Where is everyone?

Old January 31st 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Default Where is everyone?

I'm only getting 5 or 6 messages per day the last few days. Has everyone
gone someplace else?

Donna in Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5832 (20110130) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old January 31st 11, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

I've been wondering the same thing! The board's been really quiet.

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old January 31st 11, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'm here with you guys. I peek in once in awhile during the day but not a
lot going on. I have some photo links I'll try to share here tomorrow.
Is the weather the problem? Everyone got biten by the bug that got me?
Taria

Old January 31st 11, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

We have had the flu here, yes even in summer.
DD had a few friends over on Saturday night for her 21st birthday ( on
Sunday).
House renos have started again, so far half a wall and the chimmney have
come out. Rebuild and extend the carport and add a new roof and new side
fence to follow and then update the laundry and bathroom (we only have one
bathroom so that will be fun.

Dee in Oz

Old February 1st 11, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I've been a bit fluish as well.

I've also been a bit stupid.
I totally was suckered by a lass that needed buttons for some
re-enactment clothes.
Being under the impression that she was more than a bit of a newbie and
had but one outfit that needed them, I agreed to make her some Dorset
buttons for $5 a dozen, and Deathshead buttons for $10. That is very
cheap for those buttons and I told her that after the first lot of each
they would cost more. She got me to agree that the first lot meant the
clothes she needed them for right now. What she did not tell me was that
the clothes she needed them for right now included not just her outfit,
but her husband's, and their three children's. From the skin out.
That is about a bazillion buttons.

You can bet I am going to be a bit hard on her cashwise after this little
event!
She doesn't sew, she'll be back.
There is not an endless list of people that can do this sort of sewing.

* Dorset buttons are buttons made entirely of thread, they are usually
used on underthings and nightclothes.
Deathshead buttons are also thread buttons, but made on a wooden form and
generally a bit fancier looking. Used on outer clothes.

NightMist

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:00:19 -0800, Sandy wrote:

In article ,
"Dee in Oz" wrote:

We have had the flu here, yes even in summer. DD had a few friends over
on Saturday night for her 21st birthday ( on Sunday).
House renos have started again, so far half a wall and the chimmney
have come out. Rebuild and extend the carport and add a new roof and
new side fence to follow and then update the laundry and bathroom (we
only have one bathroom so that will be fun.

Dee in Oz

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
I'm only getting 5 or 6 messages per day the last few days. Has
everyone gone someplace else?

Donna in Idaho

I've been away for about a week, so in my case the answer to Donna's
question was "yes"! G I went to Phoenix for Quilting in the Desert and
to visit with my quilting buddy who lives there. We had such a good
time! I took a very good class on Tuesday (my other class had to be
canceled), followed by our two-person shop hop on Wednesday to several
LQS's on the east side of the valley. Thursday we went to the expo and
did some computer stuff (we both use Macs G), as well as going to a
play in the evening. Friday we had our own "class", working on wool
appliqué and then went to the show and tell at QITD in the evening.
Busy, busy!

Now I have several projects to work on again/still, but the most
important will be getting the binding, label and hanging sleeve on my
monster-sized Winding Ways quilt before time to turn it in for our show.

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old February 1st 11, 10:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

And do we get to see photos when you are done ?

They sound spectacular.

Dee in Oz

Old February 2nd 11, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

They aren't all that!

I went looking for pics online and was perfectly scandalized by what I
found for Dorset buttons. Cheater versions every last one of them so far!
They all use a ring form to make the job easier. I use a stick that I
wrap the thread around to make a ring, and then buttonhole the ring.
Currently I am using the ring mandrel from DH's jewelry making tools, so
I can get the right size easily. The whole point of the things is they
are soft and durable, making them on a plastic ring kind of defeats the
purpose. Who would want a plastic or metal button on their undies?
Anyway they are just a buttonholed ring with threads run across it in a
star pattern so you can sew them down.

Death's heads I found:

http://www.woodedhamlet.com/howto_ad...ad_instruc.htm

They are more or less a wooden circle with a sort of god's eye worked
over them. Not all that, but fancier looking than the dorset buttons.

I've never had a problem making either sort more ornamental by using lace
or embroidery stitches. But not for this job!

NightMist

Old February 3rd 11, 10:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 31/01/11 00:09, Donna in Idaho wrote:
I'm only getting 5 or 6 messages per day the last few days. Has everyone
gone someplace else?

Just busy doing stuff, mostly not quilty. I am hoping to have a bit
more quilting time as DS2 & I are now back from hospital where he has
had his ears pinned back. Now he has to have 2 weeks off school. I
just hope it all looks good when he has the bandage off next week.

Lizzy
Old February 3rd 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jan 30, 7:09*pm, "Donna in Idaho" wrote:

Where is everyone?

Shovelling shhhhhhhnow.
Old February 5th 11, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

Doc!
Now you know why I moved out west!!! Keep warm!

amy in SoCal