Can an enamelled cast iron cooking pot be reglazed on the inside?

Old March 1st 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Can an enamelled cast iron cooking pot be reglazed on the inside?

Hi,

I am new to this group.

I am not a potter, but I have a question that potters might be able to
answer.

I have a set of 3 nesting enamelled cast iron Dutch ovens.

They were made shortly after WWII in Holland and are now considered
collectables.

One of them I used as a "steamer" by filling it with water and setting
it on the wood stove.

I pretty much ruined the interior enamel, which instead of being white,
hard smooth and shiny is now light brown, rough and porous.

Is there any way to re-enamel the inside without ruining the outside
which is in good condition (hand painted tulip motif)?

Is there anybody who does this professionally? Could it be done by a
potter in a kiln?

Any ideas?

Ken Seggerman
Old March 2nd 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

I'm certainly no expert but here are a couple of things to consider:

1. For collectibles, usually altering the original finish by, for instance,
refinishing means reducing the item's value significantly.

2. What you are asking about is more akin to "enameling" a metal than it is
to pottery. I'd try a metalworking type of newsgroup. There's an excellent
NG for welding. Maybe someone there has worked in the metals enameling
industry and can help.

3. I'm guessing enameling the interior of a cast iron piece involves firing
the whole thing. It probably would have an effect on the exterior
decoration. Chances are, when it was manufactured both the inside and
outside finishes were put on at the same time with a single firing. Just a
guess.

Good luck. If you learn anything about the subject let us know. I've
always wanted to do some mixed ceramic/metal pieces, but have never had a
clue where to begin.

Fred

Old March 4th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

They will no longer be of any worth as a collectible if you in any way
change them. They will be simply iron and enamel pots.

Old March 5th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

dkat wrote:
They will no longer be of any worth as a collectible if you in any way
change them. They will be simply iron and enamel pots.

I agree, but it's interesting that if it's art, (like the DuChamps
urinal/fountain or Michaelangelo pieta that got smashed), it can be
painstakingly reconstructed and resurrected by conservators. The same
process to an antique would diminish its value.
Odd world.
Brad Sondahl

--
For my comics, pottery how-to videos, original art, music, pottery, and
literature, visit my homepage

Old March 6th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Ken Seggerman" wrote in message
Hi,

I am new to this group.

I am not a potter, but I have a question that potters might be able to
answer.

I have a set of 3 nesting enamelled cast iron Dutch ovens.

They were made shortly after WWII in Holland and are now considered
collectables.

One of them I used as a "steamer" by filling it with water and setting it
on the wood stove.

I pretty much ruined the interior enamel, which instead of being white,
hard smooth and shiny is now light brown, rough and porous.

[That's hard to believe. Are you sure it was vitreous enamel, and not
"enamel" paint? Vitreous enamel, as is used in cookware, is pretty
impervious stuff; it shouldn't be affected by temperatures under 1200F or
so. Did you boil it dry and keep it heating for hours afterwards? Did it get
red-hot? Are you sure it's not just some stuff on the surface concealing the
enamel?]

Is there any way to re-enamel the inside without ruining the outside which
is in good condition (hand painted tulip motif)?

[I'd say no. But if they aren't up to steaming some vegies, they don't sound
like something worth collecting anyway. Why don't you sell the remaining
two, and collect something else, like hand-made pottery for instance?]

Is there anybody who does this professionally? Could it be done by a
potter in a kiln?

Any ideas?

Ken Seggerman

[Nobody does this professionally; there's just not enough call for it. But
there are services that "re-enamel" cast-iron tubs, etc. They use an epoxy
compound for this, that might react in the way you recount, if heated on a
stove. That might be what happened with your Dutch oven, before it was sold
to you.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Old March 8th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Is there anybody who does this professionally? Could it be done by a
potter in a kiln?

Any ideas?

Ken Seggerman

Hello Ken

Sorry to hear about your pot. I had a problem with a le crueset dutch oven.
As you probably know, they are enameled inside. I left it on the stove by
accident and it burned dry and completely ruined the enamel. I phoned le
crueset to see if they could repair it and unfortunatley, they said the
enamel couldn't be repaired at all. I ended up throwing the pot away.

Not much help to you, I know. But it might be that you'll just have to live
with the enamel the way it is.

Marika