A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Iron

Old September 18th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Iron

Well this morning I woke up raring to sew. I didn't waste time on
breakfast or caffeine. First thing I did was throw the front door
open so's I would have plenty of light to stitch by. Three cats heard
the door open and decided to lay in the sun streaming into the
livingroom, one on my sewing chair and another between the feet of
said chair, and the third begging for rubs while standing on the back
of DH's recliner. Well, this just wouldn't do. I fling open all the
curtains, thus creating new choice sunbathing areas and manage to herd
the first two cats out of the sewing zone while giving loads of rubs
to the third one. Ah, now the sewing area is mine again.

I have three blocks already cut out for sewing and I begin on one.
Several seams later I must pause to press seams and such before I can
finish the first block, but I decide it would be better to sew parts
of another block or two, do all the pressing at once, and then finish
sewing all three. Sounds good, less time wasted going back and forth
to the ironing board. So I get out the second block's pieces and set
to work.

Immediately the machine refuses to play nice. Well my best bet for a
quick return to sewing is to re-thread the whole machine and go ahead
and take the time to clean and oil it's innards while I've got the
bobbin case out. I haven't the slightest which process it needs, but
curing all possibilities at once seems to make the machine happy so
that is what I've learned to do. Now that's done, and I've sewn on
the tester cloth, and all is right again to sew on the second block.

The first four pieces of the second block join their other halves and
all is well. I take out the next batch of pieces and sew them
quickly. It's a simple matter of joining squares at each end of two
strips, and I'm on a roll. Lovely 1/4 inch seams. Open them and I
have sewn the squares on backwards so that I have a strip consisting
of one square right side up, center wrong side up, and another square
right side up. The real kicker--I have made two of these strips
exactly alike. Hahahaha.

I have now unsewn those funny strips and sewn them back correctly. Now
it's time for pressing, but I think I'm ready for breakfast. If I set
up the ironing board now the cats are likely to use it as a jungle gym
whilst I'm eating so I think I'll leave it down for now.

I could have kept the whole story a secret because re-worked blocks
tell no tales, but then you wouldn't have had this nice story to read
today.

Tune in next time for..............More Adventures in Piecing!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 18th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Sep 18, 12:28 pm, Debra wrote:
[...]

See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

ROFL!! i think we all have had mornings like that!
amy

Old September 19th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Debra wrote:
[...]

Your jolly tale has cheered me up, and today I need that! So THANK YOU!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!