Do SOMETHING new

Old January 5th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default Do SOMETHING new

From one whose DH had both knees replaced at the same time; KEEP DOING PT on
your own long after you're done with the PT'ers. It may save you more
surgery, pain, etc down the road.
I'm tickled you're doing so well.

Butterfly (got DH a bike for home -outdoor use--and he put quite a few miles
on it the first year)

"John" wrote in message
On Jan 4, 11:51 am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
It is good to have you back with us, John. Are you being very nice to your
DW? Polly

"Taria" wrote in message

I actually don't mind doing curtains. I wouldn't want to do them all
day, every day, but occasionally they are a nice break for me, from
all those little fiddly bits we all love to put together. Yes! Those
great swaths of fabric, flying through the machine. The horror!!
Discovering that you need to rip out a 6' seam, Ah yes, Curtains. Do
Have fun.
John

I enjoy doing home dec stuff including curtains and blinds too. Ever
since Leslie was going to do them she has been pretty scarce around
here. Maybe she got caught up in all those yards of fabric?

Nice to see you back here after your medical dealings John. Hope
things are all healing well.
Taria

Of course I am. Why would I not be nice to the best nurse a fella
could have? She has been a real trouper and I am going to take her for
a nice vacation as soon as this thing settles down into a normal
state. But then I did the same thing for her when she had a knee
operation much like this one, so I guess it is pay back time. Good to
be back in the land of the living.
John

Old January 5th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default guitar Do SOMETHING new

Howdy!

Guitar: what are you getting this time, John?

Here we are in the parlor:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c192r.jpg

[I had to borrow the dress for the picture, don't own one for myself
(don't have to, can't make me)].
Ah, what a time we have... .

Ragmop/Sandy - w/ several Hawaiian shirts (made in Hawaii, the tags say
so!); husband here pulls out the Dobro to sound Hawaiian

On 1/4/11 6:52 AM, in article
, "John"
wrote:

I have been recuperating from the Arthroscopic surgery, on my trick
knee, and not doing any quilting, so my mind has been wandering,
filled with ideas for things to do. One of the ideas was to find a new
guitar. I have a list of guitar shops I have dealt with over the
years, and I found and ordered myself a new Guitar. I have a couple of
other guitars of various types around the old homestead, but I wanted
one of a particular type that is suited to finger style playing rather
than the larger ones that would be played with a Pick. I have been
dealing with this company called Elderly Instruments for years now,
and I happened to be rummaging through their website, and came across
just the thing. It is as recreation of the late 19th century parlor
guitar, which is smaller bodied than the average type of guitar that
is played today. Last year I bought a Hawaiian style acoustic guitar
from them, which is called a "Weissenborn", so named, after the man
who made them, which were popular during the first part of the 20th
century, and played on your lap. Great fun when you play it wearing a
loud Hawaiian shirt, and drink from a glass with a small umbrella
standing in it. So I have had good luck dealing over the internet with
these folks, and the new guitar is winging it's way to me as I type,
carefully being handled by the men in Brown. I can't wait.

So Aloha and happy new year

John

Old January 6th 11, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
[...]

I found a 000 size rosewood acoustic with a spruce top, all solid wood
construction with traditional joinery, and a 12 Fret neck, that is a
spitting image of the long ago pre-war Martin that I had for years and
irresponsibly sold for lots of money and almost immediately
regretted. While this one is from the land of rice/and our foreign
debt, it is an almost exact copy and the sound is probably one of the
best sounding guitars that I have owned.(I have owned many, over the
years, (probably close to 100). I know we often bemoan the off-shoring
of our products that we buy, but I could not have found the same
guitar for anywhere near the price, of $1000, for less than 5-$10,000
by Martin or any other custom maker here in the US. This guitar is one
of the things that show that the Chinese are eating our lunch, when it
comes to musical instruments of a certain quality. I would have loved
to have bought the Guitar that I sold, way back when, but it would
have cost me about $25,000, "If" I could have found one of the same
age and style and type and condition. I know that a lot of people
might not understand or appreciate, those sorts of costs for a musical
instrument, but if they are in your blood, then, really, price is
relative to what you can pay. I am extremely happy with this "girl",
and when I played it after tuning it up, My wife came in and said it
sounds so good to hear me playing this type of playing again. I played
it for about 4 hours straight, until my fingers started to hurt, and
put it away in a safe place, and went down to the basement to build a
stand to hold all three guitars, in their cases, right outside my
sewing room door. Thereby allowing me to grab one when the muse hits
me, and get lost again in the wonders of Ragtime guitar playing,
Hawaiian music, or Gut Bucket blues, as the spirit, directs. Life is
getting better with age.
John
Old January 6th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

What brand of sewing machine is that? I'm thinking it's not a Singer,
but I can't read the plate.
Roberta in D

Old January 6th 11, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Dec 31 2010, 11:38*pm, "Polly Esther"
wrote:
I guess I'm getting too many *peculiar offers in the spam trash I'm letting
through and not suggesting that you get a university degree by mail or send
the balance in your savings account to some prince in Ballawongabanga. *What
I'm wanting you to do in our Happy New Year is DO something you've always
wanted to do or at least try.
* * No bungee jumping. *No spelunking ( is that the word for diving in a
cave?)
* * No resolutions to lose 500 pounds, quit chewing your toenails or love
your sister-in-law.
* * Have you ever yearned to create a Baltimore Album? *do curves? *conquer
paper-piecing or abandon squares/triangles and go 'artsy/crazy' just once?
* * I think I'll do a miniature. *Always wanted to give it a try. *( Pat on
her Green will faint dead-away.)
* * What have you always wanted to do but put it off? *If you want to ride a
mule down into the Grand Canyon or have a shot at a fine Lone Star in colors
'you' love, let's go for it. *Happy New Year. *Let's just wallow in the
opportunities. *Polly .... off to find my lighted magnifying glass

I'll second this. There were a lot of things we'd always planned to
do but put off, and now *can't* do.

You don't FIND time - you MAKE time.

Best wishes to all,

Doc
Old January 6th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jan 1, 9:36*am, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
Polly, I was at the Grand Canyon a few years ago and decided to ride the
mules to the bottom and found out our party of 4 had to have made
reservations 2 years in advance. *So THAT is one of the more difficult
things to do!
Barbara in FL

That depends on when you go. During peak season, it doesn't surprise
me. We did get to see the Canyon, even though I couldn't take the
mule ride - but most of the mules were just milling about (off-
season). It was also nice having our chosen overlook all to ourselves
for two hours while the sun came up.

Doc
Old January 6th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jan 1, 10:48*pm, amy in SoCal wrote:
I don't make resolutions, either. I do want to do a proper crazy
quilt, with velvets, satins, embroidery, etc.
I joined a Yahoo group for it and the girls are very creative and
helpful.

I was involved in those groups for a while. Great groups, even if a
little rigid in some of their thinking (so what?)

I do also want to get my quilt business in gear.
Not sure if I want to open a shop or supply shops with finished
products. Still contemplating that idea.

Do your homework. Back in the 80s/early 90s, there were 7 model RR
shops here - thanks to the internet, now there are none. Used to be
many game shops as well; we still have a couple, but that's it - down
from (again) around 7. There are about 7 quilt-related places here
now. Hope they stay, but you can tell from the traffic here that
commerce is shifting toward online shopping as well. Good luck.

Doc
Old January 6th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

I won't have a computer so I won't be able to post until some
time in April.

Two words: Public Library

Also, if you happen to be staying in one of the many planned
communities, they usually have other kinds of access - ask!

On Jan 2, 3:12*pm, (Twila) wrote:
My something new for this year will be to quit lurking and become a part
of this group! I did post once a long time ago but *never followed
through. We're going to Arizona next week for the remainder of the
winter. I won't have a computer so I won't be able to post until some
time in April. *As far as quilting is concerned I am a "newbie" so my
something new is to make a quilt that has horses on it for a
grandaughter. I have not chosen any pattern for it yet however I am
certain it will come out of one of those magazines that has a title that
begins with *"Simple", "Quick" or "Easy".

Our (Old) Web Page-"An Alaskan Family"

Old January 6th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jan 5, 6:32*pm, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

Guitar: what are you getting this time, John?

We've resolved to take up pickin' agin' soon. I stopped many years
ago when I shattered my left (fretting) index fingertip with a
hammer. Missed it ever since. An old buddy has been goading me, and
DW has mentioned she misses her banjo too. There was a time we used
to get 10-12 pickers into our old Victorian parlor, or a small group
on the acoustic front porch for the neighborhood. D-28 & Gold Star
Screaming Duck (Flying Eagle).

Doc (not Watson)
Old January 7th 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jan 6, 12:27*pm, "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:
On Jan 5, 6:32*pm, Sandy E wrote:

Howdy!

Guitar: what are you getting this time, John?

We've resolved to take up pickin' agin' soon. *I stopped many years
ago when I shattered my left (fretting) index fingertip with a
hammer. *Missed it ever since. *An old buddy has been goading me, and
DW has mentioned she misses her banjo too. *There was a time we used
to get 10-12 pickers into our old Victorian parlor, or a small group
on the acoustic front porch for the neighborhood. *D-28 & Gold Star
Screaming Duck (Flying Eagle).

Doc (not Watson)

I thought my playing days were over when I nicked my left index and
left middle finger in a table saw. But with a really good Orthopedic
surgeon, who is also doing my knee, he was able to save enough of the
index to not have to remove any of the bone. I started playing slide
guitar which uses either a glass finger slide or metal slide and
thereby worked around the fingering that is done with the left hand.
After awhile of that I wanted to see if I could still finger the
guitar like a standard playing style would do. So after practicing
with the National Reso-phonic in a standard tuning and finding that I
could still hit all those sweet notes, It drove me to look for a
dedicated finger style guitar, and lo and behold, I found one. It is
so good to get back into the groove again, and I would encourage
anybody who used to play, no matter how badly, to look for a
instrument and give it another go. All those tunes come back and you
can amaze your friends with tales of your misspent youth, in search of
musical perfection. There is something about playing an instrument,
any instrument, that is very satisfying. That is what you did before I-
pods, and you ere the life of the party.

John