Wondering about Webhosting

Old November 20th 03, 11:35 PM
skyrider

I just started my website and ot my webosting free from a great webhost.
They are from the uk and just starting here in the us. If your from the us
or canada its free for 3 years . (No ads from them either)You can also get
domain names from them for something like $10 ( I had mine). I needed a lot
of help setting up my site and never had to wait more than a half hour for
an answer. They even give you free software for doing your webpage and it
has an intergrated paypal shopping cart thingy with it. www.1and1.com I
really do reccomend them.

---

Old November 20th 03, 11:37 PM
Helen Page

Charlie wrote:
I got mine from nameroute.co.uk - they also have a .com. They're very
reasonably priced.

£14 for a .co.uk? I guess as it includes hosting that's not bad... I use
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/affiliate.cgi?id=AF16612 - I paid £6.79 for mine (2
yrs), though they're doing a promo at the mo which knocks a few pence off
that, hosted at http://www.dayanahost.com - from $5.99/yr which is less than
£4.

Old November 20th 03, 11:38 PM
skyrider

man i need coffee lol please excuse the typos, lol I am the typo queen of
the net. And to all of you that wrote when i introduced myself and was so
missing my beading ... I finally get my inheritance in 10 days then talk
about going on a buying spree lol I can't wait

Old November 21st 03, 12:38 AM
angela

I have several domains registered through Dotster and I use Fatcow for my
webhosting. Really nice folks, based in New Mexico. I haven't needed help
often, but when I do, they're responsive, helpful and pleasant.

ang.
____________________________
angelfish baubles
http://angelfish-baubles.com

"Karen_AZ" wrote ...
Hi everyone!

I'm getting ready to take the plunge to get a REAL domain and website

going
again. I have an appointment with my bank this afternoon to talk about
setting up a merchant account. I really want to wean myself from Paypal

and
possibly Ebay eventually (at least the store aspect). I don't have a

problem
with the Ebay store, exactly, I just know there are folks out there who
don't want to use Ebay and quite honestly why should they get the cut if I
can go it on my own? Obviously a slow process but worth considering, I

hope.

Anyway. Step 1 is obviously registering my domain. Ideally I wanted
Desertdreamer.com but that's already taken. .biz is unavailable too. I
thought maybe short & sweet was the best way to go, so I have a few other
possibilities in mind. A local friend mentioned godaddy.com for

registration
and webhosting and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with them?
They seem to be pretty professional, I like the private domain info

service
they have, and their hosting is inexpensive with a lot going for it. I

NEED
a site no matter what, because the space I get from my ISP is dwindling
rapidly.

Thanks for any input.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old November 21st 03, 02:12 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:44:14 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

Hi everyone!

Anyway. Step 1 is obviously registering my domain. Ideally I wanted
Desertdreamer.com but that's already taken.

A lot to be said for short and sweet, but I noticed
that desertdreamerbeads.com is still available.......

Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~~ Albert Camus
Old November 21st 03, 02:32 AM
Barbara Otterson

wrote:
A local friend mentioned godaddy.com for registration
and webhosting and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with them?
They seem to be pretty professional, I like the private domain info service
they have, and their hosting is inexpensive with a lot going for it. I NEED
a site no matter what, because the space I get from my ISP is dwindling
rapidly.

My site is hosted on general hosting. It's been up for
3 years. The site has been down once during all that time
(that I know of), and that was for less than an hour. Since
my e-mail is routed thru my site, I know if it goes down,
as I check my mail too often every day.....
Their prices are reasonable too.
I remember when I first bought my domain name, I was
soooooo ****ed that Microsquash had purchased Dreamweaver.
I was using the name long before anybody every heard of
Billy Gates. Dreamweaverstudio.com is long, but I didn't
want to change my name after using the name for so long.
When I first bought it, I went thru Register.com. 35.00/yr
for domain registration! Of course, they were one of the
first and everybody was charging in that range. I switched
to someone else when the renewal came up, for 8.95/yr
for transfers. 9.95 after that. I know I could get it even
cheaper now, but a dollar or 2 a year isn't worth the
hassle.
Whoever you go thru, make sure that they don't give
people who try to go with someone else later on a hard
time. Some companies will douse you in gasoline and
make you jump through hoops of fire before they will
let you go.
When you set up your site -- you own it. Everywhere
it says owner (or the like) on the form, make certain
that your name is in the box, not the company's name
that 's hosting. There are companies out there that will
take control of your domain name that way. Watch out
for them.

Old November 21st 03, 03:43 AM
Mike

Hi Karen,

GoDaddy's good for domain reg, and one of the cheapest. However, watch
out during the registration process for all the extra services they
try to sell you. And just cuz you're registering your domain name with
GoDaddy doesn't mean you have to host there. Also, before getting your
domain at Godaddy, check out some of these website hosting reviews, as
some hosts offer free domain registration with your hosting account:

http://SterlingReport.com/business/domains-hosting.html

I'm not sure from your email if you want to do eCommerce -- the web
hosting companies reviewed offer very inexpensive hosting all the way
up to full eCommerce sites. If you want eCommerce, check out this
Yahoo Business account too!

http://sterlingreport.com/cgi/hosting_yahoo.html

-Mike

Old November 21st 03, 08:26 PM
Charlie

But then, firstly I had to find somewhere that would accept my debit card,
and secondly, almost everywhere else is actually more expensive! Their
merchant sites aren't too bad either and upgrades are very easily done. I
have to confess, I also paid the extra for a very detailed stats page so I
can see things about people who visit my page.

Charlie.

Old November 22nd 03, 12:15 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article xb6vb.4$ZE1.1@fed1read04,
"Karen_AZ" wrote:

[...]

My sweet DH does web hosting and is also an ecommerce application
programmer; he does the invisible stuff that make it so online shopping
systems work. If you're interested, his hosting website is
http://www.spaceplex.com, and his programming website is
http://www.moxleydata.com. He did my website, including the vendor
interface (which is neat - I just fill out the price and description,
and select which photos I want to use, and it uploads the pics from my
computer) and shopping cart. I designed it, so don't blame that part on
him!

He also did the merchandise database and shopping cart/checkout for
http://www.monstervintage.com, and many other less interesting sites.
(One sells business forms, and another... well, I don't actually know
what the heck Gartner does. Something computer-y.)

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com