Julie has done it again!!!

Old February 23rd 04, 11:27 PM
Kalera Stratton

Well, you know how "fans" can be. I saw a chick riding a bike yesterday,
and it was PLASTERED with Britney Spears images cut out from
magazines... the spokes, the nadlebars, even her HAT. EEEEEK!

-Kalera

Tinkster wrote:

Touchy, touchy...

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:53:33 GMT, TheHotterTheBetter
wrote:

"his own emerging glassblowing talent cut short"? You might want to
check your facts before condescending to Chihuly. Before he lost the
eye, he'd won a Fullbright to blow glass at Venini, founded and taught
at RISD's glass program, co-founded Pilchuck, and been awarded an NEA
artist grant for his glass work. That's pretty emerged, as emerged goes.
Yes, he's a brilliant marketer, but he was also a very fine glassblower.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:30 PM
Kalera Stratton

Cheryl, those pictures are SO much better! Wow! Also, your "pile"
clearly needs to be heavily edited... those are beautiful!

I think the pale purple actually works best of the ones you have up, but
I would suggest light grey- it's very neutral and will help the colors
of your work show true.

-Kalera

Cheryl wrote:

OK -- I hear you all......
on your comments about my beads...

"They are not detailed and highlighted in anyway that show them to their best
advantage...at least based on what Sooz has to say."

and the comments about better pics.
I know even THESE are not perfect -- but I realized my video camera will take
still pics.... so I tried three different backgrounds. One "off white", one
pale purple, and one teal.... with a set of six beads.
None of these have ever been listed before - so I put them on my webpage.
And Sooz - three of these were in my "pile" -ok -- y'all can stop laughing at
me now....
maybe you are right...
take a gander at the first SIX photos on this page - and tell me if these are
BETTER presentation - and if they are duds.. or winners....

http://www.dragonbeads.com/unique.html

Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!
A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old February 24th 04, 02:18 AM
Kandice Seeber

Light beads will look good on black backgrounds usually. I would use solid
black or solid white.

I know what you mean about having to go from camera to computer to
software - it is a pain, but so worth it when your beads sell for a decent
price. At least, it is for me.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Oh, hey - that's much better! I wouldn't use the dark green background,
because it washes out the color in the bead

when I put it on the off white background - the bead disappeared except

the
spots... LOL

I would also not use the black and white
checkered background

experiment gone bad! LOL...

But soooooo much better than the
scanned images!

yes -- I agree - takes me twice as long to get them - and I have to go

from
camera to computer, to Adobe, to final copy .... then upload.... whew.

OK - SOOZ was right -- guess which bead sold first........ yup....

one of the ones I didn't want to try to sell, because it didn't come out

the
way I wanted...
OK you guys win... LOL
I will repeat this daily "I will not toss beads, I will not give them to
children, I will post them and they will come... "

Old February 26th 04, 07:57 PM
Alison

With all due respect, Tina, I would agree if it weren't for the "(ahem)"s.
They struck a great blow to the effectiveness and tone of what she wrote,
IMO.

Alison

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
I didn't hear any condescension. I heard admiration for different aspects
of his work, regret that he lost an eye, and a statement that she prefers
different artists.

Tina

"TheHotterTheBetter" wrote in message
Kalera Stratton wrote:

The marketing thing is huge... Tink has excellent marketing skills,

and
so does Kandice. I'm working on mine. Superb pictures are vital. But
most of all, a little PR goes a long way... look at Dale Chihuly. Some
may know I'm not particularly impressed by his work, but last year

when
I was saying so, someone pointed out that even if I'm no admirer of

his
"designs" (ahem), I have to admit the man is brilliant... with his own
emerging glassblowing talent cut short when he lost his depth
perception, he has gone on to make a name and a fortune for himself
directing others to carry out his (ahem) inner vision. THAT takes
brains, and a certain kind of talent, even if it's not in his
glassblowing skills per se. Um, also, he pushes paint around on canvas
with a broom for five minutes and sells the result for $85,000. IF

ONLY
I HAD THOUGHT OF IT FIRST!

"his own emerging glassblowing talent cut short"? You might want to
check your facts before condescending to Chihuly. Before he lost the
eye, he'd won a Fullbright to blow glass at Venini, founded and taught
at RISD's glass program, co-founded Pilchuck, and been awarded an NEA
artist grant for his glass work. That's pretty emerged, as emerged goes.
Yes, he's a brilliant marketer, but he was also a very fine glassblower.

-Furnace chick, relurking

Old February 26th 04, 08:17 PM
Alison

Cheryl, would you REALLY have to beg??? Or, do you just hate asking? If
it's the latter, bite the bullet and ask!

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Maybe I can beg my dad to loan me his digital camera for a day or two -

and see
if I can get better results....

Old February 27th 04, 04:53 PM
Kalera Stratton

That's because I don't like his art, and I was trying to convey that
fact while admitting that I admire his business acumen. I also don't
care much for him as a human being; he isn't very nice to anyone he
considers "below" him, but I try not to let that color my opinion of his
work... I just don't like it for what it is, even while I appreciate the
scope and sheer size of his projects.

I should be more clear; I don't like his art from the last decade. I
have really enjoyed some of his earlier work, when he was still blowing
and not "designing", which, FYI, usually takes the form of a few lines
slapped on a piece pf paper and handed to his team foreman to interpret.

Furthermore, you can berate me to your heart's content, but it won't
change my aesthetic.

-Kalera