Surface Embroidery Kits - Designs Influenced by Wm Morris

Old June 7th 04, 02:15 PM
sewingsusan

Default Surface Embroidery Kits - Designs Influenced by Wm Morris

Some of us have been lamenting the lack of surface embroidery kit
options. To add to the list of available embroidery kits for surface
embroidery, I offer you the following link. By Ann Chaves, of
Inglenook Textiles in California.
I just found this today, I had been to a website (this website?)
previously which listed some interesting William Morris embroidery
workshops at a library in California, but had not seen noted that Ann
Chaves offered kits. These kits MAY be brand new offerings, because I
really think I was at this site previously and she didn't have kits
available. Perhaps I just overlooked the kits previously, but I don't
think so...

http://www.typeandstitch.com (go to the site and click on "kits",
obviously)

Another place to look for pillow kits is www.annwallace.com Ann
Wallace, author of the book "Arts & Crafts Textiles" offers kits
influenced by American Arts & Crafts Era (mission style) motifs.

If you do a search for Dianne Ayres and "Arts & Crafts Period
Textiles" in oakland california, you'll find even more kits in this
genre.

ENJOY THE EYE CANDY!!

Susan
Old June 7th 04, 09:53 PM
Julie T in VA

Susan,
thanks for posting that information, my husband and I have been purchasing
mission-style furniture (Oh, if only we could afford Stickley!) and I was
thinking about some new textiles to go with! Those kits are lovely!!
Julie
Old June 7th 04, 10:47 PM
sewingsusan

Better yet, I'm enjoying having someone else do the preliminary research for
this month's EGA column. I still have to review the sites myself, but you
saved me having to think of a topic and search for sites.

Cool! You will send me a copy of the article?? :-)

I had an email exchange with Ann Chaves this AM and she told me that
she is moving her studio from her home to a commercial space with a
small needlework store. It should be ready to open it's doors in
August. She has also tracked down sources for silk embroidery thread
which is very similiar to that which was in the Arts & Crafts Period
embroidery kits. Here new kits for next fall will include silk
threads. Lastly, she will continue to offer a series of
classes/workshops on embroidery in the Arts & Crafts Period, including
designing classes and Wm Morris Embroidery Classes. After she moves
to her new site she will be holding the classes in her studio space.

If you email Ann with your snail mail address she will send you a
schedule of her workshops and a catalog of her kits. She has the only
"Arts & Crafts Period" kits for dresser scarfs and table runners, that
I know of. Plus, she will switch out the cotton perle thread for silk
on her existing kits, for an additional charge.

Karen - Where in CA do you live? How close is it to Pascedina? (I
know I spelled that wrong!) I talked to my friend Lisa this
afternoon, and we are seriously considering a trip to California next
fall to visit Ann's studio and attend her workshops. My friend will
use any excuse for a trip out to CA and her husband does plenty of
flying for work, so she has extra frequent flyer miles to burn.

In the mean time I will order one of Ann's kits, but have her switch
out the threads with silk - because I feel silks are more "special"
;-)

Blessings,
Susan Davis
Old June 7th 04, 11:55 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Could you repost the link, please? I've been watching this thread with
interest. :-)
Dianne

sewingsusan wrote:
I had an email exchange with Ann Chaves this AM and she told me that
she is moving her studio from her home to a commercial space with a
small needlework store. It should be ready to open it's doors in
August. She has also tracked down sources for silk embroidery thread
which is very similiar to that which was in the Arts & Crafts Period
embroidery kits. Here new kits for next fall will include silk
threads. Lastly, she will continue to offer a series of
classes/workshops on embroidery in the Arts & Crafts Period, including
designing classes and Wm Morris Embroidery Classes. After she moves
to her new site she will be holding the classes in her studio space.

[snip]

Old June 11th 04, 09:43 PM
sewingsusan

Susan,
thanks for posting that information, my husband and I have been purchasing
mission-style furniture (Oh, if only we could afford Stickley!) and I was
thinking about some new textiles to go with! Those kits are lovely!!
Julie

Susan he Sorry, I got busy and didn't have a chance to answer
these questions right away.

Julie, Congrads on your new Stickly furniture! I'm jealous! You may
want to check out two Vogue Pillow Patterns for Embroidered Pillows in
the Mission-Style. One of the patterns numbers is 7462 - I don't have
the other pattern number handy, but it's on the facing page in the
pattern book at your local fabric store. (Check out the page before
these patterns, for a pattern of beaded Art Noveau pillows.) I also
saw on Ebay this an Ann Wallace table runner kit for $19.95, the
seller had 7 availble, plus three completed, handcrafted, pillows from
"Ann Wallace & Friends". Judging from the other items this seller had
available, I would say he is a retail seller of arts & crafts period
items, both antiques and reproductions. He said these Ann Wallace
items are overstocks. Search under "Ann Wallace" on ebay and you
should find them.

The Vogue patterns call for DMC floss, which is okay, but it's not
what they used most often a century ago for this type of embroidery
work. I have been doing quite a bit of research. Cotton perle #5 is
a closer historical match in cotton threads, but embroiders at that
time really loved to use silk threads. Silk was popular because the
silk industry promoted patterns and kits in women's magazines. As far
as I can tell, from my research thusfar, they prefered twisted reeled
or filament silk (similiar to cotton perle)- often referred to as rope
silk. When the silk industry hit hard times in the mid-1920s replaced
silk threads, the rayon was known as "art silk".

I have been searching for similiar modern threads, and am in the
process of ordering samples and testing them.

FYI - There are two types of silk threads. Reeled or filament threads
are unwound from the silk cacoon in one LONG strand and then (because
they are so thin) twisted with other strands. Spun silk is made just
as wool or cotton is made, from the "waste product" of the cacoons.
Did you know that spun silk was considered inferior and banned through
much of history?? Spun silk is not as shiny as reeled/filament silk,
but it is easier to work with than reeled silk.

Dianne - the website for Ann Chava's site is;

www.typeandstitch.com She will have a new website with a new address
in August when she opens her new retail store. This fall Ann will be
adding additional kits for arts & crafts inspired textiles - and these
will include silk threads. She is converting one of her current kits
to silk threads for me, because I so wanted to experience working
designs like this in silk.

You may also want to check out these sites, Ann Wallace and Dianne
Ayres have both written books about American Arts & Crafts Texitles.
They use Cotton Perle (probably #5, that's what Ann Chaves said she
uses) in their kits. I am going to order my first kit from Ann Chaves,
because I want the silk threads. :-)

www.annwallace.com

www.textilestudio.com

I am oalso rdering some spun silk threads from Vikki Clayton for the
butterfly (view B) pillow on Vogue Pattern 7462. These threads aren't
exactly reproduction silks, but they are very nice and will help me
decide if I want to go with reeled silk or the easier to manipulate
spun silk. I am also getting some reeled silk from Vikki, although she
is discontinuing her line of reeled silk :-(. Vikki has been
wonderful in helping me figure out the type of silks which were used
in the Arts & Crafts period, she pointed me to reeled silk and I think
she may be correct in her assesment that reeled silk is more
authentic. She even sent me some samples so I could figure out which
weight I wanted to go with, I decided I preferred #8.

I will let you know as I further decide on which silk threads to use
for the reproduction-style Arts & Crafts Textiles I am planning. Ann
Wallace reminded me in an email exchange that the Arts & Crafts
Movement is a living movement, so I can decide, as a modern textile
artist, to go with materials which aren't exact what was used "way
back when".

Although I joking talked about designing patterns or kits, my real
thoughts at this time is to make Arts & Crafts Style pillows and
runners for reproduction furniture showrooms. There are many craftmen
in this area who specialize in making quality, handcrafted,
reproduction Mission/Stickley Furniture. I think I could perhaps make
a dime or two selling pillows at these outlets, if I can get my foot
in the door. I first need to decide on the materials I will use and
also plan my own designs - my designs would be inspired by arts &
crafts era designers, but not exact duplicates. Although I have
learned that some of the designs from a century ago are no longer
under copyright (Stickly's designs, for one.) (I wouldn't want to do
anything someone else is doing, where's the artistry in that?) Well,
that's the gameplan... lot's of planning and practice is needed
before I kick off this little business idea.

I like Ann's workshops and designs, she's doing what I was talking
about; providing modern designs for the "Pottery Barn" generation
(for lack of a better description.) These are simple, clean, stylized
designs. They evoke feelings of peace and tranquility. I believe
they reflect the design-style of the post-baby boomer generation.
Although they are inspired by an earlier era in design, they are still
refreshing and modern. Inspired by nature, as was the arts & crafts
era designs, and at times so abstract that it's difficult to identify
the item being depicted (another trait of the Arts & Crafts era
designs). While looking at designs of this style I find myself
getting almost almost mesmorized as my eyes slide over, up & down the
curves and lines of the design. I feel they are soothing and
comforting in a complex and complicated world.

Julie - I personally am not big into owning "the actual antiques" of
the arts & crafts era. The real gift that period gave us was the
design style which is still (or again) recognized for it's simplistic
beauty. I would have no problem with owning reproduction furniture,
as long as it is well-built - because it was the quality of
workmanship which was of supreme importance to designers of that time.
And as I stated, Stickley's designs are no longer under copyright
restriction, so you likely got the "real deal" - only crafted a
century later!

Blessings, Susan
Old June 11th 04, 09:59 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Thanks for the web site info (Ann Chava).

Have you tried Kanagawa silk? I believe this might be the "rope" silk
you are referring to. Lacis has it. I've used it. It looks like a
rope, is filament (shiny) and is extraordinarily beautiful when
stitched. Pearl threads are modestly twisted. Isn't Sirica a pearl?
My head is swimming with other stuff today, and I simply can't remember.

Dianne

Old June 12th 04, 04:37 PM
sewingsusan

Have you tried Kanagawa silk? I believe this might be the "rope" silk
you are referring to. Lacis has it. I've used it. It looks like a
rope, is filament (shiny) and is extraordinarily beautiful when
stitched. Pearl threads are modestly twisted. Isn't Sirica a pearl?
My head is swimming with other stuff today, and I simply can't remember.

Funny you should mention it - I think I will be getting some Kanagawa
silk to play with in a week or two. I have been emailing a woman who
primarily does needlepoint and no longer can see well enough to do
petit point. She sold me some appleton crewel threads, and when I
asked her about silk threads which she may have for sale she told me
she had some Kanagawa. I am waiting her reply regarding colors,
quantity and pricing. She also has some Au Voir (the stuff you sell,
Dianne) but I don't think that's what I am looking for so I passed on
it.

This woman designs her own needlepoint and sent me some photos of her
work - beautiful!!! I had considered needlepoint to be uncreative
(sorry, surface embroideress snobishness rearing it's ugly head) - but
not if you are working your own designs as this woman does. This
woman also told me that she took classes from Elsa Williams years ago
(Elsa is now deceased.)

I have not run across "Sirica" - or is that from Krenik?? Krenik has
one line of twisted silk "Sori Perlee", I think (??) which is being
discontinued. It'a available on the "yard sale" portion of their site,
for cheap.

I have discovered that there are only a few manufacturers of silk -
most dyers have the same "base thread" and the difference is only in
the dying skill and color selection. Pricing is largely dependant on
the company's marketing strategy. Vikki Clayton's product is very
affordable because her only outlet is her online retail store - no
middleman. But her product is virtually the same as other
manufacturers who distribute to your LNS. The only difference being
the color selection, not at all the quality of the silk thread - in
most cases.

At least, this is what my research is telling me - I got that tidbit
from the Caron Collection site.

I will have to see if Kanagawa has a different "twist" than
perle-style silk threads. I am itching to get samples in my hands
(and needle!)

Admittedly, I am ordering Ann Chave's kit with silk threads to see
what she is using for silk threads. She said she did a lot of
searching to find the correct silk threads. I could, I suppose,
simply ask her what brand of silk she is using, she MIGHT tell me.
But i thought it would be kind (and fun) to support her research by
purchasing a kit from her. But it is pricey when converted to silks! I
had to put off purchasing it until next month, but I am getting an
extra (big) check next month - so that works out well. Although I need
to do more than simply have with this check (love using that
acrynom! It is filtered out of my computer if I type the letters
together, my computer is my daughter's loaner computer from her online
charter school and they have hidden software on it which is does an
incredible job filtering. Good for parental peace of mind, but I
can't even reach some of the discussions on this list!)

BTW, Pearsells in England has a ton of surface embroidery kits. A lot
of birds and such, but as you page through them you will find some
non-traditional designs. Their silk is the stranded variety, which I
am not interested in for my reproduction plans, but I thought I should
mention their kits. I was at their site several weeks ago and it
seems to me that they didn't have as much available then as they did a
couple of days ago when I visited the site again. But maybe it's like
when you are driving a new car - after our discussions here these past
few weeks! Regardless, I don't think anyone has mentioned their kits
here. Do a search for silk and Pearsell's and you should find it no
problem.

Blessings,
Susan
Old June 12th 04, 04:50 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

YLI makes a stranded variety which I detest - it's spun silk and very
fine strands. However, re the Kanagawa, if you will email me your snail
mail, I'll send you a sample. The Kanagawa comes in 2 sizes, I believe.
I have the smallest.

Kreinik has a 3-ply filament sold as Serica. I'm not fond of Au ver a
Soie - it's spun silk and rather fuzzy. I sell Madiera, which is not
what you want, either.

I was unaware of the Pearsell's kits. That's the beauty of RCTN - we
get people like you hunting all this stuff up for us.

Actually, a LOT of canvas embroidery is extraordinary these days. But I
prefer to do what I'm doing.

Dianne

V & A Museum Surface Embroidery kit DMC sewingsusan Needlework 27 June 3rd 04 10:57 PM
kinds of embroidery! ws Needlework 1 April 15th 04 05:42 PM
machine embroidery designs for sale margret singleton Marketplace 0 February 12th 04 01:03 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM