"ribbon" scarf

Old January 21st 04, 03:52 AM
Shirley Luton

Thanks, Mirjam. I'll give that one a try, too!

Shirley
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Shirley , i once had a ribbon thread and made a lacy summer shirt for
my daughter
number of stiches should be divisible in 5
row 1
k5 , k1 wrap x1, k1 wrap x2, k1 wrap x3, k1 wrap x2 , k1 wrap x1
,,,,repeat till end
row 2 knit the knit and loosen the wraps so their neighbour st will
elongate.
row 3 knit
row 4
k1 wrap x1, k 1 wrap x2 , k1 wrap x3, k1 wrap x2, k1, wrap x1, k5
,,,repeat till end of row
---------this 5 rows are your pattern ,,, show ribbong off very well ,

mirjam

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:11:28 GMT, "Shirley Luton"
wrote:

Hi all,
A while (like a year or so ) I bought a skein of 1/8" thick flat

"yarn"
(it's really more like ribbon). It's a really pretty, variegated
blue/green - looks kind of ocean-like. Anyway, I thought I'd make a

scarf.
Finally did it - just a plain garter stitch because I thought the colours
should sort of stand on their own. But, it doesn't look good at all.

So, a
couple of questions:

1. would you think that a lacier type of pattern might work, and does
anyone have any suggestions; or

2. to be honest, I never wear a scarf - I just couldn't think of

anything
else to make with it and it was sooooo pretty. Any other ideas on what
could be made. I was thinking of perhaps a basket, or maybe as an accent

on
a vest, or ???

Any ideas?

Shirley

Old January 21st 04, 11:10 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You are welcome ,,,, it was realy great to knit and in fact the shirt
is still owned by some body ,,, yesternight i suggested same pattern
to my neigghbour who bought a VERY thick thread to make a shawl ,,, as
her threads were so bulky , and in shop they adviced k2. p2 , she
tried it and hated the result ,,,, thus we had a fun time leafing
through piles of mags ,, untill i remembered that maybe such thick
thread , would be better treated just like ribbons ,, so we tried it
Excellent ,,,,, might i sugget to you that if you are sure about the
Shawl length ,,, you could guague and cast on all the lengthwise
stiches and knit it thus that the `wavy` pattern will go on the length
of it ,,,,,, long rows , but so few to knit !!!!::::
mirjam

Old January 21st 04, 05:06 PM
Shirley Luton

Hi Mirjam,
That's a great idea - seeing as the length of the scarf is going to be
predicated by the amount of yarn, I should be able to do a swatch and figure
it out.