Best source for foam?

Old August 8th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_2_]

Default Best source for foam?

Hello folks,

You've been ever so helpful lately with the ideas on yo-yos and pom-poms
that I thought I'd ask for help one more time. I want to make cushions
for our hard wooden chairs in the kitchen. I have some great fabric for
the covers, but know that if I use regular cushions they will be smashed
fairly flat, fairly quickly. I would rather use some sort of foam, but
there is no store which carries that sort of thing anywhere near me.
Does anyone know of a good source for firm foam for making cushions?
The sort that is pretty firm, but you can cut to fit the chair... or
possible already round-shaped for old-fashioned wooden chairs?

Cheers!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 8th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Jo,

Do you have any upholstery shops near you? Or maybe they're called
re-upholstery shops? If so, you might try calling one to see if they can
help.

Judie

Old August 8th 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone[_2_]

In message HFo7o.59449$806.41988@hurricane, Jo Gibson
writes
Hello folks,

You've been ever so helpful lately with the ideas on yo-yos and
pom-poms that I thought I'd ask for help one more time. I want to make
cushions for our hard wooden chairs in the kitchen. I have some great
fabric for the covers, but know that if I use regular cushions they
will be smashed fairly flat, fairly quickly. I would rather use some
sort of foam, but there is no store which carries that sort of thing
anywhere near me. Does anyone know of a good source for firm foam for
making cushions? The sort that is pretty firm, but you can cut to fit
the chair... or possible already round-shaped for old-fashioned wooden chairs?

Cheers!

-- Jo in Scotland

Do you have a Dunelm store near you. There are some in Scotland and they
sell foam for cushions. I believe they do mail order too.
I bought one from my local store for my DH's chair to raise him up.
Shirley
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/webapp/wc...?freeText=foam
&storeId=10551&catalogId=11100&langId=-1
--
Shirley Shone

www.allcrafts.org.uk

Old August 8th 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I suggest you Google for 'latex suppliers'.
Dunlopillo always used to advertise in the papers, but I don't know
whether they still do. You could Google for them - I imagine they are
still in business? You do want latex for a cushion pad, because the
ordinary foam will get squashed flat even more quickly than a cushion
pad.

If you do get some, and it needs shaping, I had good results from
drawing the shape with a marker pen, and cutting on that. It is very
difficult to cut 'by eye', as it keeps flopping about and getting
squeezed into a different shape by the scissors (I did use scissors for
latex - it is easier for me than a knife).
..

In message HFo7o.59449$806.41988@hurricane, Jo Gibson
writes
Hello folks,

You've been ever so helpful lately with the ideas on yo-yos and
pom-poms that I thought I'd ask for help one more time. I want to make
cushions for our hard wooden chairs in the kitchen. I have some great
fabric for the covers, but know that if I use regular cushions they
will be smashed fairly flat, fairly quickly. I would rather use some
sort of foam, but there is no store which carries that sort of thing
anywhere near me. Does anyone know of a good source for firm foam for
making cushions? The sort that is pretty firm, but you can cut to fit
the chair... or possible already round-shaped for old-fashioned wooden chairs?

Cheers!

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Old August 8th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Now that you mention cutting the latex, Pat, I believe I had good results by
carving with an electric knife. No kidding. Polly

Old August 8th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I have done that with poly (whatever) foam, but not with latex. I'm
amazed it worked well. I will remember. Thanks for the tip!
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old August 9th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

When you do use the electric knife make sure you have it at a 90° angle. I
use to cut foam as part of my job at the fabric store (locally
owned/operated). Boss showed me how to do it.
PRACTICE it first and then check how 'straight' up/down the cut is

Butterfly

foam rubber Mike Savad Sewing 1 August 28th 08 10:40 PM
Anyone Carving Foam? GaryR52 Carving 2 July 25th 05 11:55 PM
Almost Leather vs. Fun Foam vs....? Someone Rubberstamps 0 September 18th 04 03:10 AM
suggestions for type of foam? C. Zun Skretene General Crafting 1 December 15th 03 01:22 PM
Foam instead of polyester batting ruffian125 Quilting 1 August 26th 03 04:54 PM