Organic fabric source needed

Old August 27th 03, 06:25 PM
LucyD

Default Organic fabric source needed

Anyone know where in the UK or Europe I can source organic fabrics
suitable for cushion making? I have only found a couple of places so
far, both expensive. Any ideas much appreciated.

Lucy
Old August 27th 03, 10:15 PM
Emilia

Do you mean she won't find it cheap?
Organic as in "had no pesticides used on the cotton" does exsist.

"Charlie" wrote in
:

Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides used
on the cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the
first type, unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.

Charlie.

m...

Old August 27th 03, 10:18 PM
Charlie

Really? Mad. They must use chemicals in it sometime. Or else it will be
made in a factory that produces other things that use chemicals.

Charlie

"Emilia" wrote in message
Do you mean she won't find it cheap?
Organic as in "had no pesticides used on the cotton" does exsist.

"Charlie" wrote in
:

Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides used
on the cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the
first type, unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.

Charlie.

m...

Old August 28th 03, 12:23 AM

Organic fabric source needed

(Charlie) opined:
Really? Mad. They must use chemicals in it sometime. Or else it will be
made in a factory that produces other things that use chemicals.
--------------------------------
No, not at all mad, not at all made in a factory which uses
chemicals. Why do you assume that is so, Charlie?
There is a growing market here in the States for natural fibers which
are untreated by chemicals. Formaldehyde, and other fiber/fabric
processing chemicals are increasingly being blamed for a myriad of
illnesses.
The products turned out by non-chemical processes carry a stiff price
tag, and the scientists have bred cotton which has natural
colorations---dusky colors, green, and a palish rusty red, among others.
Humming the boll weevil song...
Cea a veritable font of semi-useless trivia
---------------------------------
"Emilia" wrote:
Do you mean she won't find it cheap?
Organic as in "had no pesticides used on the cotton" does exsist.
---
"Charlie" wrote:
Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides used on
the cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the first type,
unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.
Charlie.
"LucyD" wrote: Anyone know where in the UK or

Old August 28th 03, 12:57 AM
Jane VR

Charlie wrote:
Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides used on the
cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the first type,
unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.

Charlie.

Yes, organically grown hemp might be cheaper. I don't know a source, though,

jane

Old August 28th 03, 01:38 AM
duh who

"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...
Charlie wrote:
Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides used on

the
cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the first type,
unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.

Charlie.

Yes, organically grown hemp might be cheaper. I don't know a source,

though,

jane

Would hemp be necessarily scratchier than linen?

Old August 28th 03, 04:58 AM
Jane VR

duh who wrote:
"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...

Charlie wrote:

Organic as in looks natural, or organic as in "had no pesticides used on

the

cotton"? I dount you'll ever find the latter! As for the first type,
unfinished muslim is good from fabric shops.

Charlie.

Yes, organically grown hemp might be cheaper. I don't know a source,

though,

jane

Would hemp be necessarily scratchier than linen?

I haven't used it, just checked it out at markets etc. It didn't seem
particularly scratchy. It is supposed to get softer with washing.

jane

Old August 28th 03, 09:19 AM
Charlie

But, unless that factory has no chemicals in it and the she where it's sold
has no chemicals in it and then it must be transported in an air tight
container, what's the point when you're going to go home and expose it to
chemicals? I mean, everyone washes their clothes in chemicals, or washes
their hands in chemicals etc. So it's never going to be truely organic.
Besides, what's the difference between that and normal cotton? I'm not
trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand!

Charlie.

Old August 28th 03, 10:03 AM
Sally Holmes

"LucyD" wrote:
Anyone know where in the UK or
Europe I can source organic fabrics suitable for cushion making? I
have only found a couple of places so far, both expensive. Any ideas
much appreciated.

The Soil Association, http://www.soilassociation.org/textiles, gives a list
of suppliers of organic fabrics. Except for the wools it seems to be all
clothing but it may be worth contacting the manufacturers and asking where
they buy their fabrics.

I found this through a simple google.co.uk search for "organic cotton",
restricted to the UK. Did you try something like that?

If you're looking at the organic/vegetarian market, you do know that silk is
a no-no, don't you?

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Winter Wonderland Swap frood Quilting 3 November 13th 04 02:04 AM
Fabric Shopping in Paris Natalie Quilting 9 October 13th 04 05:59 PM
Source needed for tag board Pitcairnia Glass 2 April 17th 04 01:52 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM