Julie has done it again!!!

Old February 20th 04, 12:23 AM
Kandice Seeber

Yes, yes, yes - a million times yes.
For instance - on another forum (not here and not WC, but some of you might
know which one) they were discussing a set that sold for a lot on ebay, and
one person commented asking what idiot would pay such and such for that.
Someone else said that no strand of glass beads is worth that amount of
money. They were talking about a very well done set made by a very talented
artist who does pretty well on ebay, but who isn't by any means famous. The
group where this was posted has over 1000 members and is read by quite a few
lampwork artists. I was appalled by the disrespect. Just today over at WC
there are several threads naming names and talking negatively about artists
who may or may not frequent the group. I mean, come on. There are ways to
give your opinion without putting down the work of your peers AND putting
down the customers who buy that work. It's all about being professional.
I'm all about constructive criticism. If I think something is wrong with
someone's stuff, and that they would benefit from hearing it, I will say
something, and try to say it in such a way as to not hurt that person. But
blanket statements such as "what idiot would pay $500 for a strand of glass
beads" and then posting a link to an artist's very well done work - that
really steams me but good.
If you don't like the beads - say so. Several people here were able to
express their opinion that they didn't care for the beads posted, but in a
tactful, professional way that didn't trash the beadmaker or their
customers.
Of course, I know not all here are in business and don't really need to
worry about how they look to others. I mainly am talking about people who
are in business, in this field (beads, jewelry, etc.) and do their marketing
in these forums.
Oh, please, someone stop me. For heaven's sake, what has gotten into me
lately???

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Kandice, forever and ever (ok, maybe not that long, but
close) I have wondered about this whole talking-about-
others-like-they-weren't-here stuff. In fact, shortly
after you posted your tips and tricks for Ebay success on
WC! I really wanted to add to that post, but then I got
sidetracked and eventually forgot about it.

Of course, until it's brought up again.

This is a big issue that I think is important to address:
overall attitude and presence in the industry - aka
Professionalism. It DOES affect sales.

I often read things posted here, on WC, and on other boards
and web sites that make me wonder, are people really not
aware that their on-line behavior can and does affect their
business? I mean it has to, how can it not? Even more so
when business is conducted on-line. Rants about customers
are particularly bothersome, and ridiculing fellow artists
just makes me sad.

My intention is not to offend anyone, but every time I read
one of those posts I think to myself, OMG! Hint: WC! and
rcb ARE public forums! Just because people don't post
doesn't mean they're not there... reading, watching, making
lists of who's naughty and nice.

I perfectly understand wanting to vent when things go less
than OK, believe me! But talking about customers and/or
fellow bead makers in a public forum? I think that affects
not only the person's image and sales, but also the
industry as a whole.

Thanks Kandice, for bringing it up.

Fran

In article ,
says...
Okay - you guys have to stop. What if Julie reads this group? Come on

now -
saying that Julie's customers are dumb for paying a high price for her
lampwork is insulting. Even if you are kidding - a lot of people read

this
group and she could be one of them. Put yourself in her shoes. She has
plenty of customers who are obviously collecting her work because they

love
it. Let's not diminish that, please.
There are a lot of reasons why she gets decent prices. I am honestly

really
tired of people putting down other beadmakers for being successful on

ebay.
This has happened in two other groups I read just in the last few days -
people asking why people are stupid enough to pay a certain amount of

money
for lampwork that clearly deserves every penny. This type of thing

makes me
want to scream.

And Cheryl - no one on Justbeads is getting prices like that, because

there
just aren't as many buyers there as there are on ebay. Your beads have

decidedly different look to them. If you want to know the truth - I

think
you could benefit from changing your pictures. Honestly, I think that

may
be a very big reason why your beads don't get the high prices they

deserve.
I'm not saying that to be mean - I am saying to to try and help, and

because
you asked. Your beads are wonderful - but your pictures are not.

****sigh**** Why do I always have to be the voice of dissent? Am I

wrong
in all this? Please tell me and put me out of my misery.

Old February 20th 04, 12:29 AM
BeckiBead

there is also
someone who sells crystal products on JB's who has a seriously high feedback
rating and yet is charging exorbitant prices.

And, I seriously hate this bitch. LOL. Have for years. I hate watching
people get ripped off. K
Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old February 20th 04, 12:30 AM
Deborah

Hi,

I agree with Kandice completely. I wonder why folks get the nasties and then
feel compelled to post in Usenet. Besides being rude, it's a bit strange to
witness. I wonder what the heck they're thinking. And then again, I get so
tired of seeing people bash someone else - it makes life ugly. Admittedly,
there are great venues for debate and venting, but slamming someone in a
public forum is not the best choice.

I would be hurt and angry to see my work being talked about this way. I'd
get over it ~really fast~, but it would still bother me.

I've said this before in this group - it's good when people are able to sell
their beads and jewelry for great prices. It's good for everyone who creates
art. While you may not benefit today from someone's outstanding selling
price, at some point you will.

It would seem that learning from another's success would be more fruitful
than denigrating their success. Being a little kinder wouldn't hurt either..

But what the hell do I know

All the best,

Deborah

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
[...]

just aren't as many buyers there as there are on ebay. Your beads have a
decidedly different look to them. If you want to know the truth - I think
you could benefit from changing your pictures. Honestly, I think that may
be a very big reason why your beads don't get the high prices they

deserve.
I'm not saying that to be mean - I am saying to to try and help, and

because
you asked. Your beads are wonderful - but your pictures are not.

****sigh**** Why do I always have to be the voice of dissent? Am I wrong
in all this? Please tell me and put me out of my misery.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
http://www.lampwork.net

Please let me know is dumb enough to pay $72 for this bead and I will

try
and get in touch with them since I have some beads and Jewelry they can

buy.
LOL
Roxan

http://snipurl.com/4lav

Wow.

sorry- I don't get it - why is she getting so much for these beads????

I don't get that for mine - and mine are just as nice
pout.....

Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!
A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old February 20th 04, 12:31 AM
DreamBeadr

Are you talking about the one who has about 3,000 auctions going?

I don't know Margie. One of my employees found her and showed me just a couple
of her auctions. I was pretty amazed.
Reasoning would tell me that it couldn't last for long, because once someone
became educated, they wouldn't go back...but with a feedback rating "that"
high....go figure.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old February 20th 04, 12:34 AM
Kandice Seeber

And to me, this is different. She's selling mass-produced Swarovskis that
have a set known general value, and not art. Plus, she seems to be selling
them at a too-high rate. Art beads are hard to place a set value on - the
market decides the price. So we're doing the buying public a favor by
talking about her on the newsgroups.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 20th 04, 12:36 AM
BeckiBead

For heaven's sake, what has gotten into me
lately???

You have a bad case of over-kindness. I hope it goes away quickly and we can
hurting someone's feelings, and sometimes when the beads are bad enough? It
just needs to be said. Would you rather they heard it face-to-face at a bead
show, where you know others are listening? When I did shows, I heard it all.
Grows some backbone on you, it does.

Old February 20th 04, 12:39 AM
starlia

Kandice - That's so funny because I was showing the wildflower set to the
librarian that asked me about all the flower books I had checked out. I
told her where I sold and she asked if someone would actually pay for those.
I told her that I hoped so, but not everyone is the same.

I purchase quite a bit of art, but I would never say anything about what
"idiot" would spend that much money. I know for one that many artists are
themselves shocked at the prices some of their work makes. It's a good
surprise, but still a surprise.

Old February 20th 04, 12:57 AM
Margie

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:48:52 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

Is the one you're referring to related to a Christmas spice? If so, some of
the problem is that other family members are also making beads -- many of
which are not very artistic.

No Tina, I was referring to a seller of crystal, not art beads. I
have my favorites there and in my mind they are all good.

BTW, if I gave it some thought I probably know who *you* are referring
to...

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old February 20th 04, 01:00 AM
DreamBeadr

And, I seriously hate this bitch.

Well, yeah but, tell us how you really feel Becki. =o)

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old February 20th 04, 01:05 AM
DreamBeadr

So we're doing the buying public a favor by
talking about her on the newsgroups.

Maybe.
There is that old adage of buyer beware.
I guess because I was raised to be frugal, I assume the rest of the planet is
too. Big error in reality on my part, I know. =o\

I think because I am a vendor, its just not "proper" for me to talk about other
vendors in a less than good light.
The more I thought about my post from earlier today, the more I felt I should
have kept my mouth shut. Whether I tried to not sound snarky or not, I did
sound snarky.
I am sorry about that.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com