Artistic Exploration and Self Discovery while stuck in the Boondocks

Old July 4th 03, 08:39 AM
ROBB

Default Artistic Exploration and Self Discovery while stuck in the Boondocks

I am moving back to the boondocks.
The unstable economy and limited personal resources dictate so.
I have a stable home / shop paid for in the boondocks.
I have a very good basic foundation in technical skills ( jewelry &
lapidary )
I also have the foundation of a good small ( jewelry & lapidary )
shop.
I can not now and probally will never be able again to attend schools
above the local Junior College level. This pulls a big vacuum.

Telecommuting and distance learning remain options, but the viability
of these for learning artistic rendering and expression does not
impress me.
Self directed learning and interaction with local artists seem to be
my best option.

So what is the best way to begin ?
I need suggestions for books, sources, resources, websites, State and
National foundations .

I need a Grass Roots movement to return Culture to our culture.
Down with eliteism in the Arts, ART FOR THE MASSES.

Enough rabble rousing .
I need to create an enriching environment for the Arts in the
Boondocks.
And I do not mean a social circle with artistic overtones. another
big vacuum

I am leaving Saturday to begin my trek back into the boondocks.
Your help, support and prayers will be apreciated .

ROBB
Old July 6th 03, 06:01 PM
Willow

Hi Robb,
This group is filled with extremely capable and talented people so I
won't pretend I can give you the kind of advice they can-my area of
expertise is gemology anyway (though I do some hobby work.) However, I
can recommend you start with your local gem and mineral society. I
belong to mine and I have no idea whether it's representative or not
but there is an amazing cross-section of experience there. There are a
couple of university geology profs (including my own from 20 years
ago-believe it or not), several jewelers and store owners, lots of
rockhounds, and people who do lapidary and beadwork for a living, a
retired pair of goldsmiths and assorted hobbyists who know about
everything under the sun. There are field trips and Saturday classes
in everything from beading on looms to silversmithing for next to
nothing.

Old July 6th 03, 06:47 PM
Leo

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:39:30 GMT, (ROBB)
wrote:

I am moving back to the boondocks.

what boondocks where?

leo
Old July 14th 03, 05:03 AM
ROBB

Leo I am moving back to the boondocks.

what boondocks where?

leo

The boondocks are in this country's sargassso sea of lost or
missguided culture.
In this country the onlyculture to be found is in the buttermilk.

Should any of you ever wish to rent your house, I will recomened that
you ask your tennants if they or any member of their family have ever
appeared on the Jerry Springer show.

Homegoing is a a source of old contradictions in new clothes.

Still it was good to be standing on my property and being able to
visualize where the shop equipment and benches will go, The benches I
am taking next.

I have decided to work with art metals and silver for several reasons.
first the money issue. It is cheaper for materials.

Second it is less attractive to prospective robbers and thieves.
The material is less valueable and is also much more distinctive if
done with the desired care.

Next will be finding a market in the midst of this Sargasso sea.

Oh well I can at least drink beer with my buddies. and plan for our
own mini " Burning Man ferstival ".