrote:

Thanks Polly!

Jan

"Polly Esther" wrote in
. net:

That breaks my heart too. I'll come and get the lab klutz and rub him
well with chicken fat. Hug that little dd for us. Polly

k.net...

Old January 7th 05, 10:12 PM
Kate Dicey

taria wrote:

When I was a kid I almost passed out from a bad tech trying to
get blood. Make sure you let whoever is taking her blood know
she has trouble and question how good they are. I have found
I get the really good tech when I suggest I may pass out if
they aren't any good! Hugs to your sweetie.
Taria

Last time I had blood taken at the hospital was very strange... The
nurse/vampire who did it was excellent. I warned her about my veins
doing a disappearing act as soon as I see a needle, but she hit the
right vein first time with no pain and got plenty of blood in her 3
little files... When she slid it out (again with great competence - she
does this up to 100 times a day on a busy day!), it hurt like hell!
Surprised the both of us as I've never had that, even with the new
midwife who pulled a line out like she was uprooting tree stumps! Bled
like crazy too. We were both very puzzled, and could find no reason.
Oddly enough, that one didn't bruise, where most of them do with me,
however careful and well practiced the vampire is. So sometimes it is
NOT the vampire's fault.

GOOD vampires have trouble with me normally. Bad ones haven't a hope in
hell! Even the ER vampire has failed at times, and they can usually get
flowing blood out of anything not already screwed into a box.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk